The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MP3's making crackling noise
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

MP3's making crackling noise

Hey guys, I've recently started to go back and get* some of my favourite albums from high school (10+ years ago) that I originally ripped in 128kbps to 320kbps, as that seems like the sweet sport for quality/file size/compatibility to me (and honestly, I can't hear a difference between that and FLAC in my setup), and I've run into a slightly annoying issue. A lot of songs seem to have this crackling noise throughout them, not unlike what you'd get with vinyl but crisper. Kind of like wood in a fire even. It's not unpleasant, but not meant to be there either. I don't think it's clipping as it's most noticeable in quiet parts of songs.

Any ideas what this could be? It's present in both MusicBee and VLC Player on my PC, but NOT in iTunes on my Mac, which is interesting. I don't have iTunes on my PC and don't really want it either, so thought I'd try here for a solution quickly before installing that rubbish bit of software! Thanks!

*Full disclosure, I have been getting these albums from some un-reputable sources! They are all albums I have bought copies of on CD at my parents house though, so I feel okay about it.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Just installed iTunes, still doing it on my PC. I doubt it's a hardware issue as this is a pretty powerful machine I built myself with a Scarlett 18i20 for audio and the other one is just a MacBook Air..
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

It's happening in Vimeo now too, it's not my monitors (HS8's) as I'm also noticing it through headphones (AKG240mkII's). Interestingly, I just tried my Logitech's (z5500's I think) which are plugged into the motherboard audio (I use them on my TV, through the computer) and the crackling is not present. Soundcard issue??
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Last post for a bit I promise, but I just tried the Focusrite through the MacBook and that worked perfectly. Windows driver issue!
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Re-installed drivers, didn't help. I'm at a loss.
Old 20th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Upping the sample rate from 44100 to 96k seems to make it a lot worse, if that makes any sense to anyone?
Old 22nd January 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi flybeereligion,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have encountered with the Scarlett 18i20. If possible can you please run the Scarlett 18i20 in Class Compliant Mode: Using a Scarlett Interface on OS X 10.9 Mavericks | Focusrite

It is also possible that the Mac needs to be optimized for audio. You can find the steps on the following link: Optimising your Mac for Audio | Focusrite

If the issue still persists please reach out to us so that we are able to assist you further: Contact | Focusrite

All the best.
Old 27th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Issue solved thanks to Focusrite support! Turns out after moving my computer a couple of weeks ago I'd somehow managed to plug it into a USB3 port rather than USB2. Weird since my Mac only has USB3 and that works fine but there you go.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search