The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Digital Performer 9 Preview
Old 23rd January 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

Digital Performer 9 Preview

I see that there was a preview of Digital Performer 9 at Namm 2015. Appears to have happened yesterday. Does anyone have any more information? I don't see any press releases.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #2
Here for the gear
 

The new 64-bit MX4 synth will be included in DP9.
There are now "lanes" for all automation, in both MIDI and audio tracks, which can be viewed
superimposed over the track, or as separate windows beneath the track.
QuickScribe will now export a Music XML file (great for those Sibelius users).
New "1176" style FET compressor.
New guitar stomp box effects including emulation of Electro Harmonix POG.
New "session comments" sidebar feature, you can enter general comments on each sequence, like "engineered by.." etc.
Mixer looks about the same, pan knobs are much bigger. Overall GUI appearance is about the
same as DP8.
Audio tracks can now display spectrograms as well as waveforms. You can view both or either one.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

I saw this link that seems to have some info. 2015 WINTER NAMM
Old 24th January 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ernest Buckley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinBaird View Post
The new 64-bit MX4 synth will be included in DP9.
There are now "lanes" for all automation, in both MIDI and audio tracks, which can be viewed
superimposed over the track, or as separate windows beneath the track.
QuickScribe will now export a Music XML file (great for those Sibelius users).
New "1176" style FET compressor.
New guitar stomp box effects including emulation of Electro Harmonix POG.
New "session comments" sidebar feature, you can enter general comments on each sequence, like "engineered by.." etc.
Mixer looks about the same, pan knobs are much bigger. Overall GUI appearance is about the
same as DP8.
Audio tracks can now display spectrograms as well as waveforms. You can view both or either one.
Thats all sounding good to me. What I would like is an option to enlarge tracks in the main window. You can do it now but it doesn`t make a huge difference. Simple enough?

And of course, if MOTU could somehow eliminate all the mini windows…

I prefer to use REASON for all MIDI. Features in REASON are just easier to access.
Old 24th January 2015
  #5
Posted this on the Music Computers forum:

Just saw the DP9 preview at Namm.

More guitar pedals?

C'mon guys!

Give us a simple "mute midi note" tool.

Last edited by delcosmos; 24th January 2015 at 07:43 AM..
Old 24th January 2015
  #6
Here for the gear
 
mfromwhere's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
I saw this link that seems to have some info. 2015 WINTER NAMM
Translated:

https://translate.googleusercontent....tXzgeM_LZ6xFXg

What DP really needs is analog track inserts so you don't have to waste time creating extra aux tracks.
Old 24th January 2015
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Posted this on the Music Computers forum:

More guitar pedals?

C'mon guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromwhere View Post
Translated:


What DP really needs is analog track inserts so you don't have to waste time creating extra aux tracks.
+1

Is that so difficult to program a hw insert on a channel?
Old 24th January 2015
  #8
Gear Head
 
Rautio's Avatar
 

Really disappointed at MOTU for still not having them. Lack of HW inserts is what got me to move out DP world at around version 6. Went to Logic and from there back to Pro Tools. I did like the workflow with DP though.
Old 24th January 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 
jamwerks's Avatar
 

Logic & Cubase just got VCA faders. Don't see those here, or am I missing something?
Old 24th January 2015
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

LOL at the translation:

"The lover who the hardware sound source is not sincerely love DP I think fine thoughtfulness that went like this."

Now that's helpful!

Looks like a few nice additions to DP, but as someone who's used it off and on (I have DP8), the overall workflow doesn't appeal to me. It's a very capable beast, but no midi note mute, never quite sure where it's going to playback from on the timeline, when you select a track nothing is highlighted. Just doesn't feel right to me. I'm sure for others, it does. Ability to save mixes, chunks with separate movie cues etc are big plusses.
Old 24th January 2015
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Logic & Cubase just got VCA faders. Don't see those here, or am I missing something?
DP's had fader groups for years.
Old 24th January 2015
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
LOL at the translation:

"The lover who the hardware sound source is not sincerely love DP I think fine thoughtfulness that went like this."

Now that's helpful!

Looks like a few nice additions to DP, but as someone who's used it off and on (I have DP8), the overall workflow doesn't appeal to me. It's a very capable beast, but no midi note mute, never quite sure where it's going to playback from on the timeline, when you select a track nothing is highlighted. Just doesn't feel right to me. I'm sure for others, it does. Ability to save mixes, chunks with separate movie cues etc are big plusses.
No problems knowing where it's going to play back here. I'm sure you're meaning something specific, though...more info?
Select a track, the track name is highlighted along with selected time range in track.

MIDI note mute would be handy, though.
Old 24th January 2015
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
No problems knowing where it's going to play back here. I'm sure you're meaning something specific, though...more info?
Select a track, the track name is highlighted along with selected time range in track.

MIDI note mute would be handy, though.
It seems like the only way to get it to playback from the same spot repeatedly is to set up memory locators? Otherwise when you play, stop, then play again it plays from where you stopped. I'm constantly going over the same spot and need playback to start from the last start location. Logic does this by default. In DP I had to always set up the memory locators to get this to work. Maybe I'm wrong? You probably know it better than I do.
As to highlight, both Pro Tools and Logic will highlight the active track in the mixer window to reflect which track(s) are selected in the arrange window (or Main window as it's now called in LPX). In DP as far as I can tell, the mixer doesn't reflect arrange window track selection.
Again I would love to know that these are user errors because I think DP is a monster in many ways. : )
Old 24th January 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
It seems like the only way to get it to playback from the same spot repeatedly is to set up memory locators? Otherwise when you play, stop, then play again it plays from where you stopped. I'm constantly going over the same spot and need playback to start from the last start location. Logic does this by default. In DP I had to always set up the memory locators to get this to work. Maybe I'm wrong? You probably know it better than I do.
As to highlight, both Pro Tools and Logic will highlight the active track in the mixer window to reflect which track(s) are selected in the arrange window (or Main window as it's now called in LPX). In DP as far as I can tell, the mixer doesn't reflect arrange window track selection.
Again I would love to know that these are user errors because I think DP is a monster in many ways. : )
This thread answers your question about the playback location and has some nice extra information: MOTUnation.com • DP Cursor

I don't recall how to link the mixer and sequence window selections (if it's possible). I only have dp6 and I'm not in front of it right now.
Old 24th January 2015
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
This thread answers your question about the playback location and has some nice extra information: MOTUnation.com • DP Cursor

I don't recall how to link the mixer and sequence window selections (if it's possible). I only have dp6 and I'm not in front of it right now.
Thank you - it's as simple as highlighting a region and hitting "Control + Spacebar". I figured there was a way. I know DP has a legendary manual and I've read much of it - I would guess there's probably a way to achieve just about anything. Sometimes their naming of things throws me off a bit.

Thanks again for the tips. Much appreciated.
Old 24th January 2015
  #16
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
DP's had fader groups for years.
Not the same. The first few paragraphs of this article explain the difference. How To Use VCA Groups
Old 24th January 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
Not the same. The first few paragraphs of this article explain the difference. How To Use VCA Groups
Not only that, but fader groups in DP are bugged. The relative values get warped when they are moved past a certain threshold IIRC.
Old 24th January 2015
  #18
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Not only that, but fader groups in DP are bugged. The relative values get warped when they are moved past a certain threshold IIRC.
There is a thread over on Motunation.com discussing issues with the relative values, but I don't remember how that turned out. I do remember that there were those who said they behaved as expected and that it's not a bug. There were equally passionate arguments on the other side also.
Old 24th January 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
There is a thread over on Motunation.com discussing issues with the relative values, but I don't remember how that turned out. I do remember that there were those who said they behaved as expected and that it's not a bug. There were equally passionate arguments on the other side also.
It seems that there's people who don't even understand what the bug is, not that they think it works correctly.

It's pretty clearly a bug since it does not behave as documented or as comparable products with the same intention do.
Old 25th January 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
cinealta's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Phillips View Post
DP's had fader groups for years.
Grouping faders is not the same as VCA. Fader groups have been around since the 80s.
Old 25th January 2015
  #21
Gear Maniac
 
catfishmusic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfromwhere View Post

What DP really needs is analog track inserts so you don't have to waste time creating extra aux tracks.
+1000
Old 25th January 2015
  #22
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks View Post
Logic & Cubase just got VCA faders. Don't see those here, or am I missing something?
Logic's new VCAs are not really VCA's...unlike PT and Cubase, which are...

TH
Old 25th January 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncel View Post
LOL at the translation:

"The lover who the hardware sound source is not sincerely love DP I think fine thoughtfulness that went like this."

Now that's helpful!

Looks like a few nice additions to DP, but as someone who's used it off and on (I have DP8), the overall workflow doesn't appeal to me. It's a very capable beast, but no midi note mute, never quite sure where it's going to playback from on the timeline, when you select a track nothing is highlighted. Just doesn't feel right to me. I'm sure for others, it does. Ability to save mixes, chunks with separate movie cues etc are big plusses.
I had this same problem and sold it.

I couldn't get around locating on it.

Had trouble importing audio into it too. Thought I saw it import, then couldn't find it anywhere lol

Some real workflow problems. Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance.

It does have some GREAT features though.

TH
Old 26th January 2015
  #24
Lives for gear
Any release date info? Been holding off upgrading from 7 to 8 for a LOOOONG time now. Should probably just skip 8 and wait for 9 huh?
Old 26th January 2015
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
catfishmusic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Any release date info? Been holding off upgrading from 7 to 8 for a LOOOONG time now. Should probably just skip 8 and wait for 9 huh?
I'm sure it will be a long while before we see 9.....Motu usually takes several months to release after the announcement.
Old 26th January 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post

Had trouble importing audio into it too. Thought I saw it import, then couldn't find it anywhere lol
Shift-B to open Soundbites window, if it's not there, you didn't import it.
Old 26th January 2015
  #27
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey1 View Post
Shift-B to open Soundbites window, if it's not there, you didn't import it.
Plus there's always a possibility he's importing audio with a timestamp that's not translating right or too far away down the timeline. I've had audio from a three minute song in Pro Tools show up 30 minutes down the timeline .... I think the guy who recorded it hasn't much of a clue about time stamps so I had these parts lost in time when imported.

I should be mentioned that they didn't show all the new features, just the ones that were ready to be shown. Things like MID mute could still be coming...
Old 27th January 2015
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
catfishmusic's Avatar
You can just drag and drop and import audio right onto a track.
Old 27th January 2015
  #29
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Any release date info? Been holding off upgrading from 7 to 8 for a LOOOONG time now. Should probably just skip 8 and wait for 9 huh?
If you're running your computer and plugs in 64 bit I'd definitely jump to DP8- I can't believe how much more powerful it is! I'm running DP8 on Windows 7 with 32 gigs of RAM and I have an orchestral template with over 35 instances of Kontakt plus Omnisphere Battery and Stylus and it's working great. No need for Plogue Bidule or VEP. I'm running everything direct in DP. If you're still in 32 bit mode then DP7 will probably be fine but I agree with the other poster who said it'll be months away before DP9 is released, IMO. The release they were showing at NAMM was pre-beta, from what I heard.
Old 11th February 2015
  #30
Any news?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump