The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting out as a music composer
Old 20th October 2016
Starting out as a music composer

Hey guys!

Ive been producing for about 16 years now and about a year ago I started focusing on music for tv, movies and commercials. I scored an indie horror film that will be out in theatres in march and I am working with an agent who is trying to get my music into some of the bigger libraries such as killer tracks and start getting my stuff licensed. I plan to register with BMI, Ascap and Sesac when I start getting some of music picked up. Am I moving in the right direction?

I would love to hear what suggestions you would have for some one starting off in my position. What would you wish you knew when you got started? I know the key is to get to the creative directors at some of the bigger networks but should I just sending of EPKs to fox and warner brothers? How did you build your network and get your start? Thanks so much for any advice you are willing to share!
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Hey man congrats on scoring a film which will get a theatrical release!

That's already quite a leap you have within the context of 'just starting out'.
If the movie is any good and you're proud of it, then you share it on social media, make a website and put it up there with a bio, etc.
This alone may give you a bit of leverage when trying to get more work.

The people you want to reach out to are - obviously - film makers, directors, producers, etc., but also music supervisors if you have random tracks you'd like to get placed.
These are the decision makers with a lot of pull in the industry.
It's no easy task but with a bit of searching, there are resources with advice on how to reach out to them.

The topic of having an agent comes up every now and then, and the consensus is that they don't really help you get jobs, they help you negotiate the deal once you land a job. Personally, I don't know of any composer who uses an agent to send his music to libraries, but if you have a good one that's doing some of that legwork for you then all the better.

As for the music library universe, it's wide and vast, mostly filled with dark matter and sadly, ever expanding, to the point where the little shiny stars that make up their raison d'รชtre become increasingly devalued over the years, if not to say insignificant.

If an attempt at writing for tv commercials is on your agenda, then a decent audio reel - videos too if you had them - would go a long way. Again, create a website in a few hours using one of those just-add-water platforms (Squarespace, Wix), put up your best work and promote the crap out of it, send it to agencies, creative directors, music houses, etc.

And just so you know, you can only register with one PRO - be it ASCAP, BMI, etc.
I've been with ASCAP for 12 years and it's all been pretty smooth thus far.

Lastly, make sure your tracks are top notch.
I've used that term before and got some bewildered responses asking what the hell that means.
Listen to what's playing on tv, on commercials, in films, etc, listen to the production value.
That - is top notch.
No matter if it's a genre you love or hate, the production sounds polished, well mixed, etc, ready for broadcast.
Sending mediocre tracks to potential clients can pretty much end (at the very least, seriously delay) your career before it even had a chance to begin.

Everyone's path to where they are is different, but if I had to encompass it all in a few words.
Relationships - create them, maintain them, stay humble.
Timing - sometimes it's just about meeting the right person at the right time with a project that is a perfect fit.

Good luck.
Old 20th October 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 โžก๏ธ
Hey man congrats on scoring a film which will get a theatrical release!

That's already quite a leap you have within the context of 'just starting out'.
If the movie is any good and you're proud of it, then you share it on social media, make a website and put it up there with a bio, etc.
This alone may give you a bit of leverage when trying to get more work.

The people you want to reach out to are - obviously - film makers, directors, producers, etc., but also music supervisors if you have random tracks you'd like to get placed.
These are the decision makers with a lot of pull in the industry.
It's no easy task but with a bit of searching, there are resources with advice on how to reach out to them.

The topic of having an agent comes up every now and then, and the consensus is that they don't really help you get jobs, they help you negotiate the deal once you land a job. Personally, I don't know of any composer who uses an agent to send his music to libraries, but if you have a good one that's doing some of that legwork for you then all the better.

As for the music library universe, it's wide and vast, mostly filled with dark matter and sadly, ever expanding, to the point where the little shiny stars that make up their raison d'รชtre become increasingly devalued over the years, if not to say insignificant.

If an attempt at writing for tv commercials is on your agenda, then a decent audio reel - videos too if you had them - would go a long way. Again, create a website in a few hours using one of those just-add-water platforms (Squarespace, Wix), put up your best work and promote the crap out of it, send it to agencies, creative directors, music houses, etc.

And just so you know, you can only register with one PRO - be it ASCAP, BMI, etc.
I've been with ASCAP for 12 years and it's all been pretty smooth thus far.

Lastly, make sure your tracks are top notch.
I've used that term before and got some bewildered responses asking what the hell that means.
Listen to what's playing on tv, on commercials, in films, etc, listen to the production value.
That - is top notch.
No matter if it's a genre you love or hate, the production sounds polished, well mixed, etc, ready for broadcast.
Sending mediocre tracks to potential clients can pretty much end (at the very least, seriously delay) your career before it even had a chance to begin.

