The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
AD/DA...
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

AD/DA...

Im working with a Fast track solo this week for some reasons and i wonder what could be the difference in terms of sound quality monitoring between the fast track and the best one we can buy ?

Will the best one will sound twice better or just lets say 20 or 30% better ? .. which is already great ofc...
Old 6th February 2015
I think with a fast track solo the monitoring is probably not the most pressing concern. What's the rest of your signal chain? And what are you doing?
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharlas View Post
I think with a fast track solo the monitoring is probably not the most pressing concern. What's the rest of your signal chain? And what are you doing?
Sorry but what do you mean exactly ?

my signal chain:

computer to Fast track to very old almost antic HIFI amp haha to control 5 jbl this week.
Old 6th February 2015
As in what are you recording? Are you just using the fastback for monitoring, or everything? What mic are you using? Depending on these factors I would say your monitoring situation is probably farther down the list.
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharlas View Post
As in what are you recording? Are you just using the fastback for monitoring, or everything? What mic are you using? Depending on these factors I would say your monitoring situation is probably farther down the list.
Yeah mainly for monitoring and recording vocals sometimes.
But can you answer my initial question please ?
What would be the best AD/DA compared to mine ? twice better or just 20 or 30% better in term of accurancy and resolution sound quality ?
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Guru

Conversion quality varies substantially from one unit to the next. I think you could probably do a lot better, yes.
Old 7th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam shew View Post
Yeah mainly for monitoring and recording vocals sometimes.
But can you answer my initial question please ?
What would be the best AD/DA compared to mine ? twice better or just 20 or 30% better in term of accurancy and resolution sound quality ?
Are you talking about in a similar price range? When you ask for the best compared to yours without specifying a price range it's a bit harder since some converters and audio interfaces can run easily into many thousands of dollars.

My advice for a competing product line would be to check out focusrite saffire or scarlett since they tend to have good converters and also better mic pres, imo.

My e-mu 0404 usb had decent converters but just crapped out last month after about 5/6 years of use. If I were to purchase another interface in a similar price range as the e-mu I was leaning towards the focusrite lineup, but I've decided to save a little extra for an RME interface which has very high quality conversion and drivers.
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear
this is like asking is there wine better than malbec. mmm... the eternal question..

Last edited by goldi; 7th February 2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: grammar:(
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
this is like asking is there wine is better than malbec. mmm... the eternal question..
Yes, gewurztraminer! Everybody knows that!
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolusFractus View Post
Are you talking about in a similar price range? When you ask for the best compared to yours without specifying a price range it's a bit harder since some converters and audio interfaces can run easily into many thousands of dollars.

My advice for a competing product line would be to check out focusrite saffire or scarlett since they tend to have good converters and also better mic pres, imo.

My e-mu 0404 usb had decent converters but just crapped out last month after about 5/6 years of use. If I were to purchase another interface in a similar price range as the e-mu I was leaning towards the focusrite lineup, but I've decided to save a little extra for an RME interface which has very high quality conversion and drivers.
No my question is what if we compare a cheap fast track to the best and very expensive audio interface !

Will the audio monitoring appear twice, 10 times better and more defined or just lets 20% or 30 % better ? I want to have an idea how bad my set up is guys is it clear lool ?
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

I think it can't be measured in percentage or in numbers. It's not about statistics, gear cannot be studied in this way.
Best way is to try it yourself. If you can borrow some hi end interface, record something, than monitor through it and mix.
Monitors and acoustics greatly depends on what you'll hear.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search