The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How and when do you start composing?
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Cool How and when do you start composing?

For you guys who are in the business, I'd like to ask.....

How do you start writing or composing for one particular game?
I mean, what resource from the game do you use as a base for the composition or idea?
Do you start composing with just the storyboard, design, and 3D models; or do you wait until the game/scenes getting into shape?
On big AAA game titles, when did the sound team start working? From the beginning? In the middle? Near the end?

thank you

Last edited by kuasalogam; 6th January 2017 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 7th January 2017
Lives for gear

Nobody?
Old 2nd February 2017
Here for the gear

I've only scored for a couple student projects, but it seems that music is added pretty late into development (also looking at how a lot of industry developers do it). (also Michael Giacchino had 4 weeks to make the music for Rogue One). I think the non-music sound guys are working on it from the beginning though, cause there's soooo many assets to be made, and it seems like a different beast.

You can make tracks and stuff for the concept art, but keep in mind that this early it will be subject to change. Some of the tips from Berklee Online class I took on Game Audio Production are to examine the game assets and stuff, write down the mood, feel, etc, then surround yourself with things it makes you think of, other inspirations/sources (games you've played, movies, etc). Make an audio mockup to some video footage to give yourself some goals/direction for your music.

This is my general impression, but perhaps someone from industry can answer better!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search