The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any News on Stevens Slate Drums 5?
Old 3rd May 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
So my Midi programmed drums will now sound like a human playing drums now, with the RDM?

How the hell can an intelligent algorithm interpret our MIDI programming or electronic drum playing as close to the real deal as possible? What real deal? How can an algorithm know what the final musical expression and feel will be like?

Isn't a midi hit a midi hit no matter how many multisamples and velocity layers it triggers?
Isn't a drum sample a drum sample recorded one at the time no matter?

Or are you talking about the included grooves (which of corse can be perfected to playing style)?
Hi, good questions.

So if you have a basic MIDI triggered playback, you can, for example, have a bunch of hits like:

NoteX 127, NoteX 122, NoteX 125, NoteX 127

That MIDI can trigger recorded samples in those velocities and ensure that the same sample does not play twice (round robin) and that each sample cuts off the last one.

Now, let's take it one step further. When a drummer hits a snare drum, then before it stops resonating from the first hit, he hits the snare again... does the first hit really get cut off? No it doesn't. When there are a group of hits, does the drummer always stay on the middle of the head? Or will he slightly deviate which then will cause the resonances to modulate because of the physical placement of the hits? What about when there are ghost notes and the snares are rattling, how do they get cut off when other louder hits are played?

There are many more questions I can ask that will force you to think more about how real drums react when getting hit by real humans with real sticks. So our algorithms try to interpret not just the MIDI note data, but also the data about what is being played and how it can recreate the performance in the most human way possible.

Thanks for the question.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guavadude View Post
looking forward to the update but I really hope SSD 5 clears the buffer when stopping and then starting playback in Logic.
SSD4 is the ONLY VI I use that still does that. i spend a lot of time waiting for cymbals to stop ringing when bouncing out tracks.
Hah, I thought that was just me! Nothing more annoying that going to the start of the track, hitting play and getting cymbal wash for the first bar (before the drums have come in!).

I end up automating a fade on the drums so they are muted until they actually come in. It's no big deal, and I too am looking forward to SSD5.
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Hah, I thought that was just me! Nothing more annoying that going to the start of the track, hitting play and getting cymbal wash for the first bar (before the drums have come in!).

I end up automating a fade on the drums so they are muted until they actually come in. It's no big deal, and I too am looking forward to SSD5.
Damn I thought this was me only to
Old 3rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Slate View Post
Hi, good questions.

So if you have a basic MIDI triggered playback, you can, for example, have a bunch of hits like:

NoteX 127, NoteX 122, NoteX 125, NoteX 127

That MIDI can trigger recorded samples in those velocities and ensure that the same sample does not play twice (round robin) and that each sample cuts off the last one.

Now, let's take it one step further. When a drummer hits a snare drum, then before it stops resonating from the first hit, he hits the snare again... does the first hit really get cut off? No it doesn't. When there are a group of hits, does the drummer always stay on the middle of the head? Or will he slightly deviate which then will cause the resonances to modulate because of the physical placement of the hits? What about when there are ghost notes and the snares are rattling, how do they get cut off when other louder hits are played?

There are many more questions I can ask that will force you to think more about how real drums react when getting hit by real humans with real sticks. So our algorithms try to interpret not just the MIDI note data, but also the data about what is being played and how it can recreate the performance in the most human way possible.

Thanks for the question.

Cheers,
Steven
And thanks for answering

Don't worry about me. I have been recording real musicians (and drummers) for over 4 decades, and I know real physics from midi triggered samples

So you are basically saying that you have a way for the different samples/hits to overlap the decay of each other? Front (around the room) or backside (captured recording) of the mic?

Yep, once the soundwaves are bouncing around they will last according to how hard it is hit and the room (damping, size) bla bla............... And they will merge into each other when recorded (where all sound waves "meet" at the microphone). Basic physics

PS. Sorry for my non-native english attempt on an explaination. But I tried
Old 17th May 2016
Gear Maniac
When is the release for SSD5 and is three any news regarding the upgrade plan?
Old 18th May 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi guys we'll have an upgrade path that will be quite fair and also present some some options.

More news soon.

Cheers,
Steven
It's been a month since this post. And yes I know there are later posts from you in this thread, but none speak to the release date/week/month of SSD5.

I saw, and am very impressed with, the Blue Series modules you just released, as well as the other modules you have "slated" for the summer. But I don't really use any Slate Digital plugs (other than FG-X), I'm mainly an SSD user, so that's what i'm focused on.

I say this with the utmost of respect, peace and love - you and your company have accomplished amazing things and have a lot on your plate. With that said, any idea, any idea at all on the timeline on SSD5 would be greatly appreciated. Especially with these new humanized features you speak of, which I am in great need of

Cheers,
Nola
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Head
Come on Slate! Throw us a bone! I need some new drum samples!

Will you have any SJCs in there?
Old 19th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberzack View Post
Come on Slate! Throw us a bone! I need some new drum samples!

Will you have any SJCs in there?
My fingers have been crossed on the SJCs but I know that even still SSD5 is gonna be my go to like SSD4.
Old 24th May 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Hey guys, we're looking at a mid July release at this point. I'll try to get upgrade pricing out asap, but it'll be really affordable and worth it.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hey guys, we're looking at a mid July release at this point. I'll try to get upgrade pricing out asap, but it'll be really affordable and worth it.