Everyone's path to where they are is different, but if I had to encompass it all in a few words.
Relationships - create them, maintain them, stay humble.
Timing - sometimes it's just about meeting the right person at the right time with a project that is a perfect fit.

Good luck.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

The movie is good not great. The music is great though and I will definitely use it on my demo reel once its released.

In terms of an "agent" its just a friend of mine who works within one of the top advertising agencies in Hollywood in the licensing dept. and has a lot of great connections and is trying to hook me up with but I don't want to rely too much on him with out doing my own foot work.

I guess the real question is how would I can I reach out to music supervisors in a way that I will get noticed. I could dig around on the internet and find their emails and mass email them all my demo reel but I don't want them to feel like they are getting spammed. I could also mail them a thumb drive or cd but I don't know if they will reach any one. I understand its all about networking but where do I start?
Old 20th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots โžก๏ธ

I guess the real question is how would I can I reach out to music supervisors in a way that I will get noticed. I could dig around on the internet and find their emails and mass email them all my demo reel but I don't want them to feel like they are getting spammed.
Like I said, there are interviews and even a few videos where some of them mention how they prefer to be reached.
These people get inundated with music on a daily basis, so a little tact will go a long way.

Quote:
I could also mail them a thumb drive or cd but I don't know if they will reach any one. I understand its all about networking but where do I start?
No you don't want to mail them a thumb drive, not unless they ask for it.

I think a great - if not to say obvious - place to start is by creating the music and then putting it out there.
Create a Soundcloud page, network it, hopefully you'll have a track or two that can create some buzz, start attracting a fan base, etc.
Things like this are what may pique a music supervisor's interest in the wide landscape of available music.
You can read up on the artist Banks - she just uploaded a few tracks on SC a few years ago and it snowballed from there, now a solid pop act and dong quite well.
Old 20th October 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Banks is awesome.
Old 21st October 2016
Thanks again! I have watched most of the videos I have a website, twitter, fb and soundcloud with a few thousand followers but I don't have any music supervisors banging down my door quite yet. Is there any use in getting into libraries like revo stock, taxi or music dealers? I would love to represent myself and I feel like I could represent myself well to music supervisors but Im just having a hard time getting started on contacting them without just messaging them on twitter. Any thoughts?
Old 21st October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
I have a website, twitter, fb and soundcloud with a few thousand followers but I don't have any music supervisors banging down my door quite yet.
And they won't be banging down your door just yet.

Quote:
Is there any use in getting into libraries like revo stock, taxi or music dealers? I would love to represent myself and I feel like I could represent myself well to music supervisors but Im just having a hard time getting started on contacting them without just messaging them on twitter. Any thoughts?
You are asking the million dollar questions.

Not sure what else to add other than do a little more research right here on these forum in regards to libraries. They have been discussed ad nauseam, take note of the good, the bad, the ugly. I'd steer clear of any pay-to-play services like Taxi, etc., but you will read more about that of course.

Don't Twitter any music supervisors - unless you were totally joking - for that will be the end for you, and I'm not even kidding.

From what I gather you'll need to do some meet and greet at some point, in person.
Not sure where you live, but that is something that heavily comes into play in this business.
The internet is great and the content gets heard quickly, but being in the right place at the right time and meeting that one great contact can really be beneficial.
Old 21st October 2016
Well I do live outside of Los Angeles so I have that working for me. What events should I be attending? From what I understand Music libraries are a good way to get started but they take almost half of your publishing which is no good. Are there certain libraries you would suggest rather than others?
Old 22nd October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
From what I understand Music libraries are a good way to get started but they take almost half of your publishing which is no good.
Any music lib worth it's weight will take 100% of your publishing - not half.

Cheers.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Well I do live outside of Los Angeles so I have that working for me. What events should I be attending? From what I understand Music libraries are a good way to get started but they take almost half of your publishing which is no good. Are there certain libraries you would suggest rather than others?

Almost all of your questions can be answered with a bit of searching on this very forum.
They have been asked before, by many, so there is much to learn by informing yourself.
You'll come across many music library names, music house names, sometimes a link will be posted, sometimes not.
Go to their sites, listen to their work, what they're doing, what's being placed, etc.
Contact them, send them samples of your work if they ask, etc., get that ball rolling.

You do have to put some effort in and go digging, for the roots, you know...

