The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
[DAW] AudioDesk or Reaper?
Old 7th March 2015
[DAW] AudioDesk or Reaper?

Hi everybody.
Last year I bought a license of Reaper but I didn't spend much time on it at all: I'm still in the "inspirational" phase, in which I make sounds/sequences/melodies, play around with them... and never get to the point where I would say "OK, let's record that song" (I'm making electronic music, with analog synths mainly).

So now I bought a MOTU 828 MK2 (used) and it came with the license for AudioDesk 2. I know this is old software, but I believe that with the license I could upgrade to the latest one (version 3.21 for sure, maybe version 4 as well).

Now, let's get to the point: what pros/cons or differences are there between AudioDesk (say version 4) and the latest Reaper?
Which one "is better" (I know it's a rather "dumb" question - but you all know what I'm asking for, right?!)?

I'm running OS X Yosemite (10.10) on a MacBook pro i7 with 16GB RAM...

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
F.
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlavioB View Post
Hi everybody.
Last year I bought a license of Reaper but I didn't spend much time on it at all: I'm still in the "inspirational" phase, in which I make sounds/sequences/melodies, play around with them... and never get to the point where I would say "OK, let's record that song" (I'm making electronic music, with analog synths mainly).

So now I bought a MOTU 828 MK2 (used) and it came with the license for AudioDesk 2. I know this is old software, but I believe that with the license I could upgrade to the latest one (version 3.21 for sure, maybe version 4 as well).

Now, let's get to the point: what pros/cons or differences are there between AudioDesk (say version 4) and the latest Reaper?
Which one "is better" (I know it's a rather "dumb" question - but you all know what I'm asking for, right?!)?

F.
Based on what you've written, Reaper will never do you wrong. I don't know AudioDesk at all. I do know that Reaper is an amazing DAW. Bit of a learning curve to any DAW & Reaper is no different. But it's well worth the time & effort. YMMV
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi everybody.

F.
AFAIK AudioDesk is purely a digital audio editor, if you were making electronic music I would assume you might like some MIDI sequencing features.

I might be wrong but thought I'd add my input.
Old 7th March 2015
Hi guys, thanks for your quick replies.
@ serstickman : I am aware of a learning curve for each new software, that's for sure. I just would like to start with one and (hopefully) stick with it! :-)
@ Herb : ok, if AudioDesk is merely an audio editor, then I don't have to choose any longer: Reaper! :-)

Thanks so far,
F.
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

AudioDesk is basically MOTU's Digital Performer without Midi.

It's quite capable for tracking and mixing, there may be an upgrade path to DP.

Old 7th March 2015
Deleted User
Get Reaper, AudioDesk is a poor DAW
Old 7th March 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for your quick replies.
@ serstickman : I am aware of a learning curve for each new software, that's for sure. I just would like to start with one and (hopefully) stick with it! :-)
Kenny Gioia's Reaper 4 Explained video tutorial (groove3.com) takes a lot of the edge off the Reaper learning curve. Highly recommended!
Old 8th March 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflush View Post
Kenny Gioia's Reaper 4 Explained video tutorial (groove3.com) takes a lot of the edge off the Reaper learning curve. Highly recommended!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search