The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What mastering plug-ins should i buy? Dynamics Plugins
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybay View Post
ATM i'm just using the stock plug-in's in ableton live (multiband dynamics, compressor, limiter etc.) and i get fine results, but it's time for an upgrade.
What should i get?
going back to basics, for me

"What should I get" means "what am I missing" it implies that there is better stuff out there than what's included in Ableton.
To flesh it out further - what exactly do you feel that you currently can't get done.
- what improvement are u looking for.
Your question is like "i don't like the rims on my car, what else is out there"
Please provide some context and purpose to your question before the whole KVR developer backcataloque gets quoted.
And moderator, this is a serious question, I'm genuinly interested in what TS thinks he is missing.
Old 20th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuse View Post
Being an ME for quite some time now I've had songs that needed no mastering at all. Some times not even a proper fade in/out or some dithering. Any pro ME can concur this.
To that regard 'none' is a perfectly valid answer.
I don't see how is that. Just because *some* songs don't need any further processing doesn't mean you should have no mastering tools at your disposal.
Old 20th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by audslu View Post
came here to write this^ : )

You know that limiter and dithering afterwards must be last in your chain, right? Then how do you combine sonnox limiter with built-in ozone fx chain?? Is there something that sonnox does that ozone limiter can't do?!

this is funny
tsk, tsk tsk!

I use Ozone 5 first in the mastering chain but switch off the Ozone limiter/dithering. That is because I prefer the Sonnox limiter, very nice clean sound.

Besides that, I master purely for fun and for my own use. My releases are always done by professional mastering companies.
Old 22nd February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Self mastering your own **** is like cutting your own hair, better to leave it to the professionals imo. Most importantly your paying for their ears.

I use a trimmer. 2 mm length. Takes 5 min.
A professional hairdresser could maybe make it 5% better.

If you are good enough to make a professional sounding mix by yourself, you should have skills that'll get you very close to what a mastering engineer can do. Obviously if you have the budget for one, you might as well as he will probably be a tiny bit better than you.

Mixing = 90% , mastering = 10%.
If your mix is not 'pro quality' you're are completely wasting your money, if you pay to get your track mastered by a pro.

No point in me wasting money on an engineer as my mixing is more like 50% heh
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post

If you are good enough to make a professional sounding mix by yourself, you should have skills that'll get you very close to what a mastering engineer can do. Obviously if you have the budget for one, you might as well as he will probably be a tiny bit better than you.

If your mix is not 'pro quality' you're are completely wasting your money, if you pay to get your track mastered by a pro.

So many people dont get this, as if mastering is going to make their ****ty mix good.
Old 23rd February 2015
UAD's Shadow Hills has a pretty unique sound in the plugin world
I use it on a lot of my mixes
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

It's not about the plugins or your vision, it's about room and monitoring and to a certain extend the knowledge to tackle certain problems (the ones you overlook, or think that sound great)

Unless you have a great room, excellent monitoring and conversion, mastering at home is like painting with sunglasses on...... Only when you take them off you'll notice the mistakes you've made and how the rest of the world will hear them.
Now.. If you are a hobbyist or enthousiast and you do this for fun, there is no reason at all to engage with a mastering engineer. But then you are not looking for mastering, you a looking for a sausage phatner. Mastering is about making your track outside world compatible, it's not about making things sound "phat"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana View Post

Last edited by Analogue Mastering; 23rd February 2015 at 11:59 AM..
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxisaxis View Post
I, like most people, had to go through the process of realising good mastering is more than just finding some magical plugins. If you can get a good sounding master with fabfilter/t-racks/ozone or whatever, you can still get a decent master just with the stock plugins in Pro Tools. It depends a lot more - like 95%- on the way you mix, and understanding what the plugins on the master are actually doing.
And even more importantly, your monitoring setup
Old 23rd February 2015
Gear Nut
UAD Vertigo Sound VSM-3 Mix Satellite
UAD Precision k-stereo
UAD Shadow Hills
UAD Ampex® ATR-102 Mastering Tape Recorder
Old 23rd February 2015
I'm not a mastering engineer, so couldn't tell you what my mastering gear is, but I'm fortunate to own some wonderful plugins
So I use these to give instruments or the whole track a little edge or fit stuff in.
Flux Elixir - multiband limiter. I think it's the best limiter I own
Flux Syrah - dynamic shaping tool with a sound. a transient shaper on steroïds. very useful in a mix
all of the Flux plugins have very little artefacts and more natural to my ears than a lot of other professional plugs
Klanghelm DC8C - very good sounding compressor, no brainer for the money.
Elysia Mpressor - I don't think this is a mastering plugin at all. nonetheless, it does the hard hitting compression slam like no other.
Slate Digital Buss Compressors - I was sceptical at first but these are very, very good. one of the few that are getting close to the openness of hardware comps IMHO
Kush Audio UBK-1 - like a box of colour crayons

Equalizers: I'm a hardware eq person. why? most software eq leaves me wanting for more.
Flux Epure - for the invisible touch. my stock Logic linear eq does a good job, but this one's like a rolls royce
these are about the only eq plugs I like the colour of:
Softube A range - IMO don't slam it. just use a little bit, that you can hardly hear. pays off during mixdown
Softube tonelux tilt - put one on each channel. luxurious.