Generally, you keep 100% of your writer's share, and 50% of your publishing.
Also, not sure what kind of music you compose, but the more versatile you are the better your chances at placements.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 โžก๏ธ
Generally, you keep 100% of your writer's share, and 50% of your publishing.
Really? Where is that?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat โžก๏ธ
Really? Where is that?
You are correct, it is a 100% nowadays, though I had a few better deals back in the day.
Old 22nd October 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Yeah - maybe long time ago, things were different. And if you had a better deal back then, well, good for you!

But in current times, the publisher gets 100% of the publishing, and the writer get's 100% of the writers. Typically, anyway... of course there are exceptions.

Cheers.
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Hey guys!

Ive been producing for about 16 years now and about a year ago I started focusing on music for tv, movies and commercials. I scored an indie horror film that will be out in theatres in march and I am working with an agent who is trying to get my music into some of the bigger libraries such as killer tracks and start getting my stuff licensed. I plan to register with BMI, Ascap and Sesac when I start getting some of music picked up. Am I moving in the right direction?

I would love to hear what suggestions you would have for some one starting off in my position. What would you wish you knew when you got started? I know the key is to get to the creative directors at some of the bigger networks but should I just sending of EPKs to fox and warner brothers? How did you build your network and get your start? Thanks so much for any advice you are willing to share!
Hey, I have a big list of music libraries for you to check out.

