The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How Are Gamers Listening?
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Head

How Are Gamers Listening?

Hey all,

I'm working on a game for release on Xbox/PC/Mac and I'm just wondering if anyone know of any stats regarding how gamers on these platforms listen to what they're playing. Really all I'm hoping to find out is, super roughly, how many people are listening on laptop speakesr vs headphones, vs a decent system.

Of course it probably depends on the game type - we're doing a v stylized, puzzly point-and-click adventure. Very indie.

Thanks!
Old 3rd October 2019
Lives for gear

For something that is not an open world, action adventure type of game, as in, the use of surround sound will not be beneficial to the player or game mechanics, I'd just make a typical stereo mix.

Balance and system check as normal, main monitor mix on typical studio monitors, checking to make sure it translates to smaller systems and headphones/earbuds.

From the gamers that I know, I'd have to guess that most older players are listening on TV speakers or home HiFi where as younger players are using headphones or headset/mic units. Looking at the current demographic of gamers, that split is probably close to 50/50.
Old 21st October 2019
Gear Head

Thanks Jerry!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search