The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Proper gain staging for tracking, mixing & mastering, plug-ins~
Old 4th March 2015
Question Proper gain staging for tracking, mixing & mastering or plug-ins~

newbie help! I was recommended from other posts that proper gain staging is crucial for more headroom while tracking/ mixing etc.

my question is, why do i need a plug? cant you just record signal at low -18dbu? instead of putting plugin on everything? what am i missing? and if i need a plug? what are some of the goods ones??

2nd question, how much db headroom is needed for mixing if the tracking is done at -18dbu (eqs, comps).. once the processing is done? where should approx output gain should be at for mixing? like -6dbu? before sending it off for mastering.

same question for mastering? how much dbu gain (5-8db?) is enough for mastering before hitting 0 clipping and give enough headroom?

thanks

Last edited by 141550; 5th March 2015 at 07:28 AM..
Old 4th March 2015
bump
Old 8th March 2015
bump
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

If you record your signals at an appropriate level then you don't need a plugin to set their volume. Just use the channel fader. Some people get really anal about gain staging. If that makes you happy then so be it but the rest of us just cope. Signal too hot? Pad it down. Signal too quit? Boost it up. Master bus clipping? Then adjust your your levels. Just do it, don't worry about the people that feel the need to talk ad osmium about it.

As for your final mix volume; ask your mastering engineer what he wants. If you plan to self master..... well, that's a whole learning journey of its own. I myself keep my final mix level below -3db and like to hear a dynamic range of at least 11-16db in the loudest sections (this is before mastering mind you). Dynamic range (both pre and post mastering) varies depending on the song. Some songs sound better louder some the other way. For me loudness is a quality that should fit the song rather than be something that is "competing" with other people's music.
Old 8th March 2015
Lives for gear

It is NOT -18dBu. It is -18dBFS( or -16dBFS, -20dBFS, whatever you decide). -18dBFS should equal 0vu @ +4dBu. That is if you were to put an oscillator plug-in on an audio track inside your DAW and it is set for -18dB peak, the output of your converter should show 0vu on a VU meter and/or read +1.23 volts on a voltmeter. If you aren't sure what all of that means, there is a thread at the top of the Newbie section that goes into more detail about it.
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch11 View Post
If you aren't sure what all of that means, there is a thread at the top of the Newbie section that goes into more detail about it.
Or you can just mix with your ears and revisit the subject *if* you have any problems.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search