Favorite Video Game songs/music
Old 25th February 2013
Gear Head

deusex the first one and the human revolution
system shock 2
half life 2
both portals
uncharted 2 & 3

all those have always stuck out to me i know theres others i can't think of right now
Old 26th February 2013
Lives for gear

I grew up with the NES, then Amiga 1200 then SNES then PC.

I loved Mega Man 2 and I often catch myself heavily borrowing from it without realising.

Also, Zelda - Link to the past.

Other mentions:

Simon The Sorcerer, Shadow of the Beast 2 (used to listen to the intro over and over) Quake, Double Dragon 1 and 2. Lots of Amiga games actually, there was some great music on that platform.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear
The Super Nintendo era was my "golden age" for gaming, so I'm really fond of a lot of the SNES soundtracks. Final Fantasy VI (3 here in the USA) really takes the cake for me. Nobuo Uematsu not only wrote some gorgeous music, but what is really astounding is how MUCH of it some of these game composers would write. EVERY one of the 14 main characters has a personal theme, every world, town, dungeon, different battle themes, cinematic cut scene themes, the OPERA HOUSE sequence, etc. And then halfway through the game, the world ENDS and all of the musical themes change for the second half of the game to suit the dark dreary turn of events. He must have written 50-60 unique pieces for the game. A film composer has to come up with about an hour of music in comparison.

In some weird way, I still love the SOUND QUALITY of the SNES soundtracks. It's somewhere between the blippy blips and sine waves of earlier systems, and the cd quality samples of later ones. I have for years wanted to find a way to infuse layers of my own POP music with this SNES quality. It's strange middle ground but I like it!
Old 27th February 2013
Gear Head

clearly "world on fire" by the inkspots for the game "fallout 3"...

http://youtu.be/j-dGCkUM1PU

Last edited by spaceman_spiff; 27th February 2013 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: link
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

The Kingdom Hearts soundtracks are the most timeless compositions I have ever heard! It's gold!
Old 5th March 2013
Lives for gear

Here is another ancient classic from Japanese RPG scene. So intimate, classic and heartfelt...

Old 5th March 2013
Gear Head

The original Ninja Gaiden music must have had an impact on me. I say this because as soon as I read the title to this thread the first level song popped into my head.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989
Old 5th March 2013
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Addict

Dragon Spilit (namco)
Winning Run (namco)
Galaxy Force (SEGA)
Thunder Blade (SEGA)
OutRun (SEGA)
Darius (Taito)
Ninja Worriers (Taito)
Old 6th March 2013
Gear Guru
Ys - any system
Forbiddon Forest - C64
Ninja Gaiden - NES
Zelda II - NES
PUNCH OUT- NES
MEGAMAN X password music - SNES
most Atari Lynx games (when there was music)
Old 16th March 2013
Here for the gear

My favorites game soundtracks are from Chrono Cross/Trigger, Castlevania: Symphony The Night, FF6, the Diablo series, Megaman X series, Golden Sun, and some more I can't recall right now... I also love Braid's OST, although it's not original it's beautiful and matches the game almost perfectly.
Old 16th March 2013
Lives for gear

Deus Ex HR was really impressive. Gave the game the movie feel for sure.

Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
The Super Nintendo era was my "golden age" for gaming, so I'm really fond of a lot of the SNES soundtracks. Final Fantasy VI (3 here in the USA) really takes the cake for me. Nobuo Uematsu not only wrote some gorgeous music, but what is really astounding is how MUCH of it some of these game composers would write. EVERY one of the 14 main characters has a personal theme, every world, town, dungeon, different battle themes, cinematic cut scene themes, the OPERA HOUSE sequence, etc. And then halfway through the game, the world ENDS and all of the musical themes change for the second half of the game to suit the dark dreary turn of events. He must have written 50-60 unique pieces for the game. A film composer has to come up with about an hour of music in comparison.

In some weird way, I still love the SOUND QUALITY of the SNES soundtracks. It's somewhere between the blippy blips and sine waves of earlier systems, and the cd quality samples of later ones. I have for years wanted to find a way to infuse layers of my own POP music with this SNES quality. It's strange middle ground but I like it!
The SNES's sound system was kind of ahead of its time. While PC games were still using FM, the SNES was a PCM rompler kind of thing using samples.. so you'd have upright basses, pianos, electric guitars,

FF4 and 6 had amazing soundtracks. 5 was OK.
Other good ones: Castlevania IV, Super Metroid, Shadowrun, Super Mario World, Tales of Phantasia. One I'm particularly fond of is Pilotwings, which had this sort of placid mid-70s jazz fusion sound, which was made weird by the fact that it was all MIDI-ized.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Mega Man 2 on the NES has music that I still find myself humming to this day.
Old 27th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
My absolute favorite since I'm about 12 is Shockwave Rider from Rob Hubbard.

The most recent thing I have a lot of respect for would be everything in Waverace on the N64. I love how they weave the theme through so many different keys and styles. Great. I was impressed the day I bought it. Later on when the gamecube came out with Waverace: Blue Storm, I was hopeful but no, Nintendo farmed it out to some no-talent hacks and the whole soundtrack was just a mess. Everything completely unrelated with nothing to tie it all together. It sounded like two kids jamming on electric guitars. I returned it and wrote a complaint letter to Nintendo but I'm sure they hit 'delete' and forgot about me! I guess Nintendo found some kids willing to do a soundtrack, "for exposure", and it shows.

