The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Music Laptop Crashed, recommendations for my backup laptop
Old 28th January 2015
Music Laptop Crashed, recommendations for my backup laptop

Hi,

The other day my HP Pavilion that was running Windows 7 has finally reached the end of it's life. I was running Studio One (Reaper before) with little to no issues; computers specs were Intel 2nd gen? i5 2.5 turbo boost 3.1, 8 GB ram, with a 750 HDD. It's required that I continue recording and mixing but the only problem is, I don't think my backup laptop (I used for web surfing and what not) can handle a DAW and plugins. It's an Asus Notebook (not sure of the model) with an Intel 2.4 dual core Pentium, 4 GB ram, and a 320 HDD, and it's running Windows 8. Since it's my only laptop currently until I receive my tax returns (which I'll be using to purchase a desktop), I'm stuck with using it for at least a couple months for my W2 to go through. But as I said, I still need to continue mixing and recording. So My question is, what do you guys recommend I do with this laptop? Which DAW would be more suitable for this laptop (if any) and how should I approach this situation? I have Studio One and Reaper and I'd be using stock plugins, and if Reaper I may use some free 3rd party plugins.

I took apart the HP and took out the processor and it surprisingly fit in the Asus but I had to swap it back out due to the Asus overheating quickly and shutting down so that's not an option. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search