The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good DAW for mixing, not for production?
Old 23rd January 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Good DAW for mixing, not for production?

My DAW for production is Bitwig Studio. But I don't think it's as good for mixing and mastering as Logic. It doesn't support AU and many of my mixing and masterng plugins are from Airwindows which only supports AU and not VST. I have Logic 8 on my old laptop but that's not a 32 bit system so it's incompatible for many of my plugins. What's a good simple DAW for mixing and mastering? I downloaded Reaper and it seems quite unintuitive. I just want a DAW I can load all the audio stems from my track done in Butwig to mix. It should have good audio editing capabilities, routing, and easy to draw automation curves, especially for volume and panning. I don't need a full blown DAW.

If you give a recommendation, please state why rather than just writing "Studio One!!"

Last edited by aligak; 23rd January 2015 at 07:29 PM..
Old 23rd January 2015
  #2
Gear Addict
 
loosejaw's Avatar
 

look at Harrison mix bus, never tried it but its only $39
Old 23rd January 2015
  #3
Gear Nut
 

since you know and used logic 8 buy logic Pro X it has you need to create and polish a song a lot more to offer in one box,
Stay ahead of the game with the Pros
Old 23rd January 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosejaw View Post
look at Harrison mix bus, never tried it but its only $39
Forgot about this. Anyone have much experience with this in a Mac?
Old 23rd January 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamslim11 View Post
since you know and used logic 8 buy logic Pro X it has you need to create and polish a song a lot more to offer in one box,
Stay ahead of the game with the Pros
Spent $200 on Logic 8 Express back in 2008, then upgraded to Logic 8 Pro for an extra $300 a year later. It was buggy. Then I spent another $200 on Logic 9 which didn't seem all that different. I think I'm done with Logic. It seems like bloat-ware for my needs and I don't want to spend another $200.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #6
Lives for gear
 
cinealta's Avatar
 

Logic Pro X. $199. Done. Powerful and efficient for mixing. Great plugins (compressor, reverb, delay etc). VCA groups.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
Spent $200 on Logic 8 Express back in 2008, then upgraded to Logic 8 Pro for an extra $300 a year later. It was buggy. Then I spent another $200 on Logic 9 which didn't seem all that different. I think I'm done with Logic. It seems like bloat-ware for my needs and I don't want to spend another $200.
May be its system related but Logic pro is not that buddy, i never run into any hiccups that make me not produce music nope...Make sure your system is well optimized,many hits were done on ver 9 come on man
Old 23rd January 2015
  #8
Lives for gear
Studio one is the tool of choice for me dor mixing. Srop and drag from anywhere to anywhere. So easy to learn. The harrison mixbus didnt do it for me.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #9
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
Studio one is the tool of choice for me for mixing. drop and drag from anywhere to anywhere. So easy to learn. The harrison mixbus didnt do it for me.
Same here
Old 23rd January 2015
  #10
Gear Maniac
 
AndrasFL's Avatar
 

How about studio one?
Look at the video and see how it works for mixing and mastering
Studio One tutorial: Making changes to your original mix during masterin...: http://youtu.be/XoN50JFpLok
Old 23rd January 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamslim11 View Post
May be its system related but Logic pro is not that buddy, i never run into any hiccups that make me not produce music nope...Make sure your system is well optimized,many hits were done on ver 9 come on man
It worked well overall but sometimes crashed. I just don't need all the instruments, features, and sound packs. I wish there was a light versio because I do like workflow of Logic and the new interface looks quite nice compared to the uninspiring iTunes look of Logic 8 and 9.
Old 23rd January 2015
  #12
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
I was seriously hoping Reaper would be easy to work with. There's also Traktion 5 and Pro Tool 12 Free. Notice, I'm trying to stick to the budget ones. If Logic was to be my main DAW, I'd spend $200, but Bitwig is now my main DAW.
Old 24th January 2015
  #13
Deleted #297939
Guest
I am waiting for Studio One Pro v3 to be released (which I think will be an awesome DAW).

Studio One should fit you very fine for what you described. Great Audio DAW IMHO
Old 24th January 2015
  #14
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBM View Post
I am waiting for Studio One Pro v3 to be released (which I think will be an awesome DAW).

