The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mac (2009) digital output to Mbox2pro SPDIF input
Old 4th February 2015
Gear Head

Mac (2009) digital output to Mbox2pro SPDIF input

Hi,

I have a digital cable running from my 2009 macPro (digital out via Toslink digi cable) to a powered converter to SPDIF cable into digital input on MBox2pro (channels 5&6).
Does the digital output from MacPro always send out audio
(ie. channels 1&2/L&R) by default,
or do I need to set this up somehow (aggregate device??) so I can listen to audio as usual from monitors connected to Mbox,
and get sound from digital output at the same time.
I am trying to set up SpectraFoo ( & prob Spectre in future ) to receive the audio via this method for analysis, but so far no luck...
Any help / tips would be very welcome.
TIA,
Lewis.
Old 4th February 2015
I don't know much about Macs and some of the other things you mention, and I'm not quite sure if I'm understanding your question.... but I can say that s/pdif is a stereo signal, not multiple channels like say, adat etc. (if that is of some confusion for you?) I believe it's your audio card & DAW software that can determine which two channels you want to send that stereo signal out of, otherwise the default I would guess be channels 1/L & 2/R.

I use s/pdif cables between multiple PC's, via Aardvark Q10's in each machine. I use I think channels 9/L & 10/R of my sound cards to send my stereo signals...errr...I may be wrong on that actually...I think I just use 'channel 9' for both my In & Out on my s/pdif, as a digital coaxial RCA cable/connection caries 2-channels (L/R).
I've also used toslink cables between my Aardvark Aark 24 cards for multiple channels (8) which is much more work to set up, and since I only needed a stereo channel, I went to using that toslink for just stereo & no assigning multiple channels.

But going back to s/pdif in your case s/pdif is only capable of a stereo L/R signal. If I've understood what you're doing correctly...using a Toslink to some s/pdif conversion box, Toslink I think being capable of both multi-channel or a stereo channel, and s/pdif only being a stereo channel, you'd have to make sure you match up the Toslink & s/pdif on the same 2 channels...1/2, or 3/4 etc, etc.

Or...maybe I'm way off on what your question is...?

Last edited by Steve Fogal; 4th February 2015 at 04:22 PM..
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Head

sorted:

MBox SPDIF out to converter to Toslink cable to MacPro built in digital input

AudioMidiSetup aggregate device -
MBox2pro + built in digital input

Logic Preferences > Audio > Devices = aggregate device

Logic Preferences > Audio > i/o assignements
Output = 7&8 (MBOX SPDIF)
mirroring box checked

Spectrafoo input channels = macPro built in digital in (7&8)

ATB,
L.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search