4 Elements Music โ— 4 Elements Music
5 Alarm Music โ— 5 Alarm Music | Your Music Concierge
Audiosparx โ— Commercial Music for Video, TV, Film and Media from AudioSparx.com
Audio Network โ— www.audionetwork.com
Audio Socket โ— www.audiosocket.com
Beat Pick โ— BeatPick: Music licensing for Film, Tv and Advertising use (license pre-cleared music)
Boost Music โ— Welcome to Boost Music | Production Music Library
Camboso โ— CAMBOSO URBAN PRODUCTION MUSIC - Your #1 Source For Urban Music
Catch the Moon Music โ— Catch The Moon Music
Coney Island Music โ— Coney Island Music Coney Island Music
Crucial Music โ— www.crucialmusic.com
De Wolfe Music โ— De Wolfe Music - Production Music, Music Sync and Licensing Consultancy, Recording and Music Supervision
Digital Assassin Music โ— Digital Assassin Music :: World's most dangerous library
DL Music โ— DL Music | Production Music Library and Indie Artist Catalogs available for licensing
Epitome Music โ— EPITOME MUSIC
Extreme Music โ— https://www.extrememusic.com/
FlikTrax โ— FlikTrax Music Licensing
Getty Image โ— www.musicportal.gettyimages.com/
Indigi Music โ— Indigi Music | Multi Music & Media Group, LLC
In The Groove Music โ— In the Groove
Iron Mike Entertainment โ— Iron Mike Entertainment
Jacarandรก Licensing โ— Jacarandรก Licensing
JinglePunks โ— www.my.jinglepunks.com
Los Angeles โ— Post Music LA Post Music, Inc. - Production Music Library for all media - Just Listen!
Luck Stock โ— www.luckstock.com
Manhattan Production Music โ— Manhattan Production Music
Megatrax โ— Megatrax (en)
Moonlab Music โ— http://www.moonlabmusic.com/
MoonShire โ— www.moonshine.tv
Motion Elements โ— After Effects templates, video stock footage, royalty-free music | ME
MusicBed โ— https://www.musicbed.com/
Music Beyond โ— Music Beyond
Music Dealers โ— Music Licensing Companies โ€“ Licensing Music For Film โ€“ Music Dealers
My Hiptunes โ— Artist Portal – A place for musicians to learn about stockmusic.net
Omnimusic โ— https://www.omnimusic.com/
Opus 1 Music โ— Opus 1 Music - Production Music Library and Licensing
Pond5 โ— www.pond5.com
Post Haste Music โ— Home | PostHaste Music
ShutterStock โ— Stock Photos, Royalty-Free Images and Vectors - Shutterstock
Soundscape Media โ— Soundscape Media | Boutique Music Licensing - Custom Music - Music Supervision
The Music Playground โ— | The Music Playground - Artist Licensing and Music Supervision
TrioST โ— TRIO | Home
Triple Scoop Music โ— Music Licensing for Video, Film & Photo - Triple Scoop Music
TuneFruit โ— www.tunefruit.com
Zudo Music โ— www.zudomusic.com
300 Monks โ— Royalty Free Music by 300 Monks
9 Lives Music โ— Search Gen Lite
Absolute Music Libary โ— Absolute Music
Action Media Music โ— Action Media Music | We connect you to the music
Amphibious Zoo Music โ— Amphibious Zoo Music - The Ultimate Production Music Library
Anger Music โ— Home - Anger Music
Apollo Live โ— Apollo Live
APM Music โ— http://www.apmmusic.com/
ARMS Production Music โ— Arms Production Music
Altitude Music โ— Homepage | Altitude Music
Audio Fount โ— http://www.audiofount.com/
Audio Hero โ— AudioHero - Download Royalty Free Music & Sound Effects
Audio Jungle โ— http://audiojungle.net/
Audio Machine โ— audiomachine
Audio Socket โ— http://audiosocket.com/
AudioMicro โ— Stock Music and Sound Effects | AudioMicro
Bandit Music โ— Bandit Music Online
BeatPick โ— BeatPick: Music licensing for Film, Tv and Advertising use (license pre-cleared music)
Beatpick โ— BeatPick: Music licensing for Film, Tv and Advertising use (license pre-cleared music)
Bibliotheque Music โ— Bibliotheque Music Library
Black Toast Music โ— Black Toast
Bleach Productions โ— Bleach Productions | Music in Motion
Boom Music โ— BOOM! Music
Boost Music โ— Welcome to Boost Music | Production Music Library
Brand X Music โ— Brand X Music | Brand X Music Catalogue
Brickwall Audio โ— BRICKWALL AUDIO Music & Sound Design
Briliant Music โ— Search Gen Lite
Cรฉzame Music Agency โ— Cezame Music Agency | Librairie Musicale | Illustration Sonore | Editions et Label de Musique pour l'Image | Synch Different !
Cinephonix โ— Cinephonix - Production Music | Stock Music Library | Quality Music for TV, Video and Online
Cinetrax โ— Cinetrax - Music for Motion Picture Advertising
City of The Fallen โ— City of the Fallen: MUSIC FOR MOTION PICTURE ADVERTISING
Clear Wave Music โ— Clear Wave Music, Production Music Library, Download Audio Tracks and Albums
Counter Music โ— Counter Music - Electronic Dance Music That Counts
Crocodile Music โ— CD Store | Crocodile
Crucial Music โ— https://www.crucialmusic.com/
Deep East Music โ— Deep East Music
Dennis Music โ— Dennis Music Production Music Library
DMS โ— Diverse Music Solutions - Music publishing, synchronisation and community projects. Diverse Music Solutions
Emergency Production Music โ— Emergency Production Music UK
EMI โ— https://www.emipm.com
Extreme Music โ— https://www.extrememusic.com/
Felt Music โ— Felt Music
Fired Earth Music โ— http://www.firedearthmusic.com/
FirstCom Music โ— FirstCom Music - Online Production Music Library
Fliktrax โ— FlikTrax Music Licensing
Focus Music โ— Focus Music
FPM Music โ— FPMMusic
Free Play music โ— Freeplay Music | Welcome | The best music library on the planet!
Fringe Element โ— Fringe Element | Kick Ass Trailer Music!
Frog Music Licensing โ— Frog Music Licensing
G Empire Music โ— http://gempiremusic.com/
Gamecues โ— http://gamecues.com/
Gargantuan Music โ— Gargantuan Music
Gothic Storm Music โ— Music :: Gothic Storm Music
HUM โ— Music Production Company London ยป HUM
Imagem Production Music โ— Cavendish | The Independent Production Music Library
Immediate music โ— Immediate Music
In-spired โ— Stimulating not imitating, Inspired
Indaba Music โ— http://www.indabamusic.com
Indiesonics โ— Indiesonics - Authentic Indie Production Music
Intervox โ— Intervox - Intervox Production Music Publishing GmbH/EN
Jamendo PRO โ— http://pro.jamendo.com/en/
JW Media Music โ— JW Media Music - Independent Production Music Specialists
Keep Clear Music โ— Keep Clear Music
Killer Tracks โ— Killer Tracks - Online Production Music Library Resource
Lablesound โ— http://www.labelsound.com
Lemoncake โ— Lemoncake | Redefining Production Music | Lemoncake
License Quote โ— Music Licensing : License Your Music : Licensing Store | LicenseQuote.com
Machiavelli Music โ— machiavellimusic
Magnatune โ— Magnatune: music downloads and licensing
Mango Reel โ— http://www.mangoreel.com/index.html
Matchless Music โ— matchlessmusic.net - Registered at Namecheap.com
Media Tracks โ— Mediatracks โ€“ Production Music Library with Jingles Commercials Incidental Music and Mood Music
MegaTrax โ— Megatrax (en)
MelodyLoops โ— Melody Loops Background Music Royalty Free Download
Mighty Generation Music โ— Mighty Generation Music
Million Ducks Music โ— https://www.millionducksmusic.com/
Moogang โ— Moogang Production Music | Home
Morph Productions โ— http://www.licensemusiconline.com
Music Dealers โ— Music Licensing Companies โ€“ Licensing Music For Film โ€“ Music Dealers
Music Factory Promotions โ— MUSIC FACTORY PROMOTIONS - Home
Music for sport โ— Sports Music | MUSIC FOR SPORT LTD | Sport music library
Music Hub โ— Music Hub
Music Junkies โ— Music Junkies
Music Licensing Store โ— http://www.musiclicensingstore.com
Music Loops โ— Royalty Free Music For YouTube, Film, TV and Websites
Music Supervisor โ— MS-PRO :: Created By Music Supervisors For Music Supervisors – Created By Music Supervisors For Music Supervisors
Musicrevolution โ— Royalty-Free Music from MusicRevolution
Muziko โ— Muziko
MX Licensing โ— Music Licensing of Hollywood
NaxosLicensing โ— Naxos - Home
Neo Sounds โ— https://www.neosounds.com/
No Sheet Music โ— Welcome to No Sheet Music
Noma Music โ— Noma Music - Music Licensing Companies, Music Publishing, Music Publishing Companies
Non-Stop Music โ— Non-Stop Music - Warner/Chappell Production Music
Paul Rodriguez Music โ— Paul Rodriguez Music
Persana Music โ— Home - Presana Music
Plan 8 Music โ— Plan 8 Music | The Best Online Production Music Library | TV, Film, Radio, Games, Multimedia And Web | UK Based
Poke Music โ— POKE music : HOME
Pop-Up Music โ— http://pop-upmusic.com/
Position Music โ— Position Music - Home
Power Music Licensing โ— Power Music Licensing
PPL โ— PPL - PPL licenses recorded music played in public
PPNZ โ— Recorded Music NZ ยฎ - We Love Music
Pro Sports Music Marketing โ— Pro Sports Music Marketing
Production Music License โ— http://productionmusiclicense.com/
Production Trax โ— Royalty Free Music, Sound Effects, Stock Music, Production Music | Productiontrax
Proof Sound โ— ::: proofsound ::: | audio branding
Pump Audio โ— Pump Audio | Welcome
RAB Rights Management โ— About - RAB Rights Management
Ravenwood โ— Ravenwood Music | The Production Music Boutique
Re Sound โ— http://www.resound.ca
Read Beard Music โ— http://www.redbeardmusic.com
Ricall โ— http://www.ricall.com
RipTide Music โ— Riptide Music Group
RSM โ— Reliable Source Music - Production Music Library
Rumblefish โ— Home - rumblefish.com
SATV โ— SATV Music
Sauce Music โ— Sauce Music | The production music library that discovers and supports great artists | Music for TV, film, radio, advertising, computer games, corporate video and online
SAVD โ— Select Audio-Visual Distribution
Scorekeepers Music โ— ScoreKeepers Music
Select Tracks โ— Selectracks
Sencit Music โ— Sencit Music - Music for Film and Game Trailers, Scoring, Artists and Remixing
Sentric Music โ— Sentric Music Publishing
Shockwave-sound โ— https://www.shockwave-sound.com/
SmartassMusic โ— SMARTassMusic - Music Production, Arranging, Composition | Music Production, Arranging, Composition
Soho Production Music โ— Soho Production Music | Eccentric, Vibrant & Unique Library Music
Song Catalog โ— SongCatalog.com Resource for Independent Music, Film and Advertising Agencies.
Songs To Your Eyes โ— Songs To Your Eyes
Sonoton โ— https://www.sonoton.com/
Sound Designs โ— : : SOUND DESIGNS - MUSIC FOR FILM & TV : : : : : : : : : : : :
Sound Ideas โ— https://www.sound-ideas.com
Sound Taxi โ— Gemafreie Musik / Lizenzfreie Musik / Production Music
Sound Tracktor โ— https://www.soundtracktor.com/
SoundLounge โ— SoundLounge | Music Licensing, Procurement, Branding & Management
SoundReef โ— In Store Music | Retail Music | Music Copyright โ€“ Soundreef
Spear Music โ— http://spear-music.com/
Squirky Music โ— The Squirky Music Library
Standard Music Libary โ— Standard Music Library
Steven Cravis โ— http://www.stevencravis.com
Stingray Music โ— Stingray Licensing - The leading music licensing solution
Syncfree Music โ— Syncfree Music | Your worldwide connection to world class music
Tafari Music โ— Tafari Music, Music Publishing and Licensing, Publishing Music, Music Lisensing, Get Busy, Hey Mama, License Get Busy, License Hey Mama, Music Lisensing, Music Lisencing, Music Licencing, Rastafarian Music, Reggae Music, Raggae Music, Regae Music
Tele Music โ— http://tele-music.com/
The Music Tracks โ— Site Selection
The Musicase โ— Royalty Free Music by The Music Case - Stock Music for Productions
The Perfect Music Libary โ— https://www.theperfectmusiclibrary.com/
Track Licensing โ— Welcome to Track Licensing
Transition Music โ— Transition Music Corporation
Tsunami Music โ— Tsunami Music | Composed Music, Music Searches, Music Consultants for Advertising, Brands, TV, Film and Video Games
Tumi Music โ— Latin Music | South American Music | Tumi Music Licensing
Tunefruit โ— https://www.tunefruit.com/
Twisted Jukebox โ— Production Music | Library Music | Music for TV Productions
Ultraphonic โ— Ultraphonic
Universal โ— UPPM Production Music | Library Music | Stock Music | Music For TV | Music For Film & Trailers | UPPM UK | Universal Publishing Production Music UK
V Town Cartel โ— Home - VTown Cartel MusicVTown Cartel Music
Vanacore Music โ— http://www.vanacoremusic.com/
Warner Chappell โ— Warner/Chappell Production Music - Creating Outstanding Production Music Catalogs, News Music and Custom Music Scores for Over 35 Years.
West One Music โ— West One Music - Music for Media
Westar Music โ— License and Download Production Music | Westar Music
Wonder Web Music โ— Welcome to WonderWeb Music
YookaMusic โ— License Music | Get Your Music Licensed | The music licensing marketplace | YookaMusic.com
Youlicense โ— Music Licensing | Music Community | Music Marketplace | License Music Online - YouLicense.com
Zone Music โ— Home
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Hey guys!