Studio One should fit you very fine for what you described. Great Audio DAW IMHO
The only version that accepts 3rd party plugins and is 64 bit is the Pro version which costs $400. I'll have to pass.
Old 24th January 2015
  #15
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
The only version that accepts 3rd party plugins and is 64 bit is the Pro version which costs $400. I'll have to pass.
So you want a full blown 64 bit mixing app for $5, I get it. MixBus is only 32 bit BTW as well. I think your left with Reaper

Logic is a steal at $199

Protools 12 First http://www.avid.com/US/products/pro-...mparison-table

Last edited by Deleted User; 24th January 2015 at 02:18 AM..
Old 24th January 2015
  #16
Lives for gear
 
bugscoe's Avatar
 

I've been mixing in Logic 9.1.8 and have no real complaints. Just works well for me!
Old 24th January 2015
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugscoe View Post
I've been mixing in Logic 9.1.8 and have no real complaints. Just works well for me!
You're missing out, Logic 10.1 just dropped its definitely time to check it out.
Old 24th January 2015
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
The only version that accepts 3rd party plugins and is 64 bit is the Pro version which costs $400. I'll have to pass.
Gearslutz is as bad as KVR when it comes to product misinformation. All versions of S1 are 64-bit. Only the pro version does double precision dsp, a different thing entirely and Pro is not the "only" version that accepts third party plugins, Producer does also.

Last edited by Lawrence; 24th January 2015 at 03:43 AM..
Old 24th January 2015
  #19
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Gearslutz is as bad as KVR when it comes to product misinformation. All versions of S1 are 64-bit. Only the pro version does double precision dsp, a different thing entirely and Pro is not the "only" version that accepts third party plugins, Producer does also.
Am I understanding this the wrong way? This is from the Studio One website:

Old 24th January 2015
  #20
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Based on my options and the how much I'd have to pay to get what I'm asking for, I think I'd be better off just learning to mix and master within Bitwig Studio.
Old 24th January 2015
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
Am I understanding this the wrong way? This is from the Studio One website:

Instead of just glancing at everything on the left AND just quickly looking down the columns and seeing 32-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit, 64-bit...

you'll notice, if you read the left columns (just to the left of all the "32-bits", etc.)
it says Audio Processing Resolution...

This is from Studio One site's FAQ's... specifically the one labeled "Under the Hood"..

" Q. I’m confused about the 64-bit stuff. Is the audio 64-bit or is the application itself 64-bit or both?

A. All three versions of Studio One employ 64-bit memory addressing; that is, they can be run as a 64-bit application in Windows and Mac OS X (10.6 or later), which allows you to break the 4 GB RAM limitation of 32-bit programs. As a result, as explained in Mix magazine (“When I’m Sixty-Four [Bit]” by Ron Franklin, October 2005), “large data sets (tracks, plug-ins, samples, etc.) can be loaded entirely into memory, reducing the need for slower disk access. In addition, increased bus and I/O bandwidth allow for faster and wider data throughput. Simply put, you can do a lot more and do it faster than ever before.”
Combined with a multiprocessing engine that ensures CPU loads are well balanced across all available cores, this ability to address large amounts of RAM enables you to run more tracks and more plug-in instances at once without bogging down your computer.
Studio One Professional is not only capable of taking full advantage of today’s 64-bit Macs and PCs as a 64-bit application; it also offers end-to-end 64-bit process precision across the entire audio signal path, providing much greater summing accuracy than with 32-bit process precision. It automatically switches between 32-bit and 64-bit floating-point processing on the fly (even with a 32-bit OS), ensuring the highest quality audio at all times. Studio One Artist and Producer employ the same audio engine but only operate in 32-bit mode.
"

so Studio One IS an affordable solution for your situation. : )
Old 24th January 2015
  #22
FNM
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
My DAW for production is Bitwig Studio. But I don't think it's as good for mixing and mastering as Logic. It doesn't support AU and many of my mixing and masterng plugins are from Airwindows which only supports AU and not VST. I have Logic 8 on my old laptop but that's not a 32 bit system so it's incompatible for many of my plugins. What's a good simple DAW for mixing and mastering? I downloaded Reaper and it seems quite unintuitive. I just want a DAW I can load all the audio stems from my track done in Butwig to mix. It should have good audio editing capabilities, routing, and easy to draw automation curves, especially for volume and panning. I don't need a full blown DAW.

If you give a recommendation, please state why rather than just writing "Studio One!!"
The use of a DAW (in a general sense) is recording, mixing, and mastering. What part of production are you doing in Bitwig? Production is a really vague term to me. You say you want a mixing program so you can export to Bitwig and mix? I take it you mean edit and effect in one daw and then levels in Bitwig then back to other daw for mastering, but that seems like an odd way to do it.

Also, it seems like all my VST also have AU versions. What do you have thats not working? That being said, I think tracktion is always a great low cost option, just keep in mind you can customize the GUI.
Old 24th January 2015
  #23
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
Am I understanding this the wrong way? This is from the Studio One website:
Yes you are understanding that wrong. That's what happens when people give 'facts' about things they actually don't use.

