The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgading to the new Intel Haswell CPU Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 29th January 2015
Here for the gear
Upgading to the new Intel Haswell CPU

Was thinking of upgrading my CPU to the new Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA 2011-v3 currently I'm using a i7 2660k.
I process pretty large files mostly in DXD and DSD128, was wondering if anyone has feedback on this and if it would make a substantial bump in performance to process these high rez files.
I mainly use Pyramix and also use Izotope RX frequently
Thanks
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

Yup, it's huge, the systems we build with x99 are planet-crushers.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

You will get most of the benefit and keep some money in your pocket using the Intel 5820K six core instead for an X99 motherboard option. There is info on both CPU's here for your further research.

If you are not using tons of plugins and/or virtual instuments then most of the benefit will be lower CPU usage with the change to X99. As for speed of a single operation you will gain some from the 2 additional cores / chipset improvements and lose some from the lower clocking speed of the six core CPU (assuming you have overclocked your 2600K four core).

Last edited by Bassmankr; 30th January 2015 at 12:28 AM..
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Since I have you guys' attention (?), could you just clarify a few things since I have to upgrade this upcoming week probably... I'm going from a Phenom 9950 system so 4790/5820 will be a quite substantial upgrade I presume (?).

- Am I interpreting correctly that in terms of DAW performance going from a 4790k to 5820k considering price it's close to "linear"? I basically checked how performance should scale from the quad core at a certain frequency to hex core different frequency, and then checked price. Seems they're on par more or less. (all stock speed)

- Anything I should watch out for on the x99 platform right now or are we pretty much good to go? I know it was a rocky start.... MSI, Gigabyte, ASRock, ASUS all good to go?

- DDR4 memory would probably the area I know the least about. I've read that there's a limitation of memory speed which makes it appear as if plenty of modules will be rated higher than what is officially supported on mobo/cpus. What's the solution here? Just get the exact same speed, or slightly faster, and leave speed at supported rate? And any particular make/model you recommend?

- Built-in video on 4790k good enough to drive two monitors simultaneously, 1920x1200?

- Anything else I should pay attention to at this point?

I'll be reusing case, PSU, HD's/SSD's, and am probably looking at either a passively cooled card (have one already) or a newer GTX960 (I know it's overkill for audio). I'll have to replace my LYNX-TWO-B which annoys me, but I'm looking at the Antelope Zen which would make me mobile as well. The prices I've seen seem to put the x99 build at only about $200-250 over the 4790 in total, with most of that being DDR4. This excludes having to get a new ADAC of course.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

mattiasnyc, You are roughly looking at $1k for a 4790K DIY build and $1.5k for a 5820K DIY build (USA prices, smart shopping and not reusing other parts you already have). The pro builders of course charge more but you will have a debugged and tuned system and service. Looking at the DAWbench results of an overclocked build of each of those CPU's at lowest latency (for your overdubbing phase) and the 5820K build will do about double the total plugins. At the mixing phase when you have latency set higher the gap between systems lessens (you can find the actual DAWbench results for each build here via search). As for your scaling question, actual clock speed and number of cores does not scale up the same (there is a specific old thread here titled something like Ghz vs. Cores or something like that for more detailed info). Basically for most, Ghz clock speed is more important to the overall DAW performance. So depending on available budget and needs (assuming composer type) best bang for the buck with new DAW boxes would go . . . 4 core, then 6 core, then two 4 core boxes networked or old scholled farmed, etc. So determining your true needs is a huge factor in what are your best options as it's going to boil down to an individual thing.

In your particular case, if you are not running loads of plugs / soft synths the 4790K 4 core build might make more sense in that you can find motherboards for it with PCI slots to keep your existing interface(s) such as the Asus Z97-C with three PCI slots (check compatibilty with your interface maker as these new motherboards for the new CPU's will have "bridged" PCI slots). If going down the 4790K road there is a recent thread title along the lines of "$20 to help build my computer" which will give you some tips.

As far as video the built in video cuts it for 1080P resolution (1920 x 1080) which will be the native resolution for many inexpensive LCD TV's to use for moniters. There are past threads here which list a no fan AMD Video card that one of the pro builders uses for his rigs that is very inexpensive.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks a million.

Just to clarify: I'd expect my "scaling up" to hinge upon more post-work and preferably surround, meaning plugins and possibly a few VSTI's, not really recording. I've managed so far with this old system and even done paying 1-hr shows on it, probably because I've adjusted my workflow a bit. But it's been working fine with slight sluggishness as the projects become more complex as far as routing and edits go. Not so much because of effects processing (yet).

Also, I only have the need for one PCI slot currently (Lynx), unless of course I go for the 5820k. I'd love to do the 6-core mostly for future-proofing of the entire platform. I think it's worth the extra money for the computer parts themselves, the only issue being the darn ADAC.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Future proofing is not really there with computers in that when new CPU's come out they likely have new chipsets requiring new motherboards to go with it. The industry doesn't want you to buy a new part, they want you to buy a new system.

As for DDR4 memory it's probably the biggest negative for the x99 platform in that it currently doesn't perform better than DDR3 options. It's got very loose timings and cost too much. That won't change until the end of this year or maybe even the first half of next year.

From what you describe in your last post, the four core 4790K rig would probably cut it but only you can determine your true needs (it still runs plenty of plugs and soft synths, see DAWbench results). The Asus Z97-A has only one PCI slot but I thought the Z97-C had a few other features for basically the same price you are likely to find out there and why I mentioned that.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Future proofing is not really there with computers in that when new CPU's come out they likely have new chipsets requiring new motherboards to go with it. The industry doesn't want you to buy a new part, they want you to buy a new system.
I was thinking more in terms of comparing it to the alternative, where in a couple of years PCI is definitely out of the question (for me) I'm guessing. So I'd rather not pay for that and then not use it, or worse, figure out that I want to get into video editing and realize I'd rather have had more PCI-e slots.

Either way, thx again for the input. I'll take it into careful consideration.
Old 30th January 2015
Lives for gear

I'm running a Hasbeen.
Old 31st January 2015
Lives for gear

You are going to have to take a look at EACH motherboard canidate with it's available slots and more importantly how those slots operate in conjunction with each other if you are thinking that down the road you may load it up with video cards. For example I mispoke in an earlier post about the Asus Z97-A. When I looked up the specs it actually has two PCI slots instead of just the one I stated in that post but here is an example of what I mean about how you load it up for the PCIe slots which it has many of. From one of it's reviews "the ASUS Z97-A has chosen to include two older legacy PCI slots that go along with the two PCIe x1 slots located in the middle and at the top. You can also see we have three PCIe x16 slots that support both CrossFire and SLI. If you're running just a single card, the top slot will run at x16. If you opt to use two cards, then they will both run at x8. As for the third slot, that runs at just x2." See how loading effects CERTAIN PCIe slot speed. This is not uncommon and why extra research is needed if you plan to add cards down the road to find the right motherboard to fit your usage / future usage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search