The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's The Most Profitable Way To Score For Film/Game?
Old 6th November 2014
What's The Most Profitable Way To Score For Film/Game?

I'm being ignorant until the day I've been approach by many studios and I always give a stupid answer to them.

Usually, the studio will ask for;

Client : "How much will you charge for medieval musical theme for my game?"
Client : "I require it to be royalty free and I will have the full rights for that piece."

Me : "Ugh... I don't know, but what's your offer?"

Client : "$1000 for 10 minutes of original soundtrack music?"

Me : "That's a good price, let's do it".

Or am I stupid to accept this offers?

What's the better deal?
Old 8th November 2014
Here for the gear

Jezus, i don't know anything about the industrie, but i would be more than happy with a 1000 bucks for 10 minutes !
Old 8th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowbance View Post
Jezus, i don't know anything about the industrie, but i would be more than happy with a 1000 bucks for 10 minutes !
That's a full rights and no free royalties works.

You drop dead on that 1000 bucks and that's all.

You can't claim that you're the composer of the Final Fantasy XXI game because your name is not in the credit line.

That's the deal all above.

Let's say Final Fantasy XXII make 20 millions, and that's 1000 bucks is all your share.
Old 27th November 2014

£1200 a minute. Thats the starting point .... then you negotiate from that.

I'd happily do ten minutes of music with unlimited license for £6k.

Pointless them asking for complete sign over, by the way; it wouldn't matter if you agreed to it. The music is still yours UNLESS they have you on a salaried contract. Work For Hire is no longer a wise thing for ANY company to engage in. IP transfer in music always carries a hundred years of copyright precedence.... as games companies are beginning to find out
Old 4th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiguan View Post
That's a full rights and no free royalties works.

You drop dead on that 1000 bucks and that's all.

You can't claim that you're the composer of the Final Fantasy XXI game because your name is not in the credit line.

That's the deal all above.

Let's say Final Fantasy XXII make 20 millions, and that's 1000 bucks is all your share.
I have worked with some well known game composers. I can tell you they are charging WAAAAYYYY more than $100/min for the music they compose for the games they score. But they are really well known in that industry. It also depends on the game. A PSP or iPhone game isn't going to pay the same as Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

If they are only paying you $100/min. I personally would really push for a reup of the agreement after a certain number of copies are sold. they may not want to do that... but hey, if they are making money from it, why should you?
Old 4th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
I have worked with some well known game composers. I can tell you they are charging WAAAAYYYY more than $100/min for the music they compose for the games they score. But they are really well known in that industry. It also depends on the game. A PSP or iPhone game isn't going to pay the same as Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

If they are only paying you $100/min. I personally would really push for a reup of the agreement after a certain number of copies are sold. they may not want to do that... but hey, if they are making money from it, why should you?
But then again, those people who charge way up more than $100, I am guessing they will record real violins and other strings instruments in studio.

Compare to small composer like me who depends on synths and sound banks.

Am I right?
Old 4th December 2014
Not always. Jim Dooley did a game for Sony recently and they went with his programmed strings. The only thing they recorded live was Brass.

It varies a lot based on the programming skills of the composer and what the developer wants. Sometimes you have no choice but to record live since there might not be any decent samples of the instruments they want you to use. If the game is set in India, where are you going to find great VI's of Dhodro Banams and sarangis? So even if they don't have a budget if they want traditional indian instruments they will need to hire live musicians. If they want standard orchestral score then sample libraries will work fine for a small or medium sized developer.

And sometimes with some of the pocket gaming platforms, you have to write using the sounds built into the device, you can't even use samples, you have to use midi.
Old 8th December 2014

indeed. There are WAY more games with programmed score than live. Live is for those who are studio owners so do it anyway , are multi-intrumentalists or for AAA titles with budget for live payers....
Old 8th December 2014
Can you guys share the music that entitled for that particular price range?
I want to get inspired and do some reality check.
Old 9th December 2014

most things, outside of tiny teams doing apps, sits in that zone - give or take 50% !!! Then there are a few companies that underpay a lot BUT that is obvious when your hear their audio.
Old 9th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
most things, outside of tiny teams doing apps, sits in that zone - give or take 50% !!! Then there are a few companies that underpay a lot BUT that is obvious when your hear their audio.
Well, true.
That's why some reality check is good.

As far as I don't like to play games with not so pretty character design, I think that's how far they don't want to hear crappy music as well...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search