The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Licensing Existing Music for Game
Old 9th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Licensing Existing Music for Game

Hey all,

So me and a friend have been trying to start up a production company, mainly aiming at games as we have a few pals in the industry. We're slowly building contacts, doing a few little indie games etc. Recently we got in touch with a company making a "music" game (a Just Dance type thing) who want to use our band's music (which is separate to our production company.)

They initially suggested royalties as payment (they are only a small indie) but as I pointed out, there's almost no way of enforcing this without PRS or similar, and as far as I'm aware they don't deal with this kind of thing.

I'm considering suggesting an upfront fee, with a smaller amount initially, and then the rest upon release/publishing. Does that sound reasonable?

The next thing I need to worry about is pricing. Should I be looking at a similar cost to bespoke production music? (£200-500 per minute) bearing in mind while the band isn't hugely well known, the track has had a bit of Radio 1 airplay.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on the matter! I'm kind of on new ground here

Best wishes,
MixingWizard
Old 9th July 2015

take the royalty!!

Just because the PRS don't deal with it doesn't mean its not enforceable. I've down royalty deals with everyone form Dr Luke to Feeder on video games. They DO work but are very very rare. Just get an accounting clause in your license and robert is your mums brother.

IF that game is a hit you will kick yourself for not taking the royalty. Then you can get all kinds of press mileage from "production music house brokers landmark royalty deal" etc....
Old 10th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
take the royalty!!

Just because the PRS don't deal with it doesn't mean its not enforceable. I've down royalty deals with everyone form Dr Luke to Feeder on video games. They DO work but are very very rare. Just get an accounting clause in your license and robert is your mums brother.

IF that game is a hit you will kick yourself for not taking the royalty. Then you can get all kinds of press mileage from "production music house brokers landmark royalty deal" etc....
Thanks for the reply!

Bearing in mind my music law is still a little shady, could you give me rough idea on how to arrange this? Would I write up a license agreement with the publisher? What kind of percentage should I look at? I'm struggling to find anything useful on Google for once!
Old 13th July 2015

what percentage? Well thats a tricky one. In the old days of sales it was simply (say) 6 cents per sale. But as we're talking about a market that involves extra paid content or in app purchases... possibly a profit share? Or a milestone sales payment (if its a paid game)....

PM me. Lets have a proper chat about it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search