The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Awesome new pre-made Hackintosh
Old 2nd April 2015
  #31
Lives for gear
 
stratology's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
And apparently its not theft to use OS X other than with Apple hardware.
You're wrong again. Here's the link to Apple's SLA for OS X.


Are you seriously saying that you don't quite understand what a slave actually is??

It sounds very much like you're aware that you're behaviour is unlawful, you feel a little guilty about it, and try to make excuses....


Don't get my wrong, I don't give a flying flip about you pirating OS X, but making excuses by making incorrect accusations ('slave labour') about the company that you steal from is facepalmtreeworthy.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #32
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Before assuming I'm supporting the OP for what I'm about to say, read my earlier comments...but now both sides in this thread are wrong.

Apple's EULA is not the law. You post a link as if to support your opinion, but did you read it?

"Whether using Apple's software in violation of Apple's license is illegal is a question with potentially different answers in different legal jurisdictions."

That's just one thought....the web will reveal more. We can debate it, but referring to Apple as law is silly. That's what I object to.

If I buy a chair at the store and want to smash it up I can do so....just the same as with the software I buy or obtain legally. Apple can kiss my butt if they think they can dictate what I do with something I own. Why do you think they've not gone after any websites promoting the practice? It won't stand up in court.

Selling Hackintosh's is whole nother ballgame and is clearly illegal, and certainly immoral. I guess the OP likes to point out the evil Apple corporation, but when another company does wrong they're ok if they serve his needs.

I find it laughable for him to reply with a response from the retailer and say "so there you have it"...as if that means a thing. Every other Hackintosh seller has been shut down. This one will as well. If this was ok to do, there'd be a hell of a lot more sellers out there.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #33
Gear Maniac
How quiet is it?
Old 2nd April 2015
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Actually the EULA is partly void according to EU law. That is why they can sell a Hackintosh, as Apple would actively need to prove that a copyright product is being stolen/copied.

That being said, we do not offer them (despite some requests now and then) due to the lack of support as previously mentioned in this thread. Any update can render the installation useless. Also, we think it is immoral to offer a hackintosh regarding the fact that OSX is part of their hardware product. Using this for making profit with another product - whether the EULA is valid or not - is dubious on itself.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #35
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Actually the EULA is partly void according to EU law. That is why they can sell a Hackintosh, as Apple would actively need to prove that a copyright product is being stolen/copied.

That being said, we do not offer them (despite some requests now and then) due to the lack of support as previously mentioned in this thread. Any update can render the installation useless. Also, we think it is immoral to offer a hackintosh regarding the fact that OSX is part of their hardware product. Using this for making profit with another product - whether the EULA is valid or not - is dubious on itself.
100% agree and also my reason, why I try to refuse requests for such a builds.

Michal
Old 2nd April 2015
  #36
Lives for gear
 
foldback's Avatar
Off the shelf PC hardware requires a "hacked" file of proprietary Apple software code which is protected by copyright and by US patent law in order to load and run the OS-X operating system.

It's not ok legally in the USA to steal Apple original software, then mod it to do something it was not intended to do, and use it on non-Apple hardware. I'm not even talking about the OS-X issue yet and whether it's legal to "use" that on non-apple hardware.

The Apple software issue has been proven several times as Apple has shut down the companies that steal their original works and use it in ways it was not intended.

Stealing and then repurposing into your own work, even if not for profit, is not legal in the USA.

Newer Apple designs actually use horsepower from the graphics card for a variety of things so if your older machine, running the newer OS-X is not so hot maybe a graphics card boost might help.

Personally I'm still quite happy on Logic 9 with my older Mac Pro's and Apogee interfaces, I don't see a path to upgrade that will return the investment nor do I feel a need for more horsepower.

I'd like a few more hours in each day please, give me that in an OS upgrade and I'm there.

