The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for a FREE modern EQ with certain requirements Equalizer Plugins
Old 23rd March 2015
Here for the gear

Looking for a FREE modern EQ with certain requirements

I normally use some commercial EQ’s, but for a certain purpose I’m now searching for a modern EQ which have the following criteria:

1) FREE
2) Both PC & MAC-compatible
3) Graphical presentation with "drag-able" dots (as a complement to the standard knobs)
4) Peak analyzer (pre & post processing)

The 4th one is not very important though, but the rest is.

There are some similar threads but I was unable to find anything satisfying. Since it’s 2015 now I imagine there could be a few alternatives to choose from?

I’ve also filtered a bit at kvraudio.com, and was able to find a few but unfortunately with some drawbacks:
Nova-67P (a built-in compressor)
MEqualizer (only available within a large package of other plug-ins)
T-Racks Classic Equalizer (same as above)
Blue Cat Triple EQ (only three bands; low-shelf, high-shelf and one bell)

Since we’re only looking for a good EQ substitute we want to keep it simple, yet fulfilling the demands in the beginning of this post.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

MEqualizer sounds right for this. If you don't want the whole bundle, you can delete the other components after installation, though I wouldn't recommend that since they're not bad.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Whats wrong with Nova? you can easily make the bands fixed like a normal EQ?
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

ReaEQ sounds like what you need, though I think the ReaPlugs bundle is Windows only.

DDMF's Colour EQ is another free option.

If you can spare $5, buy the latest issue of Computer Music Magazine and you'll get 40+ very high quality plugins, including the aweome IIEQ Pro by DDMF. It's the CM edition, so it's slightly stripped down (no analyzer, no M/S, 6 bands instead of 10), but it's still great for what it is.

If you need a frequency analyzer, SPAN by Voxengo is free and works wonderfully.
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

ReaEQ is Windows only, unfortunately.

ColourEQ didn't work for me. It didn't show up in the list after installing, also I'm not sure it had the "drag the dots-functionality".

It has to be completely free, not almost free.

Both MEqualizer and Nova are great plug-ins actually, I've tested them.

My request of a pure completely free EQ only is because we're a little community at audiotournament.com and upon providing the sample-packs and plug-ins in question prior the contest-rounds, the installation-process and usage of plug-ins should be kept as simple as possible. For instance, we already have a compressor. But who knows, we might ending up using one of these anyway. I was only posting this question just to be sure that we didn't miss something else.

Thanks for the inputs, anyway!

Topic still open for suggestions.
Old 24th March 2015
Lives for gear

Photosounder's SplineEQ actually has everything you're asking for:

Photosounder SplineEQ - Spline-based linear phase equalizer

It's a linear phase EQ, however, and I'm not a huge fan of the GUI, but it does meet the requirements. Other than that, I'd look at using the MEqualizer or the T-Racks Classic EQ and just deleting all of the other unneeded plugins.
Old 24th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
Photosounder's SplineEQ actually has everything you're asking for:

Photosounder SplineEQ - Spline-based linear phase equalizer

It's a linear phase EQ, however, and I'm not a huge fan of the GUI, but it does meet the requirements. Other than that, I'd look at using the MEqualizer or the T-Racks Classic EQ and just deleting all of the other unneeded plugins.
Thanks for the suggestion. But it seems I’m not able to adjust the type (low cut, bell etc) and the Q-value in the traditional sense, if that has something to do with the "phase" thing?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search