If you actually had ever owned S1 you'd already know better, without even looking at that chart.

Not saying it's a better mix platform than anything else (the topic, make up your own mind about that), only saying that websites like this have a long history of people giving 'facts' about things they clearly don't even actually use and don't even know how they work. Anyone who owns S1 will see the x86 & x64 versions in their user account.

Such is the net, misinformation abounds. I should also note that the same chart you point to says that Producer allows third party plugs but you claimed it didn't, that you have to buy Pro to use 3rd party plugs?

That's why, reading here, I only mostly listen to people here who I know actually use certain products, like Classictunz or Shanabit with Cubase, because there are legions of other people spouting nonsense who actually don't and have no idea what they're talking about.

On the subject matter, I think any of the usual suspects would fit the bill for mixing. Cubase, Logic, S1, whatever. If you can't get a good mix in one of those it's not the software's fault.

Last edited by Lawrence; 24th January 2015 at 04:50 PM..
Old 24th January 2015
  #24
Gear Addict
 

Logic or Cubase offers the most efficient production workflow but I still think Pro Tools is unrivaled when it comes to editing and mixing. The workflow is unbelievably fast for me anyways...
Old 24th January 2015
  #25
Deleted #297939
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
The only version that accepts 3rd party plugins and is 64 bit is the Pro version which costs $400. I'll have to pass.
The Studio One Producer supports 3rd party Vst plugins. It is a 64 bit app, but uses a 32 bit audio-processing engine (just like Cubase and Nuendo)

All versions of Studio One have 64-bit installers. Even the Free version.

It is a big difference between internal 64 bit audio-processing and a 64 bit app.

Only the Pro version have a 64 bit internal audio-processing engine.
But as said, Cubase uses "only" a 32 bit internal audio engine, so the Studio One Producer version should be perfectly fine.

How much is the Producer version going for?
Old 24th January 2015
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBM View Post
How much is the Producer version going for?
You can get it now for about $120. $20 for Artist and the $99 upgrade.

Quote:
It is a big difference between internal 64 bit audio-processing and a 64 bit app.
Right. It quite literally says "audio processing resolution" right on the bullet point... and it's also the case that the 32-bit version of Pro can also do 64-bit audio processing, even in a 32-bit OS, switch to double precision dsp.
Old 24th January 2015
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

@ Lawrence:



I know you are not referring to me in relation to providing misinformation...

I clearly "set him straight" on his quickness to dismiss S1 as only being a 32-bit "app"...


especially with the actual FAQ from company website that would "school him" on his lack of understanding on that specific point...

so I don't even know why anyone is even saying anything else in terms of making OP realize S1 will work for his situation... it's as if no one saw my post.

(Of course, OP obviously still needed to be "straightened out" in relation to his erroneous assertion regarding 3rd parties not being supported in S1)
Old 24th January 2015
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Yeah. I wasn't directing that to anyone in particular.

It's just the case that there's so much misinformation about products on forums like these, all of these great products really. Anyone looking for really accurate information about Cubase, S1, Logic, or anything else has to sift through a relative cornucopia of ... nonsense.

This place would be much more useful in general if people only spoke about things they actually personally know about or actually use. I only notice all the various misinformation about S1 because I do use it. I think it's true for every product though.

Certainly true with Cubase also ... seeing things stated as fact about it and thinking... huh?

That's just the net. There is no truth filter and finding factual information on an open forum is often a challenge. It doesn't help that some are so quick to form opinions about things without even really reading up on it first.

In that regard, unless one has a good data filter, forums like this are really of minimal value.

Last edited by Lawrence; 24th January 2015 at 07:17 PM..
Old 24th January 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
Studio one is the tool of choice for me dor mixing. Srop and drag from anywhere to anywhere. So easy to learn. The harrison mixbus didnt do it for me.
Even though I hate the production workflow in Studio One, the mixing workflow is pretty good.

Mixbus also doesn't work properly for me, with a very sluggish GUI.

So that's a +1 from me.
Old 24th January 2015
  #30
Lives for gear
 
aligak's Avatar
Thanks for schooling me. I honestly had no idea there was a difference when talking about 32 bit or 64 bit - didn't know there was a separate consideration in terms of app vs internal processing.

That being said, due to overwhelming support for Studio One, I'll try out the free version and Pro Tools 12 First (free) to get a feel for the workflow and see which one I gel with better then upgrade to a higher version if or when needed.

Last edited by aligak; 24th January 2015 at 10:10 PM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump