The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Starting out as a music composer
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Guru

Chances are, a casual foray into "library music" while waiting for your big feature film career to kick off will not net you any substantial income. And if it does, it will take years for it to build up. Its not a simple money making cash cow. These are two pretty different worlds, and require different contacts, different approaches to writing, and different directions . Getting specific recommendations for music supervisors, libraries, production companies or any other creative connections these days will be rare I'm afraid. You'll have to figure this stuff out on your own. Every one is trying to protect their shrinking income streams. There's not really any comfortable "room" for more writers like there used to be. Just saying'.... Plus, from my experience and knowing a lot of writers, everyone's pathway is different. What worked for Joe is not going to work for Bob - or you. You've got to figure out your own path.
Old 25th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingForRoots View Post
I did not mean to come off egotistical or seem like this was an easy job. I was asking for help getting started just like im sure you wish you had when you got started. I am trying to learn and simply make a start for myself so I can start putting in the work that in 5 or 10 years might pay off for me. However I want to work smart too and if I can put my energies in the right direction at first I feel it would better than spinning my wheels starting off in the wrong direction. I have been perfecting my craft for 16 years and finally feel like I have the quality ready to present to the world. I by no means think this will be an easy path. There is no manual for becoming a composer so I thought I would draw on the resources I have on this message board. Thanks for your feed back.
Great!!! then the names of the organizations and info I dropped throughout my post should be more than enough to get you pointed in the right directions... and when you get in front of these people and make connections with them (whole other topic of conversation really... how to be "friendly" and not come across as a vapid money sucking leech, LOL), and send them music then you will start getting places very quickly.

I look forward to seeing you around at some of these events! Come up and say hi!

Cheers!
Old 25th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Great!!! then the names of the organizations and info I dropped throughout my post should be more than enough to get you pointed in the right directions... and when you get in front of these people and make connections with them (whole other topic of conversation really... how to be "friendly" and not come across as a vapid money sucking leech, LOL), and send them music then you will start getting places very quickly.

I look forward to seeing you around at some of these events! Come up and say hi!

Cheers!
Thanks Derek!
Old 23rd October 2019
Bump for the newbies..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search