The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need replacement for Mbox 3 Pro - Mac
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Nut

Need replacement for Mbox 3 Pro - Mac

I was happy with my MBox 3 Pro for a while...alas, the MBox app stopped working on my system (Macbook Pro, Yosemite, Pro Tools 10/11, Logic). Having just replaced my 'ancient' MBox 2 Pro half a year ago because it was not supported anymore it's sad that now the MBox 3 Pro does the same to me.

So, again, I'm looking for a new audio interface, and I'm done with Avid. I tend not to use 4 inputs at once, (usually 2 mics + 2 instrument - mostly line level inputs). Options similar to what the MBox Pro box offered would be nice, like 2 separate headphones out i.e. Also, as firewire seems to be slowly waning....I'd rather go USB. I'm not thunderbolt equipped yet either. Another thing: I'm seriously latency allergic The less the very very better!

There's lots of boxes offered on the market - so many it's confusing. If you could recommend interfaces that might fit my needs I'd be thankful. Price as always is a consideration. I'm a bit looking at the SPL Crimson and I really might have to test drive it in my place to figure if it would work. Not being able to simply switch to MONO irks me though. RME interfaces seem to be well regarded - besides the elevated price point I'm not sure if the GUI is something that makes me happy...?

Anyway, maybe there's something out there I'm not aware of, so please just chime in and I will check out. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Nut

Anybody....?
Old 5th February 2015
Lives for gear

Have you downloaded the latest drivers? They are definitely compatible with Yosemite, and the Mbox 3 Pro is definitely a currently supported unit.
Old 5th February 2015
Gear Nut

Thank you for your suggestion! Yes, officially MBox 3 Pro is supported, and I do have the latest driver, alas, the MBox app does not work anymore, that is only half assed. The MBox itself cannot be accessed via system sound preference panel. I and many others (mostly on the duc list) searched for solutions and the best was to go the roundabout 'aggregate' route. This at least makes it usable, alas, unsteady and acting weird more often than what one would like. The app itself sometimes shows that audio is 'streaming' and sometimes doesn't but any settings or changes done in the MBox app have no effect. Sad, because the box really did everything I needed.
Old 5th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmaster62 View Post
Thank you for your suggestion! Yes, officially MBox 3 Pro is supported, and I do have the latest driver, alas, the MBox app does not work anymore, that is only half assed. The MBox itself cannot be accessed via system sound preference panel. I and many others (mostly on the duc list) searched for solutions and the best was to go the roundabout 'aggregate' route. This at least makes it usable, alas, unsteady and acting weird more often than what one would like. The app itself sometimes shows that audio is 'streaming' and sometimes doesn't but any settings or changes done in the MBox app have no effect. Sad, because the box really did everything I needed.
What exactly do you mean by "the MBox app does not work anymore". My neighbor has Mbox Pro 3, PT11 and Yosemite and it all works fine???
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Nut

Well that's the thing - there's peoples where it works and others where it doesn't. Unfortunately and plenty more are part of the others. One of the threads is here: Mbox 3 with Yosemite? - Avid Pro Audio Community.

I can only install/uninstall/re-install so often. I tried out every published driver - from the oldest to the newest. But still - with the 'aggregate' work around I can use it, but it's quite crippled and the app just sits there. If I try to select the Mbox in the sound prefs directly it all stops ....
Old 6th February 2015
I'm done with my Mbox 3 Pro too - I had DSP effects and the tuner not working from early on, then the clock went, so I got it replaced outside the warranty period, but the replacement unit started playing up within 2 months, so I was like "screw this" and got an Apollo Twin. It's thunderbolt unfortunately, but if you can afford to upgrade your mac, I highly recommend this unit.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

As for replacements with similar I/O, perhaps the Apogee Quartet would be something to consider.
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

I have an M box 3 pro as well.

I'd recommend a MOTU USB/Thunderbolt hybrid. Rocksolid Mac drivers.
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

For the minimal inputs your after , check out the Apollo
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Nut

wondering, can the Apogee Quartet be used in a 'stand-alone' mode - does it work without being attached to a computer?
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmaster62 View Post
wondering, can the Apogee Quartet be used in a 'stand-alone' mode - does it work without being attached to a computer?
I'm pretty sure it does not.
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Nut

Thank you nst7.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search