The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Slate Digital FG-X 1.4.0.4 - 64bit support for AAX, AU, and VST
Old 8th July 2010
News Desk Editor

Slate Digital FG-X 1.4.0.4 - 64bit support for AAX, AU, and VST

Slate Digital FG-X 1.1 Available

Slate Digital has released the 1.1 version of their FG-X mastering processor. The updates include many enhancements that were in direct response to gearslutz members.

With the Fabrice Gabriel coded ITP 1.1, masters can now be pushed to commercial mastering levels while remaining punchy and clean. By lowering the ITP slider, any mix can be raised in level without distortion or crackling artifacts. Also updated is the Dynamic Perception control, which adds punch and impact to simulate the original mixes dynamics after the gain.

Users who demo'd the FG-X 1.0 version can redemo the new 1.1 update using the following ilok code:
5242-6481-1838-1506-4409-3974-7814-16

This is ONLY for users who have already used up their demo license. For new demo users, an ilok code will be emailed to you after downloading the FG-X 1.1 demo.

More on the FG-X:
The FG-X mastering processor consists of a world class mixbuss compressor and a new loudness enhancer based on a new technology called ITP, or Intelligent Transient Preservation. The ITP optimizes saturation curves for each transient of the mix, which ensures that the mix can be raised in level in the most transparent means possible.

For registered users of the FG-X who wish to update, please visit:
http://drumclassroom.net/customer-fgx/

You will be asked to enter your email, which will get you access to the new registered users area, where you can download FG-X 1.1.

Updated 25 February 2015:
Quote:
Dear FG-X:

I'm pleased to announce that FG-X 1.4.0.4 is in your Slate Digital User Accounts.

This FG-X Update will provide 64bit support for AAX, AU, and VST. I want to be clear that this is NOT FG-X 2.0, but rather an updated version of your current FG-X plugin.

Important Q&A:
Q: Where is FG-X 2.0 and what is the difference between FG-X 2.0 and today's 1.4.0.4 release?

A: FG-X 2.0 is going to be a brand new, completely reworked plugin with new algorithms, created from the ground up in our new framework. It is being developed right now, and will be a free update later this year. The FG-X 1.4.0.4 in your user account is the same algorithms as your current FG-X, but with added support for the 64bit DAW formats.

Q: What is the difference between FG-X 1.4.0.4 and the old FG-X 32bit version?

A: Not much besides the 64bit support. However, users in beta did claim that their CPU usage did go down, but it is not an official feature that we are advertising. If you found a few bugs in your current FG-X, you'll likely see some of these same bugs in the 1.4.0.4 version. But rest assured, the FG-X 2.0 update will also be FREE, and will fix all of these issues.

Q: Will the FG-X 2.0 still be FREE?

A: Yes, when the FG-X 2.0 comes out later this year, you will get it for FREE.

Q: How do I get FG-X 1.4.0.4?

A: Go to your Slate Account, it is waiting for you right now.

Folks, we've learned a lot over the past year about how we can be a better company for you. As I've said in the past, we did not prioritize things properly and thought we could achieve big feats without having the manpower to do so. Well, this is a thing of the past. The Slate Digital Team has grown significantly. I too have grown as a CEO, and can better appreciate the responsibility of running a complex and often unpredictable technology company. Therefore I can assure you that delays like this will never happen again, no matter what new plugin format may be sprung on us! Although I really hope there are no more new plugin formats!!!

I wish you peace, love, and happy music making!

Steven Slate
Old 8th July 2010
So, as I asked in the other thread before it was locked, if I never redeemed my v1.0 license, will it still work for this update?
Old 8th July 2010
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

I would just redownload the demo, and YES, use the ilok code you were given to activate it.
Old 8th July 2010
TGP
Gear Nut

Works well here, I just updated my 1.0 version (full license). Eats up more CPU than before.
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Tiger ?
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

So I bought FG-X a few weeks back and just went to download the update....

"Download Area

Your downloads have been processed with the DAFS ANTIPIRACY system.

This system puts a digital fingerprint, also known as a watermark, on random files within the drum software before download, so that all software can be traced back to its original owner.
It is highly recommended that you use a download manager. This will ensure that you will be able to continue your downloads regardless of internet connection dropouts. A free download manager can be found at:"

HUH? Digital watermarking? Is this text included in error?
Old 8th July 2010
Gear Nut
Hey Alex/Steven, I asked in the other thread where I can download the manual? The link provided a while back came up 404 unknown.

