The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the big deal about Thunderbolt?
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict

What's the big deal about Thunderbolt?

I hate audio sometimes... I just went and upgraded my card to the Saffire Pro 40 about 2 months ago and now the new range of Focusrite Thunderbolt interfaces were announced... so it got me thinking. What exactly is the huge deal over Thunderbolt? What does it do that FW 800 can't? Other than faster conversions... but I don't hear any audible latency in my Pro 40.

Basically I'm just trying to convince myself it isn't necessary to save up a grand for the new Clarett range of interfaces =\ ... lol.

Thanks for any replies!
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
I think the claret out specs the saffire. It's going to be an all around new interface with better conversion (no one jump me here for using the "c" word) and I think it said better pres. And yes a lot more bandwitch for for your signals going adda. So maybe where your daw bogged at 45 tracks (example). Now your cpu can process 80 tracks. Again just an example. But I also beleive usb 2 is better than firewire Not on paper but u know there's a reason new computers are not implementing them but they are adding usb... So I wouldn't get crazy hung up on it. You have a good interface and if I were u I would just take my time and get to know it. Then in a few months or a year or two. Thjnk about the upgrade. I think at this point we haven't seeen tb reach its full potential so I don't think your missing out too much. No audible difference your right!!! Just bandwitch
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebenard913 View Post
I think the claret out specs the saffire. It's going to be an all around new interface with better conversion (no one jump me here for using the "c" word) and I think it said better pres. And yes a lot more bandwitch for for your signals going adda. So maybe where your daw bogged at 45 tracks (example). Now your cpu can process 80 tracks. Again just an example. But I also beleive usb 2 is better than firewire Not on paper but u know there's a reason new computers are not implementing them but they are adding usb... So I wouldn't get crazy hung up on it. You have a good interface and if I were u I would just take my time and get to know it. Then in a few months or a year or two. Thjnk about the upgrade. I think at this point we haven't seeen tb reach its full potential so I don't think your missing out too much. No audible difference your right!!! Just bandwitch
And at this point save the grand for something else. I'd put it into a decent pre or compressor or another mic if u don't have a decent one. No need to re upgrade
your interface
Old 27th January 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Usb 2 can already do high track counts, thunderbolt isn't required for just that.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Usb 2 can already do high track counts, thunderbolt isn't required for just that.
Again. It was just an example. But he's right. I was going to say that we run our symphony I/o in usb mode all the time in protools native 11 with huge track counts and no hiccups. Again I beleive its still better than firewire. But there's a reason everything is going to tb.
Old 27th January 2015
Administrator

I am of the same opinion that if someone already has a good interface, that is serving them well, there is no need for them to jump to thunderbolt just because it's newer.
Old 27th January 2015
Administrator

Oh and what I like about thunderbolt is the flexibility (connectivity wise) of it. I have a 2560x1440 monitor connected to an OWC thunderbay 4....one cable to the Mac.
Old 27th January 2015
Quote:
Again. It was just an example. But he's right. I was going to say that we run our symphony I/o in usb mode all the time in protools native 11 with huge track counts and no hiccups. Again I beleive its still better than firewire. But there's a reason everything is going to tb.
Not everyone. For example, Metric Halo is going USB2. They said that a complete driver rewrite was needed but the speeds/track counts are very, very high.
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yeah I read the new Clarett series is based around the Focusrite ISA pre's.

But there's some good info here in these posts... maybe I should just save that money and grab a really nice mic like you mentioned (I have a decent one but nothing mind blowing)

Thanks for all the replies.

Gear Acquisition Syndrome can be a pain in the ass... that's why I hate (and love) NAMM! Lol.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Beats View Post
What exactly is the huge deal over Thunderbolt?
Apple adopted it, so all the fanboys think it must be really really vital and great.

No "huge deal" as far as I can see.
Old 27th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Apple adopted it, so all the fanboys think it must be really really vital and great.

No "huge deal" as far as I can see.
Absolutely.

If you bought a new Mac pro then it's your only real choice for peripherals as they killed PCIe.

Basically it's just external PCIe with a crappy connector.

MC
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Nut
I'm stuck with firewire-400 for now (which is completely serving my purposes). Get the feeling thunderbolt will never be fully embraced by the mainstream and will have a shorter life-span than even firewire did. Next interface will be USB2, maybe USB3 if they ever make any.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search