Nothing has really stood out to me in the past 6 or 7 years. Most game music these days sounds to me like a noob who just got their first orchestra sample library and went nuts with it. I can't wait for the "epic orchestra" thing to blow over...

Regards,
Frank
I have some recollection of Waverace. I remember it had that same mild and soothing atmosphere that Pilotwings had. Part of it had to do with the echo/verb on the announcers voices, like being in an international concourse, and the motion of the water, which was impressive at the time.

The epic orchestra thing is tiresome, but that's where our culture's at. I don't think it's going to get better. As with the noise wars, you can't go back to dynamics because people are impatient with slow things. That we got any subtlety at all in the past was a temporary accident of an industry that had yet to completely refine and optimize the delivery of Maximum Immediate Impact.
Old 1st April 2013
Lives for gear

I may be a bit biased, but there are two cues in Bioshock Infinite that rank among my all-time favorites. The first is the piano cue that plays when you break through the clouds and Columbia first comes into view. The second is Booker & Liz playing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

-Dan.
Old 2nd April 2013
Old 8th May 2013
Here for the gear

A bit old school, but Streets Of Rage 2 Soundtrack

The intro is amazing. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 8th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky_G View Post
A bit old school, but Streets Of Rage 2 Soundtrack

The intro is amazing. I remember it like it was yesterday.
I remember this well! I had this with my Sega Genesis and I loved the fact that the drums reminded me of "Sadness" from Enigma! I was a bit disappointed when I bought the newly released "Sega CD" at the time and it also came with the Streets of Rage game on CD. At the time I had hoped that the soundtrack would have been "upgraded" and made with real synths and played off the CD as that was the thing with the Sega CD at the time with games like Sol Feace. But it was the same soundtrack, which still impressed me. They were just using the CD as the delivery medium for the game instead of a cartridge. But I had hoped to hear a re-recorded one because I thought it was great.

JDSOWA - I always loved the Pilotwings soundtrack as well. I remember playing it and thinking that whoever wrote it must be a hell of a musician and that I was super impressed with the MIDI programming for it. Great stuff.

Regards,
Frank
Old 10th May 2013
Lives for gear

Not sure if anyone has played it, but the music to some Amiga games was really good.

A few:

Superfrog
Fury Of the Furries
Simon The Sorcerer
Alien Breed
Shadow Of The Beast 2 (I used to leave this on the start and death scenes, so much atmosphere)

I've never seen Star Wars (... I know..) but the music on the Snes games sounds pretty impressive for a console.
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Head

Lul wut. 2 pages of this and no Kirkhope?

His soundtrack to viva pinata was really impressive.

Night 1 by Grant Kirkhope on Viva Pi

hnng.
Old 17th May 2013
Lives for gear

I've always loved the original Deus Ex soundtrack - the new one is pretty cool as well.

Other than that, Chrono Trigger was always the pinnacle for me of that era, and more recently the Bioshock Infinite and Fallout 3/NV soundtracks were brilliant.

Obligatory GTA mention as well.

Edit -

The post about Amiga games reminded me of the Xenon 2 soundtrack. Awesome.
Old 1st June 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post
I may be a bit biased, but there are two cues in Bioshock Infinite that rank among my all-time favorites. The first is the piano cue that plays when you break through the clouds and Columbia first comes into view. The second is Booker & Liz playing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken."

-Dan.
I just went to a talk that Mr Schyman did about his Bioshock music. While I don't know that much of the canon of VG music past and present, I have to say that I was really impressed not only by his music, but his approach and creative attitude as well. Good stuff!
Old 4th June 2013
Here for the gear
one of the best soundtracks ever in a game IMO Donkey Kong Country 2 Soundtrack: Bramble Blast - YouTube
Old 24th June 2013
Gear Addict

The soundtrack in the game Folklore (Ps3) is nothing short of amazing. Fits the mood of the game perfectly, and is one of the reasons it's one of my "top" games.

The Main Theme:

Piano piece playing while in the village.
Folklore Soundtrack: The Forgotten Village - YouTube

The ending piece
Folklore Soundtrack: Where the Soul Goes - YouTube
Old 1st July 2013
Lives for gear

Anything from Heroes Of Might and Magic!!!
Old 26th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Anything from Heroes Of Might and Magic!!!
Thanks!
Old 4th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Thanks!
Massive respect to you!
Old 12th December 2013
Agree with Heroes of Might & Magic, great music!

My personal favourites though:
Vash'Ir Zone - World of Warcraft
Music of Cataclysm - Vashj'ir - YouTube

Guild Wars 2 - GamesCom Trailer Theme (only like the piano at the start though, the rest is kinda meh. Though the piano is amazing.)
Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2011 Trailer - YouTube

Terran Theme - StarCraft 2
Starcraft 2 Soundtrack - Terran 01 - YouTube

Wandering Isle - World of Warcraft
Mists of Pandaria Soundtrack - Wandering Isle - YouTube

I actually love Valve games, but the music in Blizzard games is way superior. Though I do enjoy the Dota 2 music, which is released by Valve..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search