The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Plugins Statutory Rights
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Head

Plugins Statutory Rights

I know Waves/UAD etc.... put a statement in saying any purchases are final and cannot be altered, but at least in the UK don't we have 14 days right to return if unsatisfied with a product legally?

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
Old 31st January 2015
Lives for gear

I don't have any direct knowledge/experience with this but most plugins have trials. If you forego the chance to demo the trial and buy the plugin I think you would void any right to ask for a refund.
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Addict

depends on the country.

in AU, refunds are usually conditional on something being broken or not fit for purpose. "i decided i don't like it" isn't a good enough reason.

dunno what the situation is in the UK or USA.
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Addict

note that waves will do license transfers without too much hassle though.
Old 2nd February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangiedog View Post
I know Waves/UAD etc.... put a statement in saying any purchases are final and cannot be altered, but at least in the UK don't we have 14 days right to return if unsatisfied with a product legally?

Does anyone have any knowledge on this?
I suspect that download only purchases probably don't count in the category above although my knowledge of contract law is so far out of date it's no better and certainly no more reliable than hearsay but the 14 day thing is when you sign a finance deal or buy an insurance policy or something?
I do know that with software packages (as in "boxed software") - and this might apply to download deals too - you can return for a full refund if you do not agree with the terms & conditions statement you are obliged to agree with before installation can happen - if you took it back & said "only just got around to installing it & I do not like the T&C's" then assuming you've not activated it you should get a full refund. Obviously if it has been activated you must have agreed to T&C's so will be out of luck.

Hope this helps
Old 2nd February 2015

Quote:

If it can be shown that isn't fit for purpose - yes. Proving that would be your issue and, actually, not limited to 14days. The 14 day cool off is intended for other deals (as outlined in a previous post).
Old 2nd February 2015
Gear Head

Thanks for the info, was clutching at straws, it is fit for purpose to be honest, I am just angry at UAD, first plugin of theirs I have bought after them constantly emailing me about the $50 voucher I had after buying a hardware unit. Gave in as last day of voucher and bought Neve 1076 plugin for $299 and then the $50 off so $249. Literally 3 hours later they reduced the plugin to $149!!! so I was $100 down...

Oh well easy come easy go. Thanks for the replies chaps.
Old 3rd February 2015
Here for the gear

That's not cool from UA at all. I resisted every urge I had with that $50 voucher. Hopefully you'll at least receive another $50 voucher (that others don't recieve) for being a regular active customer. I received a few in my initial burst of UA purchases.
Old 3rd February 2015

Quote:
Thanks for the info, was clutching at straws, it is fit for purpose to be honest, I am just angry at UAD, first plugin of theirs I have bought after them constantly emailing me about the $50 voucher I had after buying a hardware unit. Gave in as last day of voucher and bought Neve 1076 plugin for $299 and then the $50 off so $249. Literally 3 hours later they reduced the plugin to $149!!! so I was $100 down...

Oh well easy come easy go. Thanks for the replies chaps.
thats the problem with sales... i did the same with the iPad 2 !!!

Email them and tell them. They might at least give them another voucher.

Be nice though - always think of the goal (getting your voucher etc) and not "being right". Talk in terms of "i'd love to be able to buy more plugins" etc
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Head

Hopefully, nothing yet though... One the plus side at least the plugin is the dogs balls. I just wish companies would set a fair price point where they make a decent profit with enough left over for development of new products and leave it at that. When they suddenly knock of over half the price they just blatantly tell you "this is how much we constantly rip you off for"

Gits...
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hopefully, nothing yet though... One the plus side at least the plugin is the dogs balls. I just wish companies would set a fair price point where they make a decent profit with enough left over for development of new products and leave it at that. When they suddenly knock of over half the price they just blatantly tell you "this is how much we constantly rip you off for"

Gits...
Another point of view is that they sell there software at a "professional" price. If you are a pro and you feel that you "need" the product to make a living then you "invest" in professional tools. If you do not make your living with these tools then you still have the opportunity to purchase them for a reduced price when they go on sale.

Last edited by sparqee; 8th February 2015 at 04:01 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search