The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best microphone for FZ-1000 camera
Old 3rd December 2015
Deleted User
Best microphone for FZ-1000 camera

I bought an el cheapo stereo mic for my FZ-1000 camera and I am severely disappointed. It sucks on bass response when recording my youtube videos.

What brand would you recommend? I have looked at the Rodes and wonder if
they are worth the price or is there a better more reasonable priced mic for video camera out there?
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Head
I'd say for dialog and general mono sound acquisition with the FZ-1000, the Rode Video Mic Pro is good for the price. It's cheap and it does a decent job for run-n-gun doc stuff, and it's small enough to work on a DSLR of that size. Though, I've had issues with the furry getting into the frame with the FZ-1000 when fully wide so you'd need to do some trimming.

For a separate, cheap stereo+ mic I'd say the Zoom H2n is probably the best. I've used it to pick up music and ambiences when without my other system and it's great for the price. But, of course, it's not meant for camera mounting.
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Maniac

Rode Videomic Pro or Sennheiser MKE 400. Don't bother sith stereo, stereo recorded dialogue is only distracting.
Old 3rd December 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Actually I am recording my synths (all stereo) and I'd like to have a nice stereo image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5000 View Post
Rode Videomic Pro or Sennheiser MKE 400. Don't bother sith stereo, stereo recorded dialogue is only distracting.
Deleted User
Just to make sure the Rode video mic pro is stereo. This is a must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
I'd say for dialog and general mono sound acquisition with the FZ-1000, the Rode Video Mic Pro is good for the price. It's cheap and it does a decent job for run-n-gun doc stuff, and it's small enough to work on a DSLR of that size. Though, I've had issues with the furry getting into the frame with the FZ-1000 when fully wide so you'd need to do some trimming.

For a separate, cheap stereo+ mic I'd say the Zoom H2n is probably the best. I've used it to pick up music and ambiences when without my other system and it's great for the price. But, of course, it's not meant for camera mounting.
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Head
Rode makes a stereo version of the VideoMic. Audio Technica also makes one. Either will likely do the trick for you.

Other options:
Why and When to Use a Stereo Mic on a Camera | explora
Deleted User
Are you telling me the Rode Video Mic pro is only mono!!!!
Wow! That would have been an expensive mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Rode makes a stereo version of the VideoMic. Audio Technica also makes one. Either will likely do the trick for you.

Other options:
Why and When to Use a Stereo Mic on a Camera | explora
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Head
This is the stereo version:
http://www.rode.com/microphones/stereovideom

Camera mounted mics are predominantly mono as that's the best way for videographers to capture dialog. If you want a stereo mic, it will be labeled clearly as stereo.
📝 Reply