Send me a PM
Old 23rd October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires โžก๏ธ

Send me a PM
You mean additionally to the one you just posted?
Holy crap that's quite the reply, was it raining in Miami today?
Old 24th October 2016
Gear Head

Its a good job nobody asked for recipe recommendations. D.I would have undoubtedly listed every meal in the world.

Ever.
Old 24th October 2016
So I assume libraries are a good way to get started until you make a name for yourself?
Old 24th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
So I assume libraries are a good way to get started until you make a name for yourself?
Depends on what your long-term goals are as a musician, as a composer, as an artist.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
A good income stream long term depending on the music and trends.

I know of a few people who are household names that have done library music in addition to tv/film.
Old 24th October 2016
Libraries are non exclusive so I could add my music to libraries but still try to get the same songs placed in commercials or tv shows correct? It doesn't seem like there is downside to having them in libraries.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Libraries are non exclusive
Not all of them, pick your battles wisely when submitting.
Old 24th October 2016
Well it looks like there are hundreds of them out there. What would be a few that you would recommend to get started?
Mrx
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Libraries are non exclusive so I could add my music to libraries but still try to get the same songs placed in commercials or tv shows correct? It doesn't seem like there is downside to having them in libraries.
All the big ones are usually exclusive, Universal, Killer Tracks etc. as well as a large proportion of the smaller needle drop libraries.

There are also a ton of non exclusives out there. You'll have to learn for yourself through trial and error which ones are good and which ones are not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrx โžก๏ธ

There are also a ton of non exclusives out there. You'll have to learn for yourself through trial and error which ones are good and which ones are not.

Or you could share you wealth of knowledge to me
Mrx
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Or you could share you wealth of knowledge to me
Right now there is no library I could confidently say, 'you're guaranteed to do well with these guys'. I used to work with Universal and did very well with them so that's an obvious recommendation but they're exclusive and these days take 75% of sync fees.

To give you an idea of how it looks in my world: I started out working with exclusive libraries around 2003, it worked out great. Some time later I started looking at US libraries to diversify. One library were keen on about 10 of my tracks of my tracks and I happily signed away copyright thinking I was gonna get rich. The deal was mediocre as well. I saw a bit of money here and there, maybe ยฃ100 per quarter. Not a lot. About 5 years later I got a payment via my PRO for around ยฃ1500 for one track. That was a bit closer to what I imagined per track, so over time I am sure it will add up.

My point is: Some tracks will do well instantly. Some tracks are just special for whatever reason and everyone wants to use them. Others are slow burners and can take quite a long time to earn their worth.
For that reason I also have a hard time making any recommendations.

What I will say is this: you've got nothing to loose with non exclusives so go for it.