I probably wont download the demo until after next week when I record some drums (which I bought Trigger Platinum and an iLok for, I already own SSD Platinum), seeing as its quite a short demo period. I would like to give it a fair test against the other suspects.

Is it true you can render FG-X in real time in Reaper using the Online Render setting? I read that somewhere, that would make for better testing. I am a bit surprised its only 2 weeks and crippled...DSMs demo is 3 weeks and fully functioning, thats fair enough and more like the Slate credo imo (its already on an iLok). Reapers is the bomb (1 month uncrippled demo, only nags you after that) but nobody else equals that apart from freeware.
Old 8th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Unit View Post
HUH? Digital watermarking? Is this text included in error?
Yes, it's an error. This text is for their other products which have drum sample audio files.
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Addict

I've been playing with the update for a bit over an hour.

This is a really really really powerful update. Did anyone find that you can actually push the mix about 2db hotter now? Like I mean with the new updated FGX I can get the same amount of punch at -8RMS as I could previously at -10RMS. Maybe I'm crazy as I can't compare them side by side. But I have a master I used the old version on and I just got its mix to -8RMS and its just as punchy as the one done with the older one which was -10RMS.

Either way, this is an amazing plugin and it appears to be even better with the update. Now it just makes the TC MD3 we have here sound silly. I also noticed that the ITP slider is more obvious sounding and is easier to set as well. Well done sirs.

Junk
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear
When I enter my email and password, it takes me to a page with an "FG-X updates" link. When I click on that link I get an "error page not found" in both Safari and Firefox. Is this overload of that download page? What is a salivating sound junky to do?
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Nut
nevermind I found the manual pdf after entering my email, thanks anyway

(btw typo page 5 bottom, FG Level section)

Quote:
You can adjust the gain range in the FG Level setting panel, and adjust the output but resolution with the dither options
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
When I enter my email and password, it takes me to a page with an "FG-X updates" link. When I click on that link I get an "error page not found" in both Safari and Firefox. Is this overload of that download page? What is a salivating sound junky to do?
Same problem here. I guess I'll check tomorrow. Urgggg!!!!!
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Been using version 1.1 since Tuesday. I loved the old
version, but my problem with it was that I couldn’t get
the level I wanted without side effects like crackling
& mushyness on some tracks. With the new version,
that problem is no longer an issue. This thing is perfect
now. The gain range seems to have been revamped;
pushing it to +7 yields a mix that is as loud as I could
ever need, but without any bad artifacts. On the contrary,
it actually makes things sound better! Imagine that.
I’ve gotten so used to dreading what’s gonna happen to my mix once I have to make it louder, I never dreamed
it could be louder and actually sound better.
I don’t know if the metering has been changed, but it seems to be closer to the meter that I normally use now. To me, the best part of the FGX is the Dynamic Perception knob. It seems to make –10rms sound like –7, and it somehow does it without hurting your ears. I knew there was a reason I’ve been waiting for this since October of last year. Thank you Steve & Fabrice, it’s now every bit as good as all the hype that proceeded it. Hurry with the VCC!
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Been using version 1.1 since Tuesday. I loved the old
version, but my problem with it was that I couldn’t get
the level I wanted without side effects like crackling
& mushyness on some tracks. With the new version,
that problem is no longer an issue. This thing is perfect
now. The gain range seems to have been revamped;
pushing it to +7 yields a mix that is as loud as I could
ever need, but without any bad artifacts. On the contrary,
it actually makes things sound better! Imagine that.
I’ve gotten so used to dreading what’s gonna happen to my mix once I have to make it louder, I never dreamed
it could be louder and actually sound better.
I don’t know if the metering has been changed, but it seems to be closer to the meter that I normally use now. To me, the best part of the FGX is the Dynamic Perception knob. It seems to make –10rms sound like –7, and it somehow does it without hurting your ears. I knew there was a reason I’ve been waiting for this since October of last year. Thank you Steve & Fabrice, it’s now every bit as good as all the hype that proceeded it. Hurry with the VCC!

Normalize the mastered audio file to the level of the original and then see if it sounds better. heh
Old 9th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Normalize the mastered audio file to the level of the original and then see if it sounds better. heh
No no! Just hit "constant gain monitor" on the FG-X which will give a great comparison of the original mix, but I'm sure Josh did this already.

