The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Setting Reverb in Pro Tools - HELP!
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Setting Reverb in Pro Tools - HELP!

Hello, everyone! I've read several threads on the subject, but it was not yet clear to me, I would like someone to help me on the following questions:

1 - What is the best way to create a mono in/stereo out reverb? Creating a mono auxiliary and adding a stereo reverb (mono to stereo) or already creating a stereo auxiliary and sending (send) only one side of the instrument or voice (L or R) instead of stereo send?

2 - How to add a reverb to the delay return? Creating send (from delay) for a reverb aux?

3 - Some explanation because many engineers like to use mono instead of stereo send?

4 - Mono send is also common with dual mono delays?

Cheers!
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear
You have to be clear what you are wanting to do. There is no difference sending a stereo track to a stereo reverb or mono send if that stereo track u are sending is the same on both sides. Exactly the same end result but 6db louder. If you have a genuine stereo track, (different info each side), it would usually be better to send it to a true stereo reverb. If however you are wanting to re create an old plate reverb or spring or something, what you are suggesting could theoretically make sense. Often those reverbs had a mono in where a stereo track was sent. When it comes out of verb at the end, obviously the panning has no meaning but that's cool. Try it! It could be better for some things but don't sweat it. have some vintage hardware reverbs that work this way with a mono send but I generally prefer the stereo option if it is available even if making old time sounds.

In regards to question 1, there are many ways. The first option is prob best. You could also send to aux and bring the pans in the middle, then send that aux to another aux with rev to get super complicated.

Q2, create a send from the delay aux and send it to verb as much or little as want. Often delay gets sent to verb to exaggerate effect. If you want the delay entirely in verb assign the outputs to verb. This would be extreme.

Q3 explained above

Q4 same principle with mono send. Again, I'd lean toward keeping everything stereo but try it like the reverb. It won't be bad unless there is some weird phase thing going on when u collapse the stereo tracks to mono for the send.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear
One more point in case I'm not following. just sending a regular mono track to a stereo aux with reverb on it is the best way if u start with mono track. I figure u are on top of that.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you, Moondog007!

I saw Rob Hoffman, Kenny Gioia and CLA talking about using this option, a very common way in analog means, I was willing to do some tests.

I was recommended to create a mono aux, insert a stereo reverb in it (mono to stereo) and then create a send of all tracks. Would give the same effect to create a stereo aux and when creating a send, select only one side (instead of bus 15-16, select only the 15, for example)?
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

The busses don't have to be stereo to go to a stereo aux track.

Let's say you have a mono vocal track. You've set up a stereo reverb on a stereo aux track. That stereo aux track has, as it's inputs, busses 13-14, or 5-6, etc.

On your mono vocal track, you create a send. That send goes to buss 13-14, or 5-6, or whatever. This will basically send your mono sound source into your stereo reverb.

If you have a stereo audio track, like a drum overhead, or piano, it's the same thing. Create a send on that track, and select 13-14, or 5-6, etc., as the output.
Old 8th February 2015
Lives for gear
Yeah I think I'm following u... That seems right. I don't see quite what are trying to do though. Why specifically do you want a mono send from a stereo track to a stereo reverb? You could also pan the actual stereo send straight in the middle if your a DAW let's you do that. Not quite sure of the why though? Did u want to do a vintage authentic thing?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search