Good music to all!
Old 2nd April 2015
  #37
Lives for gear
You got a good deal. I'm really happy with the new hackintosh at my place. I'm running 10.8.5 and will never update. Ethically I couldn't care less. I paid $20 for the software. Ethically I think Apple works to maximize profit over the interest of their power users, and I'm happy to have a way to stick it to them. That ****ty garbage can mac pro? Get bent, lol. I've lost count of how many mac towers I bought over the years... if they return to making good machines for audio, and stop the price gouging, maybe I'll go back to using their hardware. Not likely though; they are now a gadget company that happens to have a good operating system.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #38
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

FWIW, I am hackin away on OS X Yosemite (tonymac), and successfully ran the software update from Apple with no ill effects. Kinda surprised, but I had a backup just in case. Thought I'd report that in case folks are curious.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #39
Here for the gear
Corporations are granted legal personhood with zero personal responsibilty. Officers can pretty much get away with murder provided it's structured right. Morality comes into play not because we shouldn't pirate software but because the entire system is MORALLY BANKRUPT! There are laws for those (and their friends) who have the power to create them and then those for the rest of us. Imagine playing a game where one side can change the rules at will? Manipulations occur, crashes happen and people lose everything, just take a look at the meltdown of 2008. I saw so many lose houses (and more) because they "did the right thing" and "it was morally correct" continuing to pay on an upsidedown house while prices plummeted and others bailed. The only issue is that the other side wasn't playing by the same rules, the immoral have no issue using the morality of those they wish to use. I can't vote to change the system, because if you are paying attention, that system is locked up tight as a drum. The result is we have no moral obligation to a corrupt system. In fact our obligation is to bring it down and bring justice, fair dealings, and freedom to all rather than the lawyered few. Take a quick look at the Declaration of Independence and tell me if today we have more or less in common with those who wrote it those many years ago.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #40
Lives for gear
 

I personally have no moral issues with Hackintosh. Apple took my money for Apple Care and sent me back a broken laptop. I would screw them 6 ways to Sunday if I could.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #41
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
You got a good deal. I'm really happy with the new hackintosh at my place. I'm running 10.8.5 and will never update. Ethically I couldn't care less. I paid $20 for the software. Ethically I think Apple works to maximize profit over the interest of their power users, and I'm happy to have a way to stick it to them. That ****ty garbage can mac pro? Get bent, lol. I've lost count of how many mac towers I bought over the years... if they return to making good machines for audio, and stop the price gouging, maybe I'll go back to using their hardware. Not likely though; they are now a gadget company that happens to have a good operating system.
I'm truly curious as to where this sense of entitlement comes from?

First off I feel no love or loyalty for Apple, but within the system they exist, they do have an OBLIGATION to their shareholders. Either you believe in Capitalism or you don't, but I imagine you're reaping the benefits of it....you do have a choice to buy something else. You aren't entitled to have access to OSX.

Many of us are frustrated that Apple doesn't offer what we need at a price we can afford, but neither does BMW for many of us. According to you it's ok to steal one, because it exists and you want/need one.

I don't have a problem with building a Hackintosh. Selling them is another issue. However, your justification is complete bunk, especially considering there isn't a justification needed in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I personally have no moral issues with Hackintosh. Apple took my money for Apple Care and sent me back a broken laptop. I would screw them 6 ways to Sunday if I could.
So two wrongs make a right?

Again, you don't need a justification to make on for yourself, but you've offered one.

I have a MacbookPro here that is a complete hung of junk that I paid a premium for. It has issues I feel should have been warrantied as they are known flows. No such luck. Funny how I don't feel that this entitles me go steal one or do anything else illegal at the expense of Apple.

According to you, if Walmart jips you on something, the correct and justified action is to go into their stores and steal.

This sounds a lot like the rationalizations people use to download pirated music and software.

What a bizarre world you folks live in.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post

According to you, if Walmart jips you on something, the correct and justified action is to go into their stores and steal.

This sounds a lot like the rationalizations people use to download pirated music and software.
I don't pirate software and I don't steal from Walmart. Please refrain from ascribing to me words or actions that I have not committed.

I don't even own a Hackintosh. I do have an iPod classic 160GB though. [edit] OK I will admit I was going to build one, but I think I've changed my mind.

And back on topic, I saw a few people in the U.S. and Canada selling them on ebay too.

Last edited by jdunn; 2nd April 2015 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: "hate" may be too strong a word, even for Apple
Old 2nd April 2015
  #43
Gear Maniac
It's called an analogy.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #44
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
I'm truly curious as to where this sense of entitlement comes from?

