The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who Uses The UR28M? Monitor Controllers
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear

Who Uses The UR28M?

I just got a UR28M and so far so good.

However I have a question regarding the SPDIF.

If I go into the SPDIF with another ADDA like Antelope Pure2, can I use the UR28M as a Monitor Controller bypassing the ADDA of the UR28M but still using the UR28M 3 outputs, volume knobs, etc., but ONLY hearing the Pure2 ADDA.

Also, if I went out of the Line Outs of the Pure2 and into the Line Inputs of the UR28M, would I be hitting the UR28M ADDA? That would be undesirable for sure.

If there's now way to use the UR28M as a Monitor Controller, perhaps something like the Drawmer MC2.1.

Any tips?

Thanks!

SEA
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

I have the UR28M, but use it as an interface in Cubase, and don't feed it from another D/A unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA View Post
I just got a UR28M and so far so good.

However I have a question regarding the SPDIF.

If I go into the SPDIF with another ADDA like Antelope Pure2, can I use the UR28M as a Monitor Controller bypassing the ADDA of the UR28M but still using the UR28M 3 outputs, volume knobs, etc., but ONLY hearing the Pure2 ADDA.
Page 38 of the manual, which you can download from here http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf shows the S/PDIF staying digital until the final D/A conversion at the monitors. There is a sample rate converter just downstream of the S/PDIF input to match the output of the source.

So it looks like you should be able to use it as a monitor controller like you are describing.

Quote:
Also, if I went out of the Line Outs of the Pure2 and into the Line Inputs of the UR28M, would I be hitting the UR28M ADDA? That would be undesirable for sure.
Same page looks like there's no way to bypass the A/D converter going in any of the analogue lines.

Caveat - you should come to your own conclusions after reviewing the signal flow diagram, I don't have a lot of experience reading them!
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
There is a sample rate converter just downstream of the S/PDIF input to match the output of the source.
Thanks Alexis! I looked at the chard and perhaps it might work where by going through the SPDIF I can still use the UR28 as a monitor controller and bypass the the ADDA of the UR28.

The Pure2 has superior converts and clock so you wouldn't want any other source coloring and downgrading it's sound for sure.

"The proof of the pudding is in the TASTE!" So I guess I'll have to try it out when my Pure2 arrives and see eh? heh
Old 13th May 2015
hey just wondering have you tried this. I have ur28m as well but wanna upgrade to a diff converter.
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mequaz View Post
hey just wondering have you tried this. I have ur28m as well but wanna upgrade to a diff converter.
It seems you can't use the UR28M as a monitor controller without hitting the converters.

Also, I decided to go with the Mytek 8x192 and not the Antelope Pure2. Way better converters and the Mytek clock beats out the Orion. heh
Old 13th May 2015
Quote:
It seems you can't use the UR28M as a monitor controller without hitting the converters.

Also, I decided to go with the Mytek 8x192 and not the Antelope Pure2. Way better converters and the Mytek clock beats out the Orion. heh
Wow thats a terrible design flaw in my opinon. Sigh, just ordered the bla sparrow. Im gonna just bite the bullet and get the gracem905.
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wow thats a terrible design flaw in my opinon. Sigh, just ordered the bla sparrow. Im gonna just bite the bullet and get the gracem905.
You mean the UR28M is a terrible design flaw not being a stand-alone monitor controller? Yeah...THAT would have been cool! heh

Perhaps the Drawmer MC 2.1 will be my monitor controller of choice. The Dangerous Monitor ST would be awesome but for $1,999 it's a bit spendy for just controlling my monitors at this time.
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's Grace would be probably wise solution. Or something from proven good sounding DACes with integrated high quality headphone amp and regulated XLR outputs. Eg. Benchmark DAC1/2, Mytek.

Honestly, for the price and target segment of UR28M (all-in-one interface for home/"soundcloud" studios, where it is pretty cool IMO), Steinberg can't be really blamed. By passing of its analog inputs through DSP one can gain also additional possibilities with monitoring and routing, which can be more beneficial for majority of its users than switchable analog path.
Whole idea of upgrading just converter and passing its outs through budget level interface or inappropriate cheap controller is bit naive, it likely negate significant part of possible sound improvements.
Quality of analog path, distortion, crosstalks, coupling of noises from other components in the box and surrounding environment is really important to reach some level of performance..
Higher you aim, more expensive it is to do of course.

I'm hearing/reading very similar thoughts almost every day, I see someone started, moved further and would like to improve its gear, part by part as there isn't any budget for more systematic approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes I doesn't make much technical sense and seems to me like upgrade of Ford Fiesta, where owner going to replace its original engine with 6 liter V8 and put it at back seats place. Will it be faster at quater mile and attracts some attention, probably yes.. does the new engine transform Fiesta into sports car, definitely no.
So it is always about right context of planned upgrade.

Michal
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Honestly, for the price and target segment of UR28M (all-in-one interface for home/"soundcloud" studios, where it is pretty cool IMO)

Michal
For the money it can't be beat! I got a demo model for $359.

I plan on using it for my live rig when I get my Mytek 8x192.
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the money it can't be beat! I got a demo model for $359.

I plan on using it for my live rig when I get my Mytek 8x192.
Jamie, that's cool, you've found another use for it.
Also good luck with the 8x192, I have good personal experience with several Stereo 96 DAC boxes and it's been always good quality/value for me.

Michal
Old 13th May 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
Jamie, that's cool, you've found another use for it.

Also good luck with the 8x192, I have good personal experience with several Stereo 96 DAC boxes and it's been always good quality/value for me.

Michal
Thanks Michal! I plan on trying out the Stereo192 DSD DAC on the back end of the 8x192. I also plan on getting the ADC upgrade for the 8x192 that takes it to the next level.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search