The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to stop RME applications from starting when computer is turned on?
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

How to stop RME applications from starting when computer is turned on?

I have these apps from the RME BabyFace (TotalMix and a second app of which I forgot the name) and they open every time I turn on the computer. Is there a way to disable that? They can't be turned off from the System Preferences (apps that open at startup) because actually, they open when the BabyFace is connected, and not at startup.

But I have the BabyFace connected to my Mac all the time (I use it to bypass the computer's internal sound card also), which means that every time the computer is turned on, those apps open themselves… very annoying as I don't use them.

Thanks
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

run services.exe and change their starup properties from 'auto' or 'auto delayed' to 'manual'.

that should work.

sorry, just seen its for mac. cant help im afraid.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Disconnect the babyface, but if you wanna use the babyface those apps have to be runnning.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

No worries rhythmtech.

I don't want to disconnect the BabyFace because - like I said - I use it to bypass the Mac Pro's sound card too. This Mac is being used for audio production only. I don't record something every day (and if I do - only synths if that matters) and therefore it would be annoying to use the built-in sound card again. I don't need those programs to playback audio via. the BabyFace over headphones/monitors. But the sound is good, I've noticed it is a bit more clear than compared to the standard sound card from the Mac Pro.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
No worries rhythmtech.

I don't want to disconnect the BabyFace because - like I said - I use it to bypass the Mac Pro's sound card too. This Mac is being used for audio production only. I don't record something every day (and if I do - only synths if that matters) and therefore it would be annoying to use the built-in sound card again. I don't need those programs to playback audio via. the BabyFace over headphones/monitors. But the sound is good, I've noticed it is a bit more clear than compared to the standard sound card from the Mac Pro.
Well I cant test on mac now but on PC the RME interfaces dont work without their apps running.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear
Can you even run the Babyface without TotalMix period? They run the interface. Just minimize and keep it moving. It's just an icon.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

What exactly do you mean with "does the interface even work without them"? Are you wondering if I can record stuff without them, or are you wondering if I can actually play back audio without them?

Like I said, the BabyFace bypasses my computers internal sound card, and the BabyFace is therefore selected in my audio outputs in the System Preferences. The programs are not running. If they would be needed for playback, there would be no sound coming out I guess.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear
Yes, I was wondering if you get sound at all (in and out) without running the RME programs. I've never tried to play anything back or record without them open.
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

on Mac look in addition to System Preferences user Login items, look in Library/Startupitems; Library/Launch Agents; Library Launch Daemons and also under your user name/Library (similar locations)
Old 11th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Yes, I was wondering if you get sound at all (in and out) without running the RME programs. I've never tried to play anything back or record without them open.
Yes yes, I have audio coming out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
on Mac look in addition to System Preferences user Login items, look in Library/Startupitems; Library/Launch Agents; Library Launch Daemons and also under your user name/Library (similar locations)
Nothing there, but do you mean I should delete them? I'd be a bit scared of that - I've heard they need to open up for the interface to run (once). Apparently there were some older drivers where it opened quickly and then closed again, I would be fine with that. Would be even better if it did that in the background, I guess that would be the cleanest and most professional solution.
Old 11th February 2015
My understanding is TotalMix is a part of the driver, meaning without running TotalMix (background or foreground), audio doesn't go through the interface.

I could be wrong. You can ask RME forum, you'll get the answer much quicker.
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Use it in CC mode - no need for drivers, no TotalMix, it is all written in manual.
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have these apps from the RME BabyFace (TotalMix and a second app of which I forgot the name) and they open every time I turn on the computer. Is there a way to disable that? They can't be turned off from the System Preferences (apps that open at startup) because actually, they open when the BabyFace is connected, and not at startup.

But I have the BabyFace connected to my Mac all the time (I use it to bypass the computer's internal sound card also), which means that every time the computer is turned on, those apps open themselves… very annoying as I don't use them.

Thanks
Why would you want to remove them? they're relatively tiny bits of code that use virtually no resources. So it shows up on screen at startup, simply takes one second to close or minimise it, job done
Old 12th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes yes, I have audio coming out here.

Nothing there, but do you mean I should delete them? I'd be a bit scared of that - I've heard they need to open up for the interface to run (once). Apparently there were some older drivers where it opened quickly and then closed again, I would be fine with that. Would be even better if it did that in the background, I guess that would be the cleanest and most professional solution.
Maybe but most things can be run manually as needed generally. Most of the Kext (drivers) will be outside of those folders I listed anyway. Also, you can simply note where anything was, copy it to a temp folder, reboot a couple times and see what happens and then put them back as needed.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

With my old FireFace800, the applications (TotalMIx.app and Fireface Settings.app) are launched every time the interface is connected to the computer (OS X). So basically this happens, when the computer is started, restarted or when the FireFace800 is powered on, while the computer is on already.

When the interface is detected by the operating system, it launches a driver for the interface. This driver can be accessed from OS X Audio MIDI setup as an playback device, with limited control on how the routing is done. The driver is required for the interface to work. No need for the TotalMix.app or Fireface Settings.app.

So, (in OS X) the interface can be used without the applications on.

I have created a small Applescript application, that I set to launch on startup (via OS X System Preferences/Users & Groups/Login Items). This app waits for 20 seconds (this is the time it takes for TotalMix and Fireface Settings to launch on my system) and then tells the two applications to quit and quits itself.

This applescript takes care of the situations where fireface 800 is on, when the system is started.

You can copy it from here, and export it AS AN APP:

#Close RME applications

delay 20

tell application "Totalmix"
launch
end tell

tell application "Fireface Settings"
launch
end tell

delay 10

tell application "Totalmix"
quit

end tell

tell application "Fireface Settings"
quit
end tell

Last edited by alaiho; 3 weeks ago at 08:44 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search