The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Please recommend: Looking for a Good Pattern Editor with Filter, Gate, Tremolo etc.
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Nut

Please recommend: Looking for a Good Pattern Editor with Filter, Gate, Tremolo etc.

Hey guys,

I don't even know how to exactly call this, but I'm looking for a good plug-in that offers modulation for things like volume (tremolo), filters, and maybe even other things like pitch (vibrato).

However, I want such a plug-in to have a real rhythm pattern editor, an editor to design complex envelopes that go over several bars. Ideally I'd be able to literally draw in the envelope with a pencil tool or something.

The reason is that normal LFO modulation in normal filter or tremolo plug-ins just doesn't do it for a lot of volume or filter wobble effects that I need. I need more complex modulation than just a sine or saw wave.

Right now I do a lot of these things using track automation, but track automation is always very fiddly and you cannot save the envelope shapes you drew to easily recall them in a different project later. So automation is not a convenient way to do this. I want a plug-in that allows for a complex four-bar tremolo or filter wobble.

I have found Native Instruments Absynth FX to be an alright solution. It let's me create arbitrarily long envelopes with arbitrarily many nodes, which is a bit fiddly but already quite cool, but I wonder: Is there something even better out there?

I am basically looking for an alternative to this plug-in: Stormgate1, for which support has unfortunately been discontinued and it doesn't exist in 64-bit. I'd love for the plug-in to be more powerful, this is just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

I'm also trying to demo SoundToys' Tremolator, and I requested a demo, but the download link for the installer doesn't work for me at the moment, so I can't try that before the SoundToys support gets back to me. SoundToys say it does have a pattern editor, but I don't know how flexible that editor is. Any users here?

The main aspect of the plug-in that I need is the pattern editor to draw complex host tempo-synced envelopes over several bars. And then the more effects the plug-in can apply the envelope to, the better, but volume and filter are the most important ones to me.

Share your knowledge with me please
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Xferrecords LFOTool
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
Xferrecords LFOTool
Awesome! In case you have it, how long can the envelopes be? It doesn't become clear from the pictures on Xfer's website. Could I create a four- or eight-bar long envelope? Or even an arbitrarily long one? Does it have a grid so that I can align the envelope shape with 16th notes for example? Thanks a lot!
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

It can be free or synced to host. Timing is anything from 1/256 to 16 bars. Very versatile.
Old 8th February 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
It can be free or synced to host. Timing is anything from 1/256 to 16 bars. Very versatile.
This is great! I've also just realized they do offer a demo - my bad .

Thanks for your help!
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear

Old 8th February 2015
Gear Nut

I've demoed Xfer's LFO tool now and it is capable of doing everything I want to do. However, the small graphical edit window becomes quite fiddly for longer envelopes.

The maximum grid resolution is 16 grid lines, so if I choose the run rate to be 4 bars for example, I have four grid lines per bar or one grid line per beat in a 4/4 signature. The grid lines are important for me to snap the envelope nodes to them. I need more gridlines and an overall bigger window to program 4- or 8-bar envelopes. Alas, there seems to be no way to enlarge the window and add more gridlines.

The limit to the grid resolution is the biggest buzzkill in this case, because if I can't snap every envelope node to the grid, my envelope is not going to be accurate time-wise and the whole thing becomes useless. When I want to place a node right in the middle between two gridlines, for example, I wish I could just increase the grid resolution, but since that is not possible, placing the node right in the middle becomes guesswork - and that's not good enough in practice. It's still a pretty good tool.

Does anybody have another suggestion?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search