The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking about getting the Mac Pro (Can) 12 Core... Desktop Synthesizers
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thinking about getting the Mac Pro (Can) 12 Core...

I currently have a (2010) 3.33 GHz, 6 Core Mac Pro. Composing orchestral music, I tend to use quite a few VI's. The MP 12 core is rated at 2.7 GHz. The 8 core is rated at 3.0 GHz.

Coming from a 6 core MP, am I better of getting the 8 (more speed/less power) or 12 core (more power/less speed)MP?

I'm currently using Cubase Pro 8.

Thanks!
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

0.3 GHz difference is not big, but more cores makes a difference.
Old 18th January 2015
The 8 core offers slightly more low latency headroom, but overall has less power when your projects are huge.
IMO the 12 core is way too expensive for what it offers.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Why not add another 3.33 6-core cMP and network with VEP 5?

If that's not an option, depending on what DAW you use the 8-core nMP may have all the available threads (16) your DAW can utilize and turbo boost to the same speed as the 12-core. I'm not sure so check the tech specs page on the Mac Pro website to verify.
Old 18th January 2015
Both Macs and PC's turbo to the lowest turbo speed when using DAWs. This means the 8-core will run @ 3.4GHz while the 12-core will run @ 3GHz.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Why not add another 3.33 6-core cMP and network with VEP 5?

If that's not an option, depending on what DAW you use the 8-core nMP may have all the available threads (16) your DAW can utilize and turbo boost to the same speed as the 12-core. I'm not sure so check the tech specs page on the Mac Pro website to verify.
I already had a 2 Mac system with VEPro on the slave. I'm really looking to upgrade to the nMP. I'll be using Cubase and from what I understand, it uses all cores available. I was wondering whether to get the 8 or 12 core.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Landon View Post
I'll be using Cubase and from what I understand, it uses all cores available. I was wondering whether to get the 8 or 12 core.
If Cubase can use 24 threads then get the 12-core. The 8-core will turbo 13% faster but the 12-core will have 4 additional cores which Cubase could utilize.
Old 18th January 2015
Cubase can use 32 threads.
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Head

yes - it is a great investment.

anyway, if you get the 8 core model... you will see no difference compared to your current machine.

if you get the 12 core you will see close to 2x.

it does not worth the money but if you want apple - that is the only way.

Quote:
I currently have a (2010) 3.33 GHz, 6 Core Mac Pro. Composing orchestral music, I tend to use quite a few VI's. The MP 12 core is rated at 2.7 GHz. The 8 core is rated at 3.0 GHz.

Coming from a 6 core MP, am I better of getting the 8 (more speed/less power) or 12 core (more power/less speed)MP?

Thanks!
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

I have both a 8 core and 12 core, i got the 12 core after i tested with the 8 core. Things I changed when I moved to the 12 core is went from 32 gig to 64, and d500 to d700. (on the d700 - Initially no one was supporting OpenCL but I have more and more things supporting that now, and it's a hassle to upgrade the video card)
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks!
OWC offer a 3.3GHz 8 Core or a 3.0GHz 10 Core installed for an extra $2,396 on top of the basic quad core. That's saving well over $1,000 if you bought the 12 core from Apple.
Or you could still get the 12 core from OWC and still save a lot of money.

Last edited by bs44; 18th January 2015 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: Wrong quote
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I have both a 8 core and 12 core, i got the 12 core after i tested with the 8 core. Things I changed when I moved to the 12 core is went from 32 gig to 64, and d500 to d700. (on the d700 - Initially no one was supporting OpenCL but I have more and more things supporting that now, and it's a hassle to upgrade the video card)
PatrickFaith, is there any reason I would need the D500 or D700? I imagine the D300 is enough for Cubase and syncing music to video? I'm not doing any video editing.

What would be the benefit of getting say the D500?
Old 18th January 2015
You know when a computer is overpriced..when it cost the same as a new car!
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs44 View Post
OWC offer a 3.3GHz 8 Core or a 3.0GHz 10 Core installed for an extra $2,396 on top of the basic quad core. That's saving well over $1,000 if you bought the 12 core from Apple.
Or you could still get the 12 core from OWC and still save a lot of money.
Thanks, but I'm looking to get the nMP, and your link takes me to Sears.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
Apple has 'always' been more expensive than the competition, but I wouldn't want to use anything else. Money is not a problem, but I wanna make sure I'm getting the right nMP.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

I would also check out the RAM specs, if you run a faster system with a slower RAM bus, things even out.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
I would also check out the RAM specs, if you run a faster system with a slower RAM bus, things even out.
I don't understand. I'm planning on 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, but I'm looking to get the nMP, and your link takes me to Sears.
Maybe because it's early on a Monday morning, but I don't understand your lingo ?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs44 View Post
Maybe because it's early on a Monday morning, but I don't understand your lingo ?
Sears is an appliance, clothing, stuff store. They don't sell Macs or have anything to do with Macs. The link you provided in your post directs me to Sears.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sears is an appliance, clothing, stuff store. They don't sell Macs or have anything to do with Macs. The link you provided in your post directs me to Sears.
Weird!!! I didn't even post a link lol... Maybe you clicked an advertisment?

Anyway here is the turnkey upgrade link:
OWC Processor Upgrade Program options for Apple Mac Pro 2013
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Is it weird. The 3.3GHz 8 is underlined which indicates a link. I thought if Sears is selling Mac's, Apple is in serious trouble.

Thanks for the link.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Money is not a problem, but I wanna make sure I'm getting the right nMP.
Dean get the 12-core nMP with at least a 500 Gb PCIe-SSD. Add 64 Gb RAM. Get at least the D500 GPUs if for nothing else than resale value. Audio guys are still stuck on VEP 5 slaves. Someday you may want to sell and upgrade to the current year nMP. You will be selling to video guys. They won't even look at a machine with D300 GPUs.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinealta View Post
Dean get the 12-core nMP with at least a 500 Gb PCIe-SSD. Add 64 Gb RAM. Get at least the D500 GPUs if for nothing else than resale value. Audio guys are still stuck on VEP 5 slaves. Someday you may want to sell and upgrade to the current year nMP. You will be selling to video guys. They won't even look at a machine with D300 GPUs.
Yes, great point, resale value, and I am planning on the 500 SSD too. thx
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
PatrickFaith, is there any reason I would need the D500 or D700? I imagine the D300 is enough for Cubase and syncing music to video? I'm not doing any video editing.

What would be the benefit of getting say the D500?
I think eventually simulations of instruments will be in OpenCL, my guess is mid 2016. Wouldn't be that horrible to do reverb in OpenCL, but i haven't seen anyone bite the bullet for that. So is more of a future proofing, if you plan on keeping it for 3 years. I don't use my computers purely for music, so is nice to have OpenCL for image processing things like nuke/maya/houdini (which it looks you don't use).

For what your saying, i actually think the d300 might be faster then the d500(d300 is cheaper too). (d500 is better for OpenCL, d300 is good for gaming, d700 future proofs your system).
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Head

No - a computer is overpriced when with the same amount of money you could get a Dell Dual Xeon workstation or even this DAW Plus guy's computers to give some help to peripheral guys.

the mac pro is NOT designed for music production. sad but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickFaith View Post
I think eventually simulations of instruments will be in OpenCL, my guess is mid 2016. Wouldn't be that horrible to do reverb in OpenCL, but i haven't seen anyone bite the bullet for that. So is more of a future proofing, if you plan on keeping it for 3 years. I don't use my computers purely for music, so is nice to have OpenCL for image processing things like nuke/maya/houdini (which it looks you don't use).

For what your saying, i actually think the d300 might be faster then the d500(d300 is cheaper too). (d500 is better for OpenCL, d300 is good for gaming, d700 future proofs your system).

I don't use any of the programs you mentioned. So if getting the D500 is good for resale value (big plus), if I don't need it cause I'm not using the power the D500 is offering, am I better of just getting the D300?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastalapasta View Post
No - a computer is overpriced when with the same amount of money you could get a Dell Dual Xeon workstation or even this DAW Plus guy's computers to give some help to peripheral guys.

the mac pro is NOT designed for music production. sad but true.
I disagree with this. The Mac Pro is totally designed for music production. I've never had any issue's using a Mac since 1987.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

I just bought an upgraded 2009 Mac Pro Tower off of a seller on ebay. 12 core 3.46 with 24 gb of ram. It was hella cheap (like $2600 or something). Benchmarks within inches of the new 12 core Mac Pros.

You can upgrade your machine with said processors as well. Worth a look.

Either way, don't worry about processor speed when comparing the newest greatest intel processor vs what you have in your old machine. 1 core performance will still be faster with the new machine. But seriously, look into upgrading your machine or buying an upgraded 2009-2012 Mac Pro. Mine is just unreal fast.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagree with this. The Mac Pro is totally designed for music production. I've never had any issue's using a Mac since 1987.
I could be wrong on this but the first gen of these Mac Pro's.. I think the high end iMacs were faster for audio work... and if you spec-ed out the computer for sorta higher end video / VFX kinda stuff it was actually quite good value... so folks thinking of it as more of a video computer is probably from that?

Ok.. on this OpenCL... just for sorta clarification... my understanding was that architecturally... OpenCL didn't look like it would be real good for most real time audio stuff.. outside of like convolution? Is it turning out at OpenCL has more audio related value then initially appreciated?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I just bought an upgraded 2009 Mac Pro Tower off of a seller on ebay. 12 core 3.46 with 24 gb of ram. It was hella cheap (like $2600 or something). Benchmarks within inches of the new 12 core Mac Pros.

You can upgrade your machine with said processors as well. Worth a look.

Either way, don't worry about processor speed when comparing the newest greatest intel processor vs what you have in your old machine. 1 core performance will still be faster with the new machine. But seriously, look into upgrading your machine or buying an upgraded 2009-2012 Mac Pro. Mine is just unreal fast.
I was planning on taking that route, but decided to go with the new and improved. I initially had a (2) MP system. That worked for a while, but taking care of 2 MP is a real PITA. I had my slew of problems. So I decided to do everything on my 3.33 MP - 6 core, but I need more power, etc... I also want the Thunderbolt technology, upgraded Ram and 4k capabilities. I'm not interested in a PC or updating my current MP, so this is really the only solution.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search