Library music is not something you'll get famous doing. It can be a lot of fun and sometimes you get nice surprises but Stephen Spielberg is unlikely to hire you because your track is on some reality show. You'll get no applause and often you won't know if your music has been used until the cheque lands on your doorstep.

My advice is, try and stay inspired and exited about writing music. The results will follow on from that.
Old 24th October 2016
Thanks so much for the sound advice! I am not planning on getting famous or rich off library music but im thinking it can help build my resume as well as bring in some small revenue while I look for more solid, bigger jobs. Does this make sense?
Old 24th October 2016
Mrx
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Yes it does. Library music is great for generating revenue so go for it.

Building a resume, I think it could help in the advertising world. All good.
Old 25th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Quote:
Thanks again! I have watched most of the videos I have a website, twitter, fb and soundcloud with a few thousand followers but I don't have any music supervisors banging down my door quite yet. Is there any use in getting into libraries like revo stock, taxi or music dealers? I would love to represent myself and I feel like I could represent myself well to music supervisors but Im just having a hard time getting started on contacting them without just messaging them on twitter. Any thoughts?
I'm not trying to be condescending here at all, although this may seem like it. My apologizes if it does... but there is some "common sense" that needs to be used here... It takes a LONG, LONG time to build a career in any field, including the entertainment industry.

You are asking for the keys to the castle and expecting to get a straight-forward simple answer... but there isn't one. Everyone is different. What worked for one person isn't going to work for you. You have to figure out your own path into a career in this industry.

Also... over time your productions will get better and better. You get a lot of chances to make a first impression... you get very few chances to make a second impression. Most people that have tons of placements and are scoring lots of films have been doing it for decades. One year's experience and one indie film and you are wondering why people aren't knocking down your door? While there is a lot of tie over from producing music for labels/radio/clubs... they are not the same thing. There are a lot of other roles that scoring a film or writing for library require to do it well other than just the music production itself. You have one year in and one project under you belt... People that are where you want to be have 10+ years and dozens and dozens if not 100's of indie films, TV commercials, and TV shows under their belt.

Also you keep asking "what's a good way to get in with music supervisors?" And you keep asking for advice from people as to how they got in with music supervisors and what events you should go to, etc... but seriously, have you even tried to google "music supervisor"? I just did... here's the first link that shows up...

Guild Of Music Supervisors

And the second link in the search....

If you aren't to the point where common sense lends you to looking at the guild to find events and places to meet music sups then I (and maybe the rest of us) are assuming you don't have the experience and/or skills yet to really meet these people.

I'll give you an example... a girl I know was a singer. She graduated from college with a degree in music, self produced her own album and was like, "how come labels aren't knocking down my door???" A friend of her's (me!) told her where a lot of the big record label execs hang out... she found out that Clive Davis was going to be in town. She went to one of these industry places and actually found clive davis sitting by himself eating... she approached him and started chatting him up. After about 10 minutes of talking about music and how she is looking for a deal he said, "well, let me hear you sing." She paused and said, "well I don't have my band or an accompanist to back me up." he said, "that shouldn't matter, let me hear you sing one of your songs a cappella..." After the 4 or 5th word he cut her off, said thanks for the chat but she is not even close to being ready for a record deal and wished her the best of luck... got up and paid for his food at the bar and immediately left. She hadn't been working within the industry long enough to even know why he walked away from her. She couldn't hear what he was hearing.

You get a lot of chances to make a first impression... but you usually never get a second chance... And what happens when you are new to an industry is you don't yet fully understand where you need to be in order to make that first impression a successful one.

So... my piece of advice to you is to REALLY make sure your music is literally the best written and best produced music for TV and film that people other than you have ever heard... if it is... then when you start reaching out to these music sups or libraries... ALL OF THEM will be interested in trying to get you on their projects. And you'll start to get work pretty quickly after you start. If your writing and production for film/tv music is mediocre at best... then you will burn a lot of first chances and have a tough time getting a second chance to prove yourself later on down the line....

I don't know, you've never posted any of your music... you could be absolutely amazing... and if you are... then going to a GMS or PMA or AIMP or ASCAP/BMI/SESAC type event will end up yielding a lot of work for you. If you aren't ready for the big leagues yet then you won't really see anything fruitful from your efforts except more of the same stuff you've been doing (indie films).

