The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apollo Quad Question
Old 20th January 2015
Here for the gear

Apollo Quad Question

Hi all,

I am in need of a system upgrade, as I have been using Pro Tools 8 LE with a Digi 003. The 003 has served it's purpose, but it recently gave out on me, and I'd rather invest my money on better converters rather than trying to repair the unit. Im contemplating upgrading to the UA Apollo Quad, as well as the latest version of Pro Tools. I've got two major questions:

1) I am using a 2008 Mac Book Pro that does not have Thunderbolt capabilities. I'm aware that Im going to have to upgrade my computer in the near future, but the converters/new Pro Tools set up takes priority and finances dictate that I'll have to do this in phases. Will I be able to use the Apollo with my current computer?

2) Although I do other types of production, I am primarily a horn player (saxophones, flute, clarinet, bass clarinet) and do a lot of remote sessions from my studio. I often times record multiple horns at one in a section. I love the sound of UA gear, and have been happy with the results of the Apollo during sessions at other studios. I know one of the big benefits of the Apollo are the plug-ins that come with the unit. But sound-wise, is this one of the better units on the market in the 2-3k price range? A friend recently purchased a Lynks two-channel converter that sounds spectacular. But it's only two channels, and I like the fact that the Apollo would allow me to record a three-piece section live.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Addict
I just got one, and I really love it.

The Thunderbolt was an optional extra on mine. I believe they all have FireWire connections too... You Mac Book should have that (if I remember correctly).
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornman View Post

1) Will I be able to use the Apollo with my current computer?
Firewire works well with the Apollo but to enjoy the full capabilities and intention it is optimal to use Thunderbolt.

Quote:

2) sound-wise, is this one of the better units on the market in the 2-3k price range?

There is no reason you can not record and release great sounding product using Apollo. Many do already. Go to the UAD website and read the interviews!
Old 20th January 2015
Lives for gear

I have a 2008 Mac Pro. My firewire chip did not work well with Apollo. I bought a recommended firewire card and all is well. Not sure what your options are on a MacBook, but there is info on the UA site about firewire compatibility and different mac models. You might want to look that up before buying. That said I really like the Apollo. I just had BLA mod it and am pretty sure it would be a step up from a stock 003.
L.
Old 24th January 2015
Here for the gear

Software/OS Issues

Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback...

So I just ordered the Apollo Quad and will be able to pick the unit up on Tuesday. Im really excited about using digging into it. I realize now, however, that the UA website lists the system requirements as Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion or 10.9.x Mavericks. My MacBook Pro is almost six years old, and I just upgraded the OS to 10.6.8 in order to sync with the new iPhone. From everything that I've heard and read, it's not a good idea to upgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks on a computer this old.

My questions are:

1) Will I be able to use the Apollo software with my current configuration? Im assuming not since Im on 10.6.8, but I figure it's worth asking anyway.

2) Is it worth looking into upgrading the OS on a six year old computer, or will I be maximizing the Apollo more so by simply getting a new computer that has thunderbolt capabilities?

Thanks again
Old 25th January 2015
Quote:

So I just ordered the Apollo Quad and will be able to pick the unit up on Tuesday. Im really excited about using digging into it. I realize now, however, that the UA website lists the system requirements as Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion or 10.9.x Mavericks. My MacBook Pro is almost six years old, and I just upgraded the OS to 10.6.8 in order to sync with the new iPhone. From everything that I've heard and read, it's not a good idea to upgrade to Mountain Lion or Mavericks on a computer this old.

My questions are:

1) Will I be able to use the Apollo software with my current configuration? Im assuming not since Im on 10.6.8, but I figure it's worth asking anyway.

2) Is it worth looking into upgrading the OS on a six year old computer, or will I be maximizing the Apollo more so by simply getting a new computer that has thunderbolt capabilities?

Thanks again
Probably not what you want to hear but I usually draw the line at 6 years on a computer. A new rig with more RAM is really going to help your work. I'm using an Apollo Quad w a 2 year old iMac and the performance blows me away.
Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks again
Even though they state that as a requirement, some users have success with older versions of OSX.
The installer runs and the drivers work.

Check out the UAD forums for details.

Using TB will allow you to have a few more instances of plugins, that FW bandwidth limits.

Old 25th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

My questions are:

Thanks again
So my Mac Pro is going on 7 years. I have Mountain Lion on one partition, Mavericks on the other. I run my UAD stuff on the ML partition mostly. No issues. The latest UAD software might work with Snow Leopard, but if not I wouldn't worry about going to Mountain Lion. And it doesn't really matter how old your computer is. If it does what you need it to do, then it's fine. If not, it might be time for a new machine. For me my 2008 Mac Pro is doing fine. I expect it will get me through 2015.
L.
L.
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear

My brand new Apollo Quad (with Thunderbolt card) is four months old and already needs to be sent back for warranty repairs. The rep told me it will take a full month to get it fixed. I can't say I'd recommend this interface. :(
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanumanchalisa View Post
My brand new Apollo Quad (with Thunderbolt card) is four months old and already needs to be sent back for warranty repairs. The rep told me it will take a full month to get it fixed. I can't say I'd recommend this interface. :(
Just bad luck, I've used mine since 2013 with no problems.

Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanumanchalisa View Post
I've owned a lot of ua stuff including apollo. Once in awhile you get a bad one. Send it in and I'm sure they will take care of you.
L.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search