The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphone on audio interface dead/squeels
Old 28th January 2015
Headphone on audio interface dead/squeels

I have an Aardvark Q10 audio interface I bought second hand from eBay. I put it through the tests yesterday and the various inputs & outputs seem to work, but no 'audio sound' is coming from it's headphone output. All I get is a faint low volume whine or squeal. It's headphone volume does not increase or decrease the level of the noise...Nor if I turn it up full, will I hear even any faint audio either.

However, I 'can' hear audio sounds very clear from it's 1/4" main 'rear' L/R outputs by plugging in my headphones with a proper "Y" splitter, designed to use 2 mono outputs with stereo headphones.

Another thing is 'while' I'm plugging in the headphones in & out of the Q10's headphone jack, the scratchy sound you'd typically hear from plugging in or unplugging is 'extremely' loud,even with the volume to zero. I made that mistake twice (lol) I own 4 other Q10 sound cards and none of them make that level of noise while plugging/unplugging headphones...then again, none of them have a blown headphone jack either.

I contacted the seller about a possible refund & he insisted this Q10 worked for him, and he said he used it with an Aardvark 24/96 card in the same system, and monitored through it's headphone there, and apparently 'claiming' that's the way it's 'supposed' to work...the Q10 & 24/96 together. Yeah, I don't think so
I use multiple Win XP machines with my Aardvark Q10 & Aark 24 collection, with multiple Aardvarks cards installed in the same system, and all by themselves, I know for a fact that a single Q10 is supposed to work in a single machine, 'without' the need to use 'another' card to monitor through

Disappointed, being the way I use them is, most often I'll use the headphone jacks on each as I work with one machine or another.

These things have micro components inside and even though I'm technically minded, I don't think I can fix this. If it was just an obvious blown capacitor or resister, maybe I could. Visually, all components 'look' ok. It 'would' have been a good deal otherwise.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search