The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Getting MORE work as a game composer
Old 3rd October 2014
Here for the gear

Getting MORE work as a game composer

Hi, I am a game composer with a few mobile games published by a couple of developers. My question is what are some good ways to build on/make the most of my work done so far to generate new work? I have read lots online about how to start off as a game composer, eg build a portfolio, get to know up-and-coming developers etc...but nothing on how to build on what you've got already. I still seem to be going down the same avenues as when I had no games done, ie. dev communities, freelance job sites etc. It took a long time to get the 6 games I've done so far, so am looking to increase my job-finding hit rate if possible!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old 9th October 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Hi, I am a game composer with a few mobile games published by a couple of developers. My question is what are some good ways to build on/make the most of my work done so far to generate new work? I have read lots online about how to start off as a game composer, eg build a portfolio, get to know up-and-coming developers etc...but nothing on how to build on what you've got already. I still seem to be going down the same avenues as when I had no games done, ie. dev communities, freelance job sites etc. It took a long time to get the 6 games I've done so far, so am looking to increase my job-finding hit rate if possible!

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Same as any music promotion - get known, know who all the audio directors are and be very familiar with Unity, UE4 (and blueprints), Fabric, WWISE and FMOD

Being good at music aint gonna cut it - just like it doesn't in the film, tv and commercial world. Its who you know, how well you know the medium, technical stuff and the profile of your jobs

Although its always swamped - you need to be at GDC every year. Devleop too. And a few others. Couldn't hurt to attend GameSoundCon and GameMusicCOnnect as well

And shout to high heaven about the games you HAVE done.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search