The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hard Drive hook-up
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

Hard Drive hook-up

I have an ASUS Sabertooth X79 ATX Intel Motherboard inside a Corsair 900D case. I'm going to connect 2 HDD's and several SSD's to the motherboard.

What do I need to purchase in addition to the drives themselves? Casing or cables?

If so, what cable(s) should I purchase to connect these drives?

You can see the input/output specs using this link, scroll down a bit:
ASUS Sabertooth X79 TUF Motherboard - ATX, Socket R, Intel X79 Express, 1866MHz DDR3, SATA 6.0 Gb/s, RAID, 8-CH Audio, Gigabit LAN, USB 3.0, PCI-Express 3.0 - SABERTOOTH X79 at TigerDirect.com

thanks
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

It more depends on your case than the MB at this point. You just need SATA cables and adapters if your case doesn't have mounting for the SSD. No insult intended, but if you have to ask about this, I wonder if you should be putting it together. At the very least, you need to be careful as you don't seem to have a lot of experience in building boxes.
Old 8th February 2015
Here for the gear

I appreciate your feedback. Usually I'm the first to admit that when it comes to a massive system such as the one I now have, I don't know much about it. I actually had someone build it some time ago. But now, I'd like to add more solid state drives. I have the mounts but not cables. Are all Sata III cables the same? I think I also need a power cable. What are the cables I need to connect an SSD? What are the cables I need to connect an HDD?
Old 9th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by workstation15 View Post
I appreciate your feedback. Usually I'm the first to admit that when it comes to a massive system such as the one I now have, I don't know much about it. I actually had someone build it some time ago. But now, I'd like to add more solid state drives. I have the mounts but not cables. Are all Sata III cables the same? I think I also need a power cable. What are the cables I need to connect an SSD? What are the cables I need to connect an HDD?
Cables are the same. You might see someone with cables labeled SATAIII, but just buy SATA cables that fit your needs. Shorter is always better. You would need SATA power adapters or splitters. You need to see how many SATA/IDE power cables you have coming off of your power supply and plan from there.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search