The Dynamic Perception knob on the 1.1 update has a whole new set of cahones. I love that knob. Thats what she said.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampwax View Post
Same problem here. I guess I'll check tomorrow. Urgggg!!!!!
Same here.. very frustrating... tried on Safari, Firefox & even booted VPC & tried on IE nothing works.. error 404 page not found???
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray View Post
Same here.. very frustrating... tried on Safari, Firefox & even booted VPC & tried on IE nothing works.. error 404 page not found???
And also here.
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Maniac

No go on getting the update.....

The server can not find the requested page:
fgx.updates.dl.drumclassroom.net/download/ (port 80)
Please forward this error screen to fgx.updates.dl.drumclassroom.net's WebMaster.
Old 9th July 2010

Fixing this.. We were preparing the server for another deal with the SSD virtual instrument and some setting got messed up and knocked the page off. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll get it going asap.
Old 9th July 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

I know it's a tough thing to please everybody, but what I hear now is that the modified itp, although getting rid of the distortions if set to -1, sounds too soft and somehow unnatural, compared to the old version. Anyway, the distortions are gone and this is a good thing.

In the end I have the impression that fg-x is an unusual tool, but an interesting alternative if you really need something different.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Is 1.1 crashing for anyone else in Logic 9.1.1?
Old 9th July 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
I know it's a tough thing to please everybody, but what I hear now is that the modified itp, although getting rid of the distortions if set to -1, sounds too soft and somehow unnatural, compared to the old version. Anyway, the distortions are gone and this is a good thing.

In the end I have the impression that fg-x is an unusual tool, but an interesting alternative if you really need something different.
The lower you put the ITP, higher the Dynamic Perception. Think of those guys like really close buddies. Low ITP with higher Dynamic Perception will add back the mix punch. Also, just get to "know" the new range of the ITP, its got a different thing going on.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Working fine here. Looking to test it on those old crackling mixes! haha
Old 9th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
That's exactly the compromise. Not much to do about it. I also find that when the ITP slider is set to higher than 2, transients can get too clicky and with too little "body", kind of like the detail feature but less harsh.

What this update is really about is giving much more flexibility, and that's great. It makes it generally much more adaptable. But I still find that the less messing around with ITP, detail, dynamics values, the more natural the result sounds, though with some clean audio, this just may not be possible, so lowering the ITP value will definitely help.
Old 9th July 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
The lower you put the ITP, higher the Dynamic Perception. Think of those guys like really close buddies. Low ITP with higher Dynamic Perception will add back the mix punch. Also, just get to "know" the new range of the ITP, its got a different thing going on.
I understood that from the beginning. IMO it accentuates the unnatural behaviour. I'm not a fan of the dynamic perception parameter in either of the two versions.
Old 9th July 2010
Gear Maniac

We're probably doing different music (I'm doing rock and pop) but to my ears the Dynamic Perception lives straight up the middle. With this setting I can make it sound a lot more like the original mix.

The ITP slider setting varies per mix. Every time I'm like "its perfect on .3" I find that it needs to be either higher or lower depending on the source material. I actually like it kinda high still on music that needs some extra detail in the peaks.

I'm still really loving the compressor, that thing just sounds good turned on.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
Fixing this.. We were preparing the server for another deal with the SSD virtual instrument and some setting got messed up and knocked the page off. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll get it going asap.
I did hear from the webmaster (Steve) but his suggestion didn't work yet but obviously it's being addressed (and not a local problem just I was having) so I will just wait until it's sorted ;-)
Old 9th July 2010
OMU
Lives for gear

Yes, very different. I'm doing almost exclusively european dance and electronic.
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Awesome! The crackling is finally gone at -1.0 ITP! Although, not too surprising since I heard you guys used this particular mix (plus others, of course) to help test the new algorithm

My only complaint so far is that -1.0 ITP is noticeably quieter than other ITP settings. This is fine, except that with Constant Gain on, FG-X actually sounds quieter than if you turn FG-X off. To my ears at least. I don't remember this being the case in v1.0, but maybe I just didn't notice

Anyway, great work
Old 9th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djanthonyw View Post
Is 1.1 crashing for anyone else in Logic 9.1.1?
Ok, I deleted everything related to "FG-X" and "Slate" off of my system and then re-installed. Working fine now. thumbsup
📝 Reply