I'll move the thread to the Music Computers forum.
Old 23rd February 2015
Lives for gear

Music Computers? What? EMP almost always involves software. I think this is arbitrary.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you guys so much for all of your suggestions!
I will be demoing most of them tomorrow, when i get home.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Head
Not sure what your budget is but ToneBoosters provides excellent mastering solutions (i.e. limiter, equalizer and compressor limiter) at a very reasonable cost.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Voxengo Elephant.
Old 24th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaysj View Post
Music Computers? What? EMP almost always involves software. I think this is arbitrary.
the "Music Computers" forum does allow for EMP threads as well.
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert View Post
None
Actually this is great advice..you are asking for trouble if you are getting good results and want to add new mastering plugs
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by login View Post
So many people dont get this, as if mastering is going to make their ****ty mix good.
Especially when most give it back sounding 10 % worse
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKirrk View Post
Actually this is great advice..you are asking for trouble if you are getting good results and want to add new mastering plugs

But i do get good results, so its actually a bad advice.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
If you are a hobbyist or enthousiast and you do this for fun, there is no reason at all to engage with a mastering engineer.
This is a great point and in this case the answer should be different. If a "hobbyist" or "enthusiast" asks for mastering advice as far as plugins go, then really the response should be about plugins and not "send it to a real mastering engineer". If on the other hand someone is looking to release material that competes with songs heard on the radio, then using a professional mastering engineer makes sense. I would even go as far as saying it is a must have. Also, if a "hobbyist" or "enthusiast" wants to improve their skills or is just curious as to how a pro works, it might not be a bad idea to sit in on a session with a pro and take some mental notes as to how it's done and see how it compares to your work; keeping in mind that you more than likely do not have the room or monitoring (and other), equipment that the pro has.

That being said, as a hobbyist myself (that has recorded a few local talents that released cd's), I like using iZotope Ozone. It is a pretty good tool. You definitely need to go beyond just using the presets though.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
the "Music Computers" forum does allow for EMP threads as well.
Does the EMP forum allow for plugin threads?

Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

You can find a few of your answer there hopefully.

https://plugin-alliance.com/en/produ...tering_v2.html
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Not much T-RackS love yet but even if I didn't work here I'd suggest you try some of the processors in there
Old 24th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybay View Post
But i do get good results, so its actually a bad advice.
What?...the advice is...if you are getting good results, which you are, don't go adding uneccesary changes to your workflow because you think you need a change...or you read a thread about some plug on gearslutz...honestly that is the single most destructive thing i can think of...chasing your tale with the latest and greatest can cost you years...just two people's advice...you are obviously free to accept or reject any and all advice...good luck.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
Not much T-RackS love yet but even if I didn't work here I'd suggest you try some of the processors in there
I really like the 432 EQ post compression when I attempt to master. CPU heavy, but sounds great. Sometimes I'll throw on the Bus Compressor from IK as well.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
The Acustica Magenta,Green,Aquamarine will give u bout 98 percent of what commercial studios might. For surgical stuff always any DMG Audio this guy its the best when it comes to eq designs!
Then for mastering the most important factors before gear or plugins are critical listening trained ears,very good room, no ho hum monitoring and of course AD DA Converter the cheaper the worst.. !
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear

PSP Xenon is an excellent limiter. I'm liking very much the above-mentioned IK 432 as a transparent mastering EQ.
Old 24th February 2015
Lives for gear
I hope the TDR Kotelv was brought up
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

If you are getting good results, why not engage a mastering engineer? If you are not willing to engage a mastering engineer because you think your results are not well enough to justify this step, why not focus on the mix?

Some music that is heard on the radio has been and will be produced in bedroom studios. But improving your mastering chain will not get you there (as a bedroom producer). I'd rather focus on buying tools that help you with your mixing. You can also use the same tools for your "home mastering".

However if you put out music in a certain way where you really need to do home mastering in order to get your work to the audience - e.g. preview versions of your edm tracks to be played @ the club on a regular basis - my thoughts may not apply to your scenario.

I personally try to improve my ability to create good tracks & mixdowns in my bedroom. I had one of the most regarded MEs on GS listening to one of my tracks and he said the mix was "OK". As I was not satisfied myself I still decided to further improve my output before I get something mastered. But I am sure that the quality of bedroom material can be well enough to have a professional ME doing the final step. And in the case something good has been produced in a bedroom studio, that production in particular is going to benefit heavily from professional mastering as the fine tuning really is prone to any shortcomings of the room/ monitoring situation. You can get away with some good music as long as the mix basically is well-balanced. But you will have a hard time trying to bypass the professional mastering, while even a world-class ME does not cost you a fortune as they need relatively little time to get the session done.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Good mix plugs can be used for mastering: Fab's Pro Bundle.

Don't know if it includes the new eq or not:

FabFilter Pro Bundle | Sweetwater.com

This will help you get good mixes, and if you want to pump it up for demo purposes, you can master with this stuff.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear
TDR Feedback Comp
UAD Massive Passive
Toneboosters Reelbus & Barricade.

Wowzers.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search