First off I feel no love or loyalty for Apple, but within the system they exist, they do have an OBLIGATION to their shareholders. Either you believe in Capitalism or you don't, but I imagine you're reaping the benefits of it....you do have a choice to buy something else. You aren't entitled to have access to OSX.

Many of us are frustrated that Apple doesn't offer what we need at a price we can afford, but neither does BMW for many of us. According to you it's ok to steal one, because it exists and you want/need one.

I don't have a problem with building a Hackintosh. Selling them is another issue. However, your justification is complete bunk, especially considering there isn't a justification needed in the first place.



So two wrongs make a right?

Again, you don't need a justification to make on for yourself, but you've offered one.

I have a MacbookPro here that is a complete hung of junk that I paid a premium for. It has issues I feel should have been warrantied as they are known flows. No such luck. Funny how I don't feel that this entitles me go steal one or do anything else illegal at the expense of Apple.

According to you, if Walmart jips you on something, the correct and justified action is to go into their stores and steal.

This sounds a lot like the rationalizations people use to download pirated music and software.

What a bizarre world you folks live in.
Illegal is not really a good way to talk about a civil contract like an EULA. Businesses break contracts all the time as a matter of business- the civil court system deals with that when needed, and it's not the same as criminal law. I believe in capitalism because I have no choice; for me capitalism means doing what it takes to survive. I don't view breaking an EULA on a product I paid for as morally questionable in the least- if Apple doesn't like that I'm breaking the agreement, they can come after me. That's how our capitalist system works, not on white-knight ideas about what's moral or not. It's Apple's job to enforce their contracts. As far as I'm concerned there is no moral consideration here whatsoever.

Last edited by Philter; 2nd April 2015 at 11:27 PM..
Old 2nd April 2015
  #45
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratology View Post
You're wrong again. Here's the link to Apple's SLA for OS X.


Are you seriously saying that you don't quite understand what a slave actually is??

It sounds very much like you're aware that you're behaviour is unlawful, you feel a little guilty about it, and try to make excuses....


Don't get my wrong, I don't give a flying flip about you pirating OS X, but making excuses by making incorrect accusations ('slave labour') about the company that you steal from is facepalmtreeworthy.
Relax man, i just like my new computer.
Old 2nd April 2015
  #46
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by grame99 View Post
How quiet is it?
Its pretty quiet.
Its not as silent as my SSD MBP.
There is a fan noise, but not much louder than the hum i get from the KRK rocket6's.
I record almost all the time with acoustic instruments and i would have it in the same room uncovered except for the quietest of ambient pieces.

Maybe there is a way to shut the fans off while tracking?
Old 2nd April 2015
  #47
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philter View Post
You got a good deal. I'm really happy with the new hackintosh at my place. I'm running 10.8.5 and will never update. Ethically I couldn't care less. I paid $20 for the software. Ethically I think Apple works to maximize profit over the interest of their power users, and I'm happy to have a way to stick it to them. That ****ty garbage can mac pro? Get bent, lol. I've lost count of how many mac towers I bought over the years... if they return to making good machines for audio, and stop the price gouging, maybe I'll go back to using their hardware. Not likely though; they are now a gadget company that happens to have a good operating system.
+1
Old 2nd April 2015
  #48
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunn View Post
I personally have no moral issues with Hackintosh. Apple took my money for Apple Care and sent me back a broken laptop. I would screw them 6 ways to Sunday if I could.
+1, sorry to hear your experience.
My friend just had an almost identical experience to yours.
Old 3rd April 2015
  #49
Gear Maniac
 
Trip Hop Mop's Avatar
Congratz! I have a hack more or less the same as yours. The i7 4790k works wonders for audio work

Also on a side note. Since you didn't build it i wouldn't advise doing any system updates or you will risk breaking the system. Although program updates such as itunes and the likes are fine. Happy beat making!
Old 3rd April 2015
  #50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablatom View Post
The computer shop i bought the still running fantastically Hackintosh from wants me to write a review for them, which for sure i will write a glowing one.

I was concerned for them and replied, "before i do, do you have any concerns regarding OS X copyright?
Here is their reply.



Apple OS X can download from Ap store. Its absolutely free and no copy right law. Anyboday can do .
There is nothing illegal to sell Hackintosh . If there is anything illegal we cant sell it on ebay.
According to ebay policy they will never allow to sell any illegal item.

