The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Good DAW for mixing, not for production?
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah, Studio One's good stuff for mixing and mastering. Not fond of arrangement/composition with it, but...mixing and mastering I really like it.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

What is wrong with Reaper? After years working in Cubase i find Reaper the most simple and logically organised DAW, it is very easy to work in Reaper. Do you ever read manuals to get some basic principles of certain DAW? They're all a little different in user experience, but so far i never found anything so nice as Reaper. Even if i forgot location of some function, menu item, i can always use some sort of "function search", like spotlight in OS X.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
What is wrong with Reaper?
This question has the power to destroy this thread.

For mixing, Reaper is pretty decent in my experience though. I absolutely despise the software in general (and I've listed my reasons thoroughly in other threads), but just for mixing it's fine.

The only issue I personally have with Reaper (using the imperial theme) for mixing is that the plugin dialog is annoying to use and unnecessary extra clicks.
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
This question has the power to destroy this thread.

For mixing, Reaper is pretty decent in my experience though. I absolutely despise the software in general (and I've listed my reasons thoroughly in other threads), but just for mixing it's fine.

The only issue I personally have with Reaper (using the imperial theme) for mixing is that the plugin dialog is annoying to use and unnecessary extra clicks.
Two different people from two different St.Petersburgs can't be wrong! ))))
Old 24th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Two different people from two different St.Petersburgs can't be wrong! ))))

Having even thought about it more... for the $$, Reaper is definitely the better recommendation for mixing.

I can't believe I'm publicly suggesting Reaper... it hurts me so much.
Old 25th January 2015
Deleted #297939
Quote:
Plugin you can just drag'n'drop right on the mixer? Straight from the Plugin window (which you can open with a key command, or dock in the main window)?

You can even make your own favorites folders, and just drag'n'copy the plugins you want to what ever favorite folder you will.

I am mainly a Cubase/Nuendo user, but Reaper has impressed me (mostly for mixing so far, but...) a lot.

The Imperial theme is in my opinion to fiddly. Try Commala 4 Basic/full, or RADO v4 Basic.

Too many people not knowing Reaper are shouting way to loud about what it can or cannot do.
And as in most DAW's, there are many ways to skin a cat.

The drag'n'drop routing alone is a really great feature, or you can use their good Routing Matrix.
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Maniac

@ Lawrence:

all good...

Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBM View Post
Plugin you can just drag'n'drop right on the mixer? Straight from the Plugin window (which you can open with a key command, or dock in the main window)?

You can even make your own favorites folders, and just drag'n'copy the plugins you want to what ever favorite folder you will.

I am mainly a Cubase/Nuendo user, but Reaper has impressed me (mostly for mixing so far, but...) a lot.

The Imperial theme is in my opinion to fiddly. Try Commala 4 Basic/full, or RADO v4 Basic.

Too many people not knowing Reaper are shouting way to loud about what it can or cannot do.
And as in most DAW's, there are many ways to skin a cat.

The drag'n'drop routing alone is a really great feature, or you can use their good Routing Matrix.
I suspect that this 'plugin window' is the same dialog that I was complaining about. That doesn't change anything, since it's that window (and navigating it) that I find so annoying.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

I docked this window side-to-side with mixer window. And i extensively use search, not only for actions but for plugins too, although they're all organised and renamed as i like.

Customisation is a great thing to get the best workflow and it is on top in Reaper. I have a lot of custom shortcuts too, not to mention i have almost full control over mixer and plugins via OSC on iPad Lemur...
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Actually for what you are looking for, Reaper is solid.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I suspect that this 'plugin window' is the same dialog that I was complaining about. That doesn't change anything, since it's that window (and navigating it) that I find so annoying.
I want to point out that I was incorrect about the plugin dialog being an annoyance, since you can just avoid it entirely.

This post here explains it nicely https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10756788-post92.html

The only annoying thing is how many times I've brought up how annoying the dialog is, and no one has ever corrected me (but plenty people have agreed!).
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

For a modern DAW I suggest Reaper or Studio One for mixing, I prefer S1 and it's speed with drag and drop but I do use Reaper from time to time, both end with great results.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Logic Pro X. $199. Done. Powerful and efficient for mixing. Great plugins (compressor, reverb, delay etc). VCA groups.
Be careful on that last feature, as I've come to discover Logic doesn't have real VCA groups at all. VCA by name but not by nature it appears to be nothing more than a marketing thing because Cubase Pro 8 got actuall real console emulated VCA groups.

However I think in a future update Apple will fix their erroneous behavior.

Other than that of course Logic is a good platform to mix on if not the most elegant.
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Be careful on that last feature, as I've come to discover Logic doesn't have real VCA groups at all. VCA by name but not by nature it appears to be nothing more than a marketing thing because Cubase Pro 8 got actuall real console emulated VCA groups.

However I think in a future update Apple will fix their erroneous behavior.

Other than that of course Logic is a good platform to mix on if not the most elegant.
Care to elaborate about how they fail?
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Care to elaborate about how they fail?
I've yet to download the update (my main DAW) is CP8 but I was informed in the Logic thread that the so called "VCA's" change the pre fader pre send levels!

So it's more like a "linked mixer trim" than a VCA and appears to miss the whole point of VCA's allowing linked fader level changes without destroying FX mixes. I presume it's not pre insert as well .... that would be just plain stoopid!
Old 25th January 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I've yet to download the update (my main DAW) is CP8 but I was informed in the Logic thread that the so called "VCA's" change the pre fader pre send levels!

So it's more like a "linked mixer trim" than a VCA and appears to miss the whole point of VCA's allowing linked fader level changes without destroying FX mixes. I presume it's not pre insert as well .... that would be just plain stoopid!
Ooops. That might not hamper the way I would use it though. Cheers.
Old 26th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligak View Post
Forgot about this. Anyone have much experience with this in a Mac?
It's sort of a emulation of a Harrison console, it uses the open source Ardour DAW, as a foundation, that's how they get the low price point.

Supports AU, and has it's own format for their own plugs.

You can get a great sound from the built in effects in the console.

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search