The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
GDC Audio tracks real eye opening
Old 3rd March 2015
Lives for gear

GDC Audio tracks real eye opening

Guys running the GDC (game dev conference in SF) have really done a nice job, putting two days of modern audio technique into lectures. Hopefully some if the lectures are put online, in some ways the New audio reminds me of old tube audio processes But under program control. Having nice clean stems that can stand on their own, due to realtime remixing and mastering, is probably my biggest takeaway. Also the New realtime mixing and mastering system I find really exciting.
Old 9th March 2015

which system are you talking about? Unity 5? cis it aint all its cracked up to be I'm afraid!!!Thats why I'm still using middleware.
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
which system are you talking about? Unity 5? cis it aint all its cracked up to be I'm afraid!!!Thats why I'm still using middleware.
Until recently, I had no idea unity 5 even had that feature - but it's nice from a beginner viewpoint. I really like the concept of sound middleware where i can setup the graphs offline, then load those graphs for realtime mixing/mastering under user/venue control. I am use to things like nuke and houdini for graphics, so it's nice to see node based software for sound (it's more how i think, also reminds me of when i did analog synthesizers in the 60's/70's).

BTW i also bought the book at the GDC " writing interactive music for video games" by Michael Sweet, is helping me understand this entire space much better. I still haven't found an exact "how to" book or instructions for using middleware, that is geared for someone that understands sound in the more traditional channels, but needs to understand the toolsets in detail for this new area.

Last edited by PatrickFaith; 10th March 2015 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11th March 2015

Ah.... Then you might like the book I'm writing.....

Middleware: look at wwise, fmod, fabric and miles. There are some good resources on fmod via Stephan schutz. Google him
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Ah.... Then you might like the book I'm writing.....

Middleware: look at wwise, fmod, fabric and miles. There are some good resources on fmod via Stephan schutz. Google him
Count me in on that book.

There is only two books that kind of go over wwise and fmod, they feel more high school level. They go over things like getting jobs, etc ...

What I need to do is move my understanding of sidechaining for tradition channels (i.e. for stems), to how the new object oriented/gaming things do realtime ducking voice during foley events, remixing music based on user commands, and the theory at a advanced level.

I've done about 20 art installations on triggered sound, pre-loading sounds ... all that. Stephan's site seems real good btw, but the course is fairly expensive for a product i might not use. There is a decent youtube channel on fmod. I think because the area is so new and influx, that there isn't much on it as it's morphing.

I'm kind of surprised gearslutz isn't more fanatical on object oriented and realtime sound, I think that's where the revenue is going.
Old 13th March 2015

ducking: generally they have an event attached which is assigned to a group. The group sends back the "ducking" information accruing to whats going on within that group at the listener level. So if you have three tracks of music listening to the foley group the music tracks can be "ducked" according to the parameters in the ducking component.

Remixing on user commands : either through scene snap shots or coding level dynamic mixing of content (which is the way i do it in Unity)

Indeed it is where revenue is going and games production by FAR leads Atmos (etc) in tech and terminology. Dolby are way behind the curve - this sort of mixing has been done in games since '07/08.... bizarrely the future film mixers may have had roots in games!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search