Kind Regards ..........


So there we go.
lol, if a company sent me a reply that badly worded, I'd ship that thing back to them in a second.

-Oh, so they let them sell it on eBay so it must be legal right? - WRONG!
Awesome new pre-made Hackintoshhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Logic-Pro-X-...item33a0519fa1
Logic 10.1.1 for sale for 60 bucks! eBay would let you sell your kids, they don't care - don't use eBay as an excuse to justify yourself.

You're living under a rock if you think it is not illegal. There were lots of man hours into developing OS X, lots of people! And contrary to what you believe, the people developing OS X are not in chinese factories working for Foxconn.
( --Side note, all your clothes are made from child labour! )

I'll repeat that I'm not at ALL against hackintosh, I do it myself, 'myself' being the keyword here.

I am not asking you to feel sorry for yourself about buying it, but from the title of the thread: 'Awesome new pre-made Hackintosh', you're essentially running an ad for those crappy people who sold you that.

THAT is what I have an issue with!
Old 3rd April 2015
  #51
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by EgM View Post
lol, if a company sent me a reply that badly worded, I'd ship that thing back to them in a second.

-Oh, so they let them sell it on eBay so it must be legal right? - WRONG!
Awesome new pre-made HackintoshLogic Pro x 10 1 1 | eBay
Logic 10.1.1 for sale for 60 bucks! eBay would let you sell your kids, they don't care - don't use eBay as an excuse to justify yourself.

You're living under a rock if you think it is not illegal. There were lots of man hours into developing OS X, lots of people! And contrary to what you believe, the people developing OS X are not in chinese factories working for Foxconn.
( --Side note, all your clothes are made from child labour! )

I'll repeat that I'm not at ALL against hackintosh, I do it myself, 'myself' being the keyword here.

I am not asking you to feel sorry for yourself about buying it, but from the title of the thread: 'Awesome new pre-made Hackintosh', you're essentially running an ad for those crappy people who sold you that.

THAT is what I have an issue with!
You make these ridiculous presumptions about the shop and myself like your an all knowing God.
Calm down and find out more about someones situation before you get so judgemental.

IF you had bothered to read my second post on this thread i said i had 4 hours of conversation with the brilliant friendly and knowledgable builder/seller before
i bought it from them.

His badly worded email is because he is from South India. Feel like an idiot now?
If you know anything about South Indians they are generally brilliant with mathematics and computers.

95% of my clothes i wear are FAIR-TRADED. I try my best. My shoes are all vegetarian. So stick your pre judgement up your .....

And i don't have a clue whether its illegal to use OS X this way or not in Europe.
Do you? Are you an expert on European law? I'm not.

I have spent huge money with Apple over the years, and i am sure i will in the future.

I am sure the folks who have developed OS X have been paid and all is well with them.
While Apple as a whole make gigantic profits through using slave labour, trust me when i say, regardless of what any of you say, i don't give a toss about buying a hackintosh.
Old 3rd April 2015
  #52
Lives for gear
 
latweek's Avatar
 

Group Hug? C'mon! We're all makin' music, let's remember we started out with a 8 track cassette tape, hand me down broken laptop, or a crappy intonated guitar...

Jimi Hendrix would have set fire to the damn DAW and racked it upside down with OS9 for "soul".
Old 3rd April 2015
  #53
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by latweek View Post
Group Hug? C'mon! We're all makin' music, let's remember we started out with a 8 track cassette tape, hand me down broken laptop, or a crappy intonated guitar...

Jimi Hendrix would have set fire to the damn DAW and racked it upside down with OS9 for "soul".
Couldn't agree more, man i just wanted to share some LOVE about my new toy.
Life gets serious quick right?

Imagine Hendrix with a mouse and a screen.
Well i can safely say i am SO glad i was brought up with pro musician parents in the 60's/70's, not a screen in sight apart from a tiny b/w tv.
Pre computers, just music sweet music, layback and groove on a rainy day.
Old 17th September 2015
  #54
Lives for gear
 
jsblack's Avatar
 

Hi Tablatom,

Still full positive experience with your new toy...? could you please give me an idea of how powerful your Hackintosh is against your 2012 MBP...?
I've sent you a PM....
Cheers.
Old 17th September 2015
  #55
Gear Nut
 

Just to add up to this thread:

Running myself an Hackintosh with Gigabyte Z97X UD3H, i7 4790 (not K), 16gb RAM and a bunch of HDD's. I chose Ozmosis as bootloader BTW...