And just to put this in perspective... I know composers who work as orchestrators and additional writers for some of the biggest blockbuster films and TV shows in hollywood and they have been doing that for years already... and are AMAZING... and they are still waiting for and trying to get their "shot" to get a big film or TV show all on their own... so in the meantime they are writing for libraries. That is what you are up against... And I'm not saying this to be discouraging... I'm saying it to put things into perspective for you. There is a very long and steep road ahead of you to climb. Just make sure you are overly prepared and extremely well trained for the climb otherwise you'll get stuck at basecamp for a while (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Cheers and good luck!
Old 25th October 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch โžก๏ธ
I'm not trying to be condescending here at all, although this may seem like it. My apologizes if it does... but there is some "common sense" that needs to be used here... It takes a LONG, LONG time to build a career in any field, including the entertainment industry.

You are asking for the keys to the castle and expecting to get a straight-forward simple answer... but there isn't one. Everyone is different. What worked for one person isn't going to work for you. You have to figure out your own path into a career in this industry.

Also... over time your productions will get better and better. You get a lot of chances to make a first impression... you get very few chances to make a second impression. Most people that have tons of placements and are scoring lots of films have been doing it for decades. One year's experience and one indie film and you are wondering why people aren't knocking down your door? While there is a lot of tie over from producing music for labels/radio/clubs... they are not the same thing. There are a lot of other roles that scoring a film or writing for library require to do it well other than just the music production itself. You have one year in and one project under you belt... People that are where you want to be have 10+ years and dozens and dozens if not 100's of indie films, TV commercials, and TV shows under their belt.

Also you keep asking "what's a good way to get in with music supervisors?" And you keep asking for advice from people as to how they got in with music supervisors and what events you should go to, etc... but seriously, have you even tried to google "music supervisor"? I just did... here's the first link that shows up...

And the second link in the search....

If you aren't to the point where common sense lends you to looking at the guild to find events and places to meet music sups then I (and maybe the rest of us) are assuming you don't have the experience and/or skills yet to really meet these people.

I'll give you an example... a girl I know was a singer. She graduated from college with a degree in music, self produced her own album and was like, "how come labels aren't knocking down my door???" A friend of her's (me!) told her where a lot of the big record label execs hang out... she found out that Clive Davis was going to be in town. She went to one of these industry places and actually found clive davis sitting by himself eating... she approached him and started chatting him up. After about 10 minutes of talking about music and how she is looking for a deal he said, "well, let me hear you sing." She paused and said, "well I don't have my band or an accompanist to back me up." he said, "that shouldn't matter, let me hear you sing one of your songs a cappella..." After the 4 or 5th word he cut her off, said thanks for the chat but she is not even close to being ready for a record deal and wished her the best of luck... got up and paid for his food at the bar and immediately left. She hadn't been working within the industry long enough to even know why he walked away from her. She couldn't hear what he was hearing.

You get a lot of chances to make a first impression... but you usually never get a second chance... And what happens when you are new to an industry is you don't yet fully understand where you need to be in order to make that first impression a successful one.

So... my piece of advice to you is to REALLY make sure your music is literally the best written and best produced music for TV and film that people other than you have ever heard... if it is... then when you start reaching out to these music sups or libraries... ALL OF THEM will be interested in trying to get you on their projects. And you'll start to get work pretty quickly after you start. If your writing and production for film/tv music is mediocre at best... then you will burn a lot of first chances and have a tough time getting a second chance to prove yourself later on down the line....

I don't know, you've never posted any of your music... you could be absolutely amazing... and if you are... then going to a GMS or PMA or AIMP or ASCAP/BMI/SESAC type event will end up yielding a lot of work for you. If you aren't ready for the big leagues yet then you won't really see anything fruitful from your efforts except more of the same stuff you've been doing (indie films).

And just to put this in perspective... I know composers who work as orchestrators and additional writers for some of the biggest blockbuster films and TV shows in hollywood and they have been doing that for years already... and are AMAZING... and they are still waiting for and trying to get their "shot" to get a big film or TV show all on their own... so in the meantime they are writing for libraries. That is what you are up against... And I'm not saying this to be discouraging... I'm saying it to put things into perspective for you. There is a very long and steep road ahead of you to climb. Just make sure you are overly prepared and extremely well trained for the climb otherwise you'll get stuck at basecamp for a while (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Cheers and good luck!

I did not mean to come off egotistical or seem like this was an easy job. I was asking for help getting started just like im sure you wish you had when you got started. I am trying to learn and simply make a start for myself so I can start putting in the work that in 5 or 10 years might pay off for me. However I want to work smart too and if I can put my energies in the right direction at first I feel it would better than spinning my wheels starting off in the wrong direction. I have been perfecting my craft for 16 years and finally feel like I have the quality ready to present to the world. I by no means think this will be an easy path. There is no manual for becoming a composer so I thought I would draw on the resources I have on this message board. Thanks for your feed back.
๐Ÿ“ Reply