Cheers,
Steven
Damn, I was really hoping for that May or June release. I trust your word on the affordable upgrade path and look forward to it. When can we expect a video of SSD 5 in action at the very least?
Old 4th June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
We are talking about July 2016 right? Just making sure Slate.
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hi, will it have bleed in all the pieces?
Old 5th June 2016
Gear Head
I want some C&C, SJC, etc

I also hope for more hats, toms, and cymbals.
Old 9th June 2016
Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
At risk of being a pain in the ass, any idea about that upgrade pricing? I bought SSD4 platinum last year (and all the expansions the last time you guys had a major sale) and I'm super excited for 5!
Old 10th June 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:

Cheers,
Steven
Hey Steve,

Will you have promo/upgrade pricing available for existing Slate Digital module owners? I own 5 modules/plugs and Air EQ - now we're interested in Slate Drums...never tried them, but hear great things.

If Platinum 5 is around the corner, we'd quickly scoop it up with a "Slate Family Promo" (that one's free...all other genius marketing promo naming rights will cost ya)

Cheers man
Old 11th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid View Post
Will you have promo/upgrade pricing available for existing Slate Digital module owners? I own 5 modules/plugs and Air EQ - now we're interested in Slate Drums...never tried them, but hear great things.

Cheers man
I doubt there's gonna be upgrade pricing for Slate Digital customers since SSD falls under a different company, but there's a major SSD4 sale happening right now. I'd suggest picking up SSD4 platinum and then paying the upgrade price to 5 when announced. It'll be much cheaper than paying for 5 outright.

Store - Steven Slate Drums
Old 12th June 2016
Gear Head

[QUOTE=JackFrost;11957123]I doubt there's gonna be upgrade pricing for Slate Digital customers since SSD falls under a different company, but there's a major SSD4 sale happening right now. I'd suggest picking up SSD4 platinum and then paying the upgrade price to 5 when announced. It'll be much cheaper than paying for 5 outright.

Is this likely to be true? I've don't own SSD, and have been waiting for SSD5 to make the purchase.
If sale-price-SSD4 + SSD5 upgrade is likely to be < than full cost SSD5 then I'll buy SSD4 on the sale right now.
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

EZ Drummer 2 is on sale now. I have Superior, SSD, Battery and a few others, but EZ 2 had my curiosity peaked. Bought it and was pretty impressed..There are some brilliant improvements in there and the new engine sounds great. Hopefully SSD5 will incorporate some of the time savers in EZ2.
L.
Old 12th June 2016
Hope the 14" and 16" toms will have some body this time
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=RedKite;11958609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFrost View Post
I doubt there's gonna be upgrade pricing for Slate Digital customers since SSD falls under a different company, but there's a major SSD4 sale happening right now. I'd suggest picking up SSD4 platinum and then paying the upgrade price to 5 when announced. It'll be much cheaper than paying for 5 outright.

Is this likely to be true? I've don't own SSD, and have been waiting for SSD5 to make the purchase.
If sale-price-SSD4 + SSD5 upgrade is likely to be < than full cost SSD5 then I'll buy SSD4 on the sale right now.
My guess is it will be roughly the same. But really nobody really knows yet. And you aren't going to get an official answer to that until sometime after this sale is over.
Old 12th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKite View Post

I can almost guarantee the upgrade price will be worth it. Combine that with the sale price for SSD4 right now? It's definitely gonna be worth it to pick it up.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a Slate employee, I just really like the products, and Steven always takes care of the longtime customers.)
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
Hopefully SSD5 will incorporate some of the time savers in EZ2.
L.
Judging from the SSD5 screen shots, there won't be any EZD2 style tools.
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

So you can't use it self contained since there is no EQ? You have to use separate outs?
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 View Post
You have to use separate outs?
What's wrong with that? it's a doddle to set up and means I can put whatever I want on each channel.
Old 13th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
What's wrong with that? it's a doddle to set up and means I can put whatever I want on each channel.

I used to do that but after using Addictive Drums for a while I can't live without being able to easily pull up a totally mixed kit. For me its makes my workflow so much better. All the other brands have that ability so I was hoping Slate would. Of course you have to like the built in FX but in AD I'm totally happy with them.
Old 15th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm wondering if the drums on 5 will be the drums slate recorded with Chad from RHCP for the CLA mix class?

Last edited by Jayrawk; 16th June 2016 at 06:13 PM..
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

SSD5 is in the new Pearl drum module. I think it sounds amazing. Natural drums but still powerful: https://youtu.be/JSDJEMTiptw

Pearl Website: http://pearldrum.com/products/kits/e...ic-pro-module/
Old 24th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
SSD5 is in the new Pearl drum module. I think it sounds amazing. Natural drums but still powerful: https://youtu.be/JSDJEMTiptw
In the video - which is very much not an ideal way to judge I admit, it doesn't sound much different to my Roland sound module.
No doubt real drum samples are a positive progression, but if they are limited in number and overly clean/processed, it ends up not being much different to virtual/modelled sounds.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

I don't know if it was just the samples used but I thought it sounded terrible. Like, extremely bad. Didn't sound like Steven Slate drums to me, as said above it sounded like typical electric drums.
I got excited when I saw it but then when I heard it I was like, whoa. That's not good.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

I emailed the company and apparently Kraft recorded it through a mixer headphone amp with the live mic mixed in. I still like the tuning and room sound. This video is higher quality: https://youtu.be/lFLLkJKulQw The drum demo is at around 39 seconds in.

I don't think it sounds like a Roland module although the distortion in the camera input does make sound closer in the Kraft video. It is good to actually go back and listen to a video of something like a TD30. You may forget how electronic it sounds.
TD30: https://youtu.be/zQdjKbEg_YU
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search