Geekbench 32 bit gives 13800 so it is quite a step compared to my Sandy Bridge Early 2011 MBP (4550).

I have a triple boot system: Win 10, Yosemite "Office and web" and Yosemite DAW. With the latter, I could easily run my Roland Quad-Capture at 48 samples in Reaper 4.78 with middle weighted projects.

I have a complete, easily restorable, backup of each of the three partitions.

As for the upgrade question, I'm not sure I'll take the OSX 10.11 ship (usb problems, SIP). I'll even maybe reinstall my Mavericks backup as a DAW.
Old 17th September 2015
  #56
Lives for gear
 

Vegetarian shoes?
Old 17th September 2015
  #57
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernand View Post
It's best to keep this low profile. It's like this: if you're an old-style hacker, as the term was once defined, meaning an engineering mind that loved to explore, a hackintosh is something for some people to explore. Like building your own hang-glider. Or voodoo.

If you are into macs because they're "for the rest of us", i.e. simple, do yourself a favor and just accept the Apple situation: a ready-made rather high quality well-integrated computer environment at a premium price.

If you can't afford it, go Windows or Linux. Windows NT, from the beginning, was a primo OS with a great permissions and logging system, based on unix concepts, and far superior to Windows 3, Windows 95 and Mac OS. It's a long and complicated story, but while Windows 95 blossomed and gave Microsoft a black eye, Mac OS 9 did likewise for Apple. These were Single User non-multitasking OSs, with no user permissions. Both were consumer-grade crap.

Windows NT (that some of us had used for a decade) finally replaced the 16 bit Windows 95 core for the PC common folk, and OsX replaced Mac OS for the Mac common folk. Both are unix-like true multi-tasking time-sliced systems reasonably capable of running real-time DAWs. Like I said, a long story.

Bottom line, 64 bit Windows 7 and up, and 64 bit OsX 10.8 and up are superb operating systems. They are very very similar at this point. Specific versions might go through bizarre iterations (e.g. Win 8, maybe Yosemite), but it's fixable and short-lived. E.g. if you hack away the Windows 8 idiotic UI front end, you find good old Windows NT AND with some real improvements.

It seems that Apple has better things to do than hassle a handful of nerds. The Hackintosh is a practical hybrid for very technical people. You can run Windows, Unix, Linux and OsX on all sorts of hardware. But don't kid yourself. It's easy to do once, for one version, but it gets tricky with updates. It's just computers, but there are countless gotchas. And there are good reasons not to suffer them if you're more into music, and not up to the learning curve.

Too bad Logic is strictly an OsX DAW, i.e. requires more money up front. But you can get a very good DAW on either platform. The current hole in the Mac hardware line-up will be remedied. A little patience, or learn how to run a DAW on your phone. The computer religion wars are for dummies. I'm sorry if I'm not expressing myself with greater clarity.
Windows had preemptive multitasking from 3.11 in certain circumstances. Windows 95 he's a 32-bit kernel.

I'm curious about NT being based off UNIX principles, can you elaborate?

Also a lot of people seem to like i7 for music which I find odd considering the lack of heavily paralell work loads with most DAWs.

Hyperthreading is not the same as extra cores and can increase latencies in certain scenarios due to the increased scheduler burden.

A fast i5 will have a lower thermal envelope which helps keeping things quiet. It's pretty easy to run 4+ ghz quiet i5s. Saves a ton of cash.

I've recently begun working in an office with a lot of mbp. They are very nice to look at but the thermal performance can quickly lead to throttling under long periods of high cpu usage which was surprising. Not an isolated incident either.
Old 17th September 2015
  #58
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman74 View Post
My morality doesn't usually vary to suit my convenience.

So if it were a small company it's then wrong?

It's ok because Apple is bad? This makes it A-OK?

Good grief.
I'm will to be that there are times that you go faster than the speed limit on purpose in which case your morality does vary to suit your convenience.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump