The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Music Dealers Liqudation
Old 26th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioSparx View Post
Responding to Topaz above, it’s always sad when a music library goes out of business, but AudioSparx just celebrated 20 years in business with an essentially steady growth, and 2016 will be our best year ever.

While sales are a bit off since it’s summer, RadioSparx is expanding rapidly, now streaming in 65 countries… Pop Vocals remain our best-selling music station, along with Easy Listening, Club, Dance, and Lounge Jazz…

Hope everyone's enjoying a pleasant summer.
Cheers,
Barbie
Are you that guy from Under The Dome?
Old 26th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by livide View Post
Are you that guy from Under The Dome?
LMFAO!
Old 26th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hello, can some body PM or email me the Music Dealers liquidation letter? I'd like to speak with their attorneys, maybe there's some worthwhile assets for sale..

Thank you very much!
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Hello, can some body PM or email me the Music Dealers liquidation letter? I'd like to speak with their attorneys, maybe there's some worthwhile assets for sale..

Thank you very much!

Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmanmusic View Post
Please explain when you say "nobody got paid". Are you talking as in employees , investors or artists?
I do know of artists that made good placements from the Coke deal.
I'm speaking of three particular large blanket deals with major corps. I wouldn't know about anything else.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteGJ View Post
I'm speaking of three particular large blanket deals with major corps. I wouldn't know about anything else.
Ok, so you are claiming "nobody was paid" from the blanket deals? Does your contract state you were to receive upfront sync monies or was it only back-end royalties from those blanket deals?
Old 27th July 2016
Here for the gear

I'm pretty mad at Music Dealers. I joined in 2010. Then in 2011 the contract to one of my songs was amended (without my knowledge or consent) I don't know why it was amended, I have only just found out myself. Soon after that song was placed in an episode of the Netflix version of the TV show ‘Charmed’ as part of blanket deal. I have only discovered my song had been placed by accident recently ... some 5 years later. I have received no fee or royalties at all for this placement at all, and when I tried to sign into my music dealers account, I discovered that it has been removed, and I no longer appear to exist in their roster.

When I contacted music dealers to find out more about all this, I was told the delay in royalty payments was due to the fact that the man who deals with the CBS cue sheets had passed away, so the paperwork was stalled (for 5 years?). So my experience has not been a good one. On the surface of it, it looks like Music Dealers amended my contract without my consent, placed my song, deleted my account and after 5 years have still failed to compensate me, and possibly never intended to. It's hard enough getting placements as it is, would be nice to get paid when you actually manage to.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck B View Post

CB! I know you feel me on this one.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Ok, so you are claiming "nobody was paid" from the blanket deals? Does your contract state you were to receive upfront sync monies or was it only back-end royalties from those blanket deals?
Somebody was paid from the blanket deal: Music Dealers!
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Something tells me you are an gossip instigator..hmm. not really a serious person to be paying attention to.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Something tells me you are an gossip instigator..hmm. not really a serious person to be paying attention to.
so what is your stake in Music Dealers? You obviously have some reason to keep trying to prop them up even though they just went out of business? Why are you defending them so vehemently?

What desire inspires stated was FACT. 99% of the time when you do a sync split deal with a library, they will not pay you on blanket deals they do. That means they keep 100% of it. DI didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's not gossip, it's not rumor.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had long and helpful discussions with MD about this deal that went wrong with Sony. It went wrong for MD, not sure how or why, but Sony used what music they liked and did not pay for it. Sony used the track in question for three years on the Ents TV channel for a trailer. MD agreed that I had been ripped off but were unable to do anything about it. These things happen.

What made me very nervous was when I saw that the same thing then happened twice more, big catalogue deals going adrift and and no money being paid. I took down all the music. I don't know the details but it was enough to see me dive out of MD.

Nice people though. Had apologies and even a couple of calls from the US about it. I should add that it was MD who told me the deal had gone wrong. They did not say it was business as usual (so Desire's point is not directly relevant in this case).
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
It went wrong for MD, not sure how or why, but Sony used what music they liked and did not pay for it. Sony used the track in question for three years on the Ents TV channel for a trailer. MD agreed that I had been ripped off but were unable to do anything about it. These things happen.
That kind of stuff doesn't just happen with major players like Sony. The potential liabilities are just TOO high. You didn't get the REAL story. If sony had done that as described, MD's legal team would have taken Sony to the cleaners. To say "they were unable to do anything about it" is a joke. With the kind of money MD was making they were absolutely able to do SOMETHING about it. What you're not hearing is the back room conversations that took place. SOMEone made money off the backs of the composers of the music - Sony or MD or more than likely - both.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
so what is your stake in Music Dealers? You obviously have some reason to keep trying to prop them up even though they just went out of business? Why are you defending them so vehemently?

What desire inspires stated was FACT. 99% of the time when you do a sync split deal with a library, they will not pay you on blanket deals they do. That means they keep 100% of it. DI didn't say anything that wasn't true. It's not gossip, it's not rumor.
It is instigating when he claims 100% it's MD that did . He don't know.

Here is my stake. my stake is to see both sides. There are other forums that are not speaking the same way as this one. So i am to hearing both sides, but what I will not do is be bias for the sake of doing it. I am aware of many of the stories. But if you sign a contract, then that responsibility of knowing what you signed is up to you.

