The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAW and Projects on same SSD Drive
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

DAW and Projects on same SSD Drive

I bought a new Mac Pro. Effefin Awesome. The Flash internal drive is so dam fast. Since it is so fast. I want to keep the projects on there instead of a external 7200rpm 3 1/2 drive. Apple guys at the store said it is no problem. They said it does not matter for SSD drives because there are no spinning parts and the read speeds are so fast. but I wanted to get professionals who do this everyday opinions.

thanks
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Head

Congrats!! I know your feeling all too well. I'm actually in the same boat. Got my new Mac Pro about two weeks ago. My brother does a lot of Video/Photo work and he suggested that I keep songs that I'm currently working on in the internal SSD drive to take advantage of the speed. When not using, move it over to the external drive. Of course always have your "backups" but he does the same... Projects that are current are on the SSD internal drive, others are stored on external. You don't have to do it this way, but it's what I've been doing lately and it works well. And obviously i don't move EVERY project to the internal SSD.

hope this helps.
Old 23rd March 2015
Lives for gear

do you have hiccups (ex dropping audio, spinning beachball) when using the project n the same drive as your DAW. and do you have any Kontakt or other streaming libraries as well. these load insanely fast on the new flash drive
Old 23rd March 2015
Gear Head

i haven't used it so heavily just yet... spent a lot of time transferring files and installing. I don't jhave my sound libraries on the internal SSD although that would be great. My sound libraries are on an external WD Black Drive connected via an OWC thunderbay4. (thunderbolt)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search