If they did not pay back on the blanket deals, then it up to you to take action. Of course , there will be all kinds of factors ,why someone may not have gotten their money. Cue Sheets, composer not filling out there P.R.O. information correctly, I have seen this over and over again. I am not defending Music Dealers, but i do know both sides of the business. You can always request the cue sheets from the production company to get your due if you feel the company is not working with you

First, it was "I never got any placements" complaints. Many also complain about the amount they received. Is your music in demand, or where there other types of music in demand that MD was able to work better. Music Dealers concentrated on indie bands more than composers, another factor. Im not gonna bash them especially when there are stories of good dealings with them as well.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
That kind of stuff doesn't just happen with major players like Sony. The potential liabilities are just TOO high. You didn't get the REAL story. If sony had done that as described, MD's legal team would have taken Sony to the cleaners. To say "they were unable to do anything about it" is a joke. With the kind of money MD was making they were absolutely able to do SOMETHING about it. What you're not hearing is the back room conversations that took place. SOMEone made money off the backs of the composers of the music - Sony or MD or more than likely - both.
Exactly! Balanced
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Exactly. +1000

There is no way Sony would use music without securing and paying for the rights to the music. They are a multi-billion dollar company and have way to much to lose. Nor would they continue to do so for years and years.

On the flip side to it... the story might have been MD's way of saving face. Especially it if happened several more times after that with other big clients... to me that screams pilot error! to me that sounds like a licensing rep didn't know what they were doing and were giving away the rights for little or no compensation.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
It is instigating when he claims 100% it's MD that did . He don't know.

[QUOTE=drBill;12040422SOMEone made money off the backs of the composers of the music - Sony or MD or more than likely - both.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Exactly! Balanced
Let's recap for a minute...

so when DI says that MD made money off these deals that never paid any money to composers you said he was a gossip and an instigator... But then when Dr. Bill says that MD made money off these deals that didn't pay any money to composers you agree with him and say "Exactly!".

So you are disagreeing with DI when he says it, but agreeing with Bill when he says it.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly! Balanced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Let's recap for a minute...

so when DI says that MD made money off these deals that never paid any money to composers you said he was a gossip and an instigator... But then when Dr. Bill says that MD made money off these deals that didn't pay any money to composers you agree with him and say "Exactly!".

So you are disagreeing with DI when he says it, but agreeing with Bill when he says it.
Dr. Bill stated a balanced rebuttal. Desire said Music Dealers did it , with no kind of proof , just talking, no kind of reasoning why only MD did it. Just said it, which he has no knowledge of. Like I stated earlier, slandering a company, because they did not place your music or just for hating is not productive and I can see that's what it is.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Like I said... Instigator!

https://postimg.org/image/7meja8tr5/
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Like I said... Instigator!

https://postimg.org/image/7meja8tr5/
LMFAO! Good one. You sure got me, buddy.

In all seriousness, I hope the composers who are owed money can recoup close to what they are owed. The composers that may not get paid are the ones that suffer the most.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
LMFAO! Good one. You sure got me, buddy.

In all seriousness, I hope the composers who are owed money can recoup close to what they are owed. The composers that may not get paid are the ones that suffer the most.
I also read Art's Music Library Report and now i understand why you were banned from that.
Then you wonder why your not getting those placements, you are ruining your brand online playing games... smdh
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac

Sounds like Music Dealers was shady as ****. Glad they are gone. Scammers who didn't pay their composers, and thought they could get away with it. Bye. We won't miss you, MD.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
That kind of stuff doesn't just happen with major players like Sony. The potential liabilities are just TOO high. You didn't get the REAL story. ..
Yes, this was my suspicion. But I wouldn't leap around calling them criminals without more knowledge.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
I also read Art's Music Library Report and now i understand why you were banned from that.
Then you wonder why your not getting those placements, you ruining your brand online playing games... smdh
I don't have a "brand", but I do get royalty checks. Focus on the money in real life and not what you see on a blog.

Thanks for playing.
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't have a "brand", but I do get royalty checks. Focus on the money in real life and not what you see on a blog.

Thanks for playing.
Believe It or not , you do have a brand. Now you are saving face, its cool,
I've seen and heard your music under > Desire Inspires.

https://soundcloud.com/desire_inspires
https://postimg.org/image/srs1p5c41/

The advice to preserve your brand is to be accepted or rejected.
The choice is up to you.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Any word on that bankruptcy receivership info?
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes, this was my suspicion. But I wouldn't leap around calling them criminals without more knowledge.
I don't recall calling them criminals.....
Old 27th July 2016
sucks

Yea, my client was owed $2500 from them... guess he won't be seeing that now :(
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFulford View Post
Any word on that bankruptcy receivership info?
The are requesting proof of claim and amount by Affidavit.
Steven H. Baer is the trustee-Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors.
(High Ridge Partners, Inc.)

The Trustee-Assignee will liquidate Music Dealers Assets, which includes collecting accounts receivables and selling the Company's remaining assets. They state they will evaluate all indications of interest and offers received and determine the best manner in which to lot and sell the assets
Old 28th July 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Many of the people who help broker the deal with Music Dealers, are leaving, which could explain the reason for MD losing the Coke deal, now that most of the people are out at Coke.

Coke Content VP Leaves to Start His Own Company

Coke Content VP Leaves to Start His Own Company | CMO Strategy - AdAge

Music Dealers Press: Emmanuel Seuge's Interview With Influencia in France | Music Dealers

||||

Coca-Cola global brand PR Judith Snyder calls time after 14 years
Coca-Cola global brand PR Judith Snyder calls time after 14 years at the company | Career | The Drum

Judith is leaving Coke to work with Music Dealers CEO, Eric's New Company - start-up> DesireList

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search