The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I will give you $20 to design my computer!!
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
renopowers, after looking at your revised list here are my impressions . . .

Since you have a Microcenter nearby make the trip as you will save $70 buying the 4790K there (it's $250 instore price). While there see if they have your selected motherboard in stock and ask for a combo deal from the salesman since you are buying a CPU off of them as they may give you an additional $40 - $50 off the motherboard too.

Unless you are getting some special DVD burner, while you are at Microcenter you can pick up a SATA DVD/CD burner for under $25 (they will likely have at least a couple inexpensive choices which will be fine for your needs).

The $200 you have listed for a power supply is way too much, your budget should be in the $100 range for a top of the line power supply putting out 650 to 750 watts (for your rig you could probably get by with a 500 watt supply in practice). Again Newegg will run sales for top rated supplies in that $100 range.

As stated above you don't need a separate video card as the built in graphics work great, remember for audio work you are only using 2D graphics so you can keep that money in your pocket. If you were a gamer runing 3D graphics it would be a different story.

He should not need a power supply over 350watts! It's a (DAW) not a Water Cooled hyper beast running 4k 60 hz with 2 970's SLI OC while streaming twitch and watching YouTube.
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

For those who want to compare one CPU against another . . .

Some of the Pro DAW builders have generously posted their DAWbench results here in old threads about specific CPU's (both at stock speed and overclocked). DAWbench is the ONLY benchmark that applies to our specific computer use and will give meaningful apples to apples figures for a true comparison.

One thing to look for however is there are old DAWbench suite numbers and new DAWbench suite numbers (needed because of the improvements in the newer CPU's) so be careful with how you read them.
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

Popa2caps, I agree that many go overboard with the power supply wattage. I run a 500 watt PS with a 3770K based DAW pushed hard without problems. He is just more likely to catch a sale for one of the top rated models (Seasonic) in the 650 or 750 watt range within the near future (around $100, $80 if he catches a good sale). Having too much power with a good unit is just a good practice many employ as that unit will still only crank out what he needs but presumably have the extra build quality / reserve for peace of mind. The end goal is to just get a great unit for not much money.
Old 9th January 2015
Lives for gear

also higher watt psus have larger fans which allow for quieter operation. Noise is a big deal with DAWS a good quality low self noise mics somewhere in the <20db range will pick up a lot of room noise that's another reason I just went with a simple low noise dell. can't hear the thing when it's on at basic mix volumes. 75 -85db

things are not like they use to be where building your system would be 1/2 the price or whatever. were talking about much lower savings and souring parts and waiting plus having to put the system together yourself. it comes down to do you want to make your computer or just use it to make music. How much is your time worth to you?
Old 9th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popa2caps View Post
He should not need a power supply over 350watts! It's a (DAW) not a Water Cooled hyper beast running 4k 60 hz with 2 970's SLI OC while streaming twitch and watching YouTube.
The mentioned PSU "be quiet" is probably a tiny bit overdimensioned with 750 Watt, but when its overprovisioned here, it generally means, that the actual power efficiency is way better than with a lower 350 Watt capable PSU. I.e. it has better components, which could handle larger loads, when they handle lower loads, it doesnt get as warm, as a smaller PSU.

So, yes - its a good idea to overprovision the PSU. Have a look at the explanation below.

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=10617

The efficiency is a bell curve, so when your system is consuming 350W, the best efficiency is there if you have a 700W PSU.
It means you dont waste electrical power for heat, instead the transformation itself is best.

I did the calculation for the recommended system: (Xeon CPU, Harddrives, 16 Gbyte of Memory, SSD , Corsair HS100 Water cooler, the consumption goes to 394 W, and with that bell curve, i would clearly suggest the 750 W power supply, you never know, if you will later upgrade your graphic card or not, and even if not, you get the better efficiency here.
The calculator is actually very good, you could select all brands /cards to match it to your system.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

I personally think its worth building yourself a computer, if you actually select premium components for it, something you would not get from a standard DELL computer, if you compare the price to premium computers, you still can save a lot of money. Because the custom builders, charge also a lot for it. I am very happy with the system i build.
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Addict

Pre built computers often fill up both memory channels with lower capacity memory making it harder to upgrade with more later. They usually have the stock cpu cooler, which in the case of a 4790k may be inadequate. You dont get to choose the case and often end up with something that looks like it should be in an office. The fans and power supply are usually generic, built to a price and louder than they need to be. They come filled with bloatware.

IMO, pre built systems only make sense if you don't own a copy of the OS and you don't have any donor hardware for your new build.
Old 9th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternenlicht View Post
The mentioned PSU "be quiet" is probably a tiny bit overdimensioned with 750 Watt, but when its overprovisioned here, it generally means, that the actual power efficiency is way better than with a lower 350 Watt capable PSU. I.e. it has better components, which could handle larger loads, when they handle lower loads, it doesnt get as warm, as a smaller PSU.

So, yes - its a good idea to overprovision the PSU. Have a look at the explanation below.

Google-Ergebnis für http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=10617

The efficiency is a bell curve, so when your system is consuming 350W, the best efficiency is there if you have a 700W PSU.
It means you dont waste electrical power for heat, instead the transformation itself is best.

I did the calculation for the recommended system: (Xeon CPU, Harddrives, 16 Gbyte of Memory, SSD , Corsair HS100 Water cooler, the consumption goes to 394 W, and with that bell curve, i would clearly suggest the 750 W power supply, you never know, if you will later upgrade your graphic card or not, and even if not, you get the better efficiency here.
The calculator is actually very good, you could select all brands /cards to match it to your system.

eXtreme Outer Vision - eXtreme tools for computer enthusiasts

I personally think its worth building yourself a computer, if you actually select premium components for it, something you would not get from a standard DELL computer, if you compare the price to premium computers, you still can save a lot of money. Because the custom builders, charge also a lot for it. I am very happy with the system i build.

You do know that link you posted about 80 Plus was last updated 5 in 2010?

There is flaws with what you speak. " The efficiency is a bell curve, so when your system is consuming 350W, the best efficiency is there if you have a 700W PSU. " How does that make wtf

You can’t save power that you aren’t using!

For the higher certification levels, the requirement of 0.9 or better power factor was extended to apply to 20% and 50% load levels, as well as at 100% load.[5] The Platinum level requires 0.95 or better power factor for servers.

Reducing the heat output of the computer helps reduce noise, since fans do not have to spin as fast to cool the computer. Reduced heat and resulting lower cooling demands may increase computer reliability.

The mentioned PSU "be quiet" is probably a tiny bit overdimensioned with 750 Watt, but when its overprovisioned here, it generally means, that the actual power efficiency is way better than with a lower 350 Watt capable PSU.

Seasconic are one of the best power supply makers, I'm sure they know what thet are doing when they sell there PSU's.

You keep using the word, Overprovisioning but i'm lost cause most would have used that for Capacity Resilience for networking. Back in 2006
The sweet spot for a poser supply is somewhere between 50% and 80% full load.

Quote me with papers from back in 2010 won't help this, i demand newer post!
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
also higher watt psus have larger fans which allow for quieter operation. Noise is a big deal with DAWS a good quality low self noise mics somewhere in the <20db range will pick up a lot of room noise that's another reason I just went with a simple low noise dell. can't hear the thing when it's on at basic mix volumes. 75 -85db

things are not like they use to be where building your system would be 1/2 the price or whatever. were talking about much lower savings and souring parts and waiting plus having to put the system together yourself. it comes down to do you want to make your computer or just use it to make music. How much is your time worth to you?

People, who is showing all this bad knowledge for power supplies?

"also higher watt psus have larger fans which allow for quieter operation." It's 2015 no body should be hearing there psu, EVER

Noise is a big deal with DAWS a good quality low self noise mics somewhere in the <20db range will pick up a lot of room noise that's another reason I just went with a simple low noise dell,
You must be joking now, using dell in the same place as DAW Joking right?
You use the word DAW when you really just wanted a Family computer.
Old 10th January 2015
Quote:
Quote me with papers from back in 2010 won't help this, i demand newer post!
I posted a calculation site, and an explanation what the gold grade actually means. Hey its your power supply, if you want to buy cheaper - go for it, i dont mind. I dont have stock papers from "be quiet", and i dont know anyone from that company, i am just a satisfied customer, thats why i recommended it, i meant to be helpfull, i am a tech guy not a sales person, there havent been soo much new inventions in the PSU department, so the standard from 2010 is still valid. (Also i am not intrested in the 20$ which are mentioned in this thread, i purley thought i give some advise, because i build computers since the i286 plattform was established as a hobby.) I appreciate your thoughts on this matter aswell, i dont think that i have eaten wisdom with a golden spoon, as we use to say here. I will checkout that DAW benchmark aswell, i wasnt aware that there is any. (The ableton user forum made some test projects, where the users posted the amount of tracks they could duplicate before they got dropouts

Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Let's play nicely. This thread has been extremely informative for me. Let's not have it turn into another one of "those" threads. We're all entitled to our opinion, its up to the individual to take the information and do their own research and make their own judgement separating the fact from the not so fact.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternenlicht View Post
I posted a calculation site, and an explanation what the gold grade actually means. Hey its your power supply, if you want to buy cheaper - go for it, i dont mind. I dont have stock papers from "be quiet", and i dont know anyone from that company, i am just a satisfied customer, thats why i recommended it, i meant to be helpfull, i am a tech guy not a sales person, there havent been soo much new inventions in the PSU department, so the standard from 2010 is still valid.

Sorry if i came off as rude, i just see a ton of links for power supplies and i guess i can came off the wrong way, i thank you for the help. I'm just stating the power efficiency back in 2010 for consumer electronics is not the same of the type of devises we get today.

For my self before i buy anything i look at specs and reviews before i buy anything. I look at power supplies the way to look at cars and MPG. If your looking for a 40 MPG car and get a sports car, it's not going to go over well with your main plan of trying to save but get more at the extent of more gas being used, But instead of being gas, it's heat for power supplies, if you get a 700 watt psu and 80 plus starts at 50% then you would be wasting before you got to the 50%.

Got to go to a bithday party for my brother. i'll be back later. My PSU is the Seasonic XP2,

Welcome to Seasonic USA
Old 10th January 2015
Hmm, its in the same price range, and has the same features as the be quiet PSU, what is the argument about? The dark power one, i recommended was 10$ cheaper as the seasonic, which is platinum standard, so even better than the gold one, i selected.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Okay i have reviewed some of the Power Supplies and still think the same way.
When building a computer use a computer power calculator from. Just Google or use one of these links.
Calculator 1
Calculator 2

Now to learn about power supplies, short version, My thought? get what you need, people might tell you to future proof a computer, But electronics change too often in my opinion to keep up.

Most power supplies are tested in 80 Plus standards, Meaning they do 10% 20 % 50% 100%,
Now that would good but whats going on at 22.5 W on a 450 W PSU ?
This link will show a test of that same thought.
LINK

The efficiency of a computer power supply is its output power divided by its input power; the remaining input power is converted into heat. For instance, a 600-watt power supply with 60% efficiency running at full load would draw 1000 W from the mains and would therefore waste 400 W as heat. On the other hand, a 600-watt power supply with 80% efficiency running at full load would draw 750 W from the mains and would therefore waste only 150 W as heat.

For a given power supply, efficiency varies depending on how much power is being delivered. Supplies are typically most efficient at between half and three quarters load, much less efficient at low load, and somewhat less efficient at maximum load.

"much less efficient at low load" (is talked about in the above link)

Older ATX power supplies were typically 60% to 75% efficient. To qualify for 80 Plus, a power supply must achieve at least 80% efficiency at three specified loads (20%, 50% and 100% of maximum rated power). However, 80 Plus supplies may still be less than 80% efficient at lower loads. For instance, an 80 Plus, 520 watt supply could still be 70% or less efficient at 60 watts (a typical idle power for a desktop computer).[9] Thus it is still important to select a supply with capacity appropriate to the device being powered.

It is easier to achieve the higher efficiency levels for higher wattage supplies, so gold and platinum supplies may be less available in consumer level supplies of reasonable capacity for typical desktop machines.

Typical computer power supplies may have power factors as low as 0.5 to 0.6.[10] The higher power factor reduces the peak current draw, reducing load on the circuit or on an uninterruptible --(not able to be broken in continuity)-- power supply.

Reducing the heat output of the computer helps reduce noise, since fans do not have to spin as fast to cool the computer. Reduced heat and resulting lower cooling demands may increase computer reliability.[10]

The testing conditions may give an unrealistic expectation of efficiency for heavily loaded, high power (rated much larger than 300 W) supplies. A heavily loaded power supply and the computer it is powering generate significant amounts of heat, which may raise the power supply temperature, which is likely to decrease its efficiency. Since power supplies are certified at room temperature, this effect is not taken into account.[5]

80 Plus does not set efficiency targets for very low load. For instance, generation of standby power may still be relatively inefficient, and may not meet requirements of the One Watt Initiative. Testing of 80 Plus power supplies shows that they vary considerably in standby efficiency. Some consume half a watt[11] or less in standby with no load, where others consume several times as much at standby,[12] even though they may meet higher 80 Plus certification requirement levels. Inefficiencies in generating standby power are magnified by the amount of time that computers spend turned off.

All this wall of text is saying,
Calculate how big of PSU you need.
Review the range of said PSU
Do you really need a Platinum PSU for just a little more? Not really.
Bigger is not better! In PSU's that is.

When i listed the Seasonic XP2 that i have, I didn't read the testing of PSU's at very low voltages, i would like to say not get a 660W PSU for this type of computer, You just won't use the power it has for it.

Intel Core i7-4790K, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

the cost of the Case and PSU could come down a bit, 400W should be around $50 at this rated level and being fanless, no noise would or should ever come form it.
never have used this case, but i hear it's silent.
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
"also higher watt psus have larger fans which allow for quieter operation." It's 2015 no body should be hearing there psu, EVER
not what you can hear what the microphone can and take the double fanned psus they will be louder then a single 120 mm fan based psu also the frequency of the fans are different 120 is more of a lower roar that can be better filtered then louder psu fans. fanless is the best option for a psu id go lower watts and fanless before more watts and with a fan.
Old 10th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos30 View Post
not what you can hear what the microphone can and take the double fanned psus they will be louder then a single 120 mm fan based psu also the frequency of the fans are different 120 is more of a lower roar that can be better filtered then louder psu fans. fanless is the best option for a psu id go lower watts and fanless before more watts and with a fan.
Same, i just use Hybrid mode on my PSU, fan turns on about 50% or something.
Old 11th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
For those who want to compare one CPU against another . . .

Some of the Pro DAW builders have generously posted their DAWbench results here in old threads about specific CPU's (both at stock speed and overclocked). DAWbench is the ONLY benchmark that applies to our specific computer use and will give meaningful apples to apples figures for a true comparison.

One thing to look for however is there are old DAWbench suite numbers and new DAWbench suite numbers (needed because of the improvements in the newer CPU's) so be careful with how you read them.
Thanks for this site, been trying to fix some issues with my i7 4790k, going to have to look over this site and see what i can do.

I'm sorry if a lot of people ask this, but i can't find the right spot to ask about Digital Pianos vs Midi Controllers on Gearslutz.
Can anyone point me in the right way?
Old 11th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry if a lot of people ask this, but i can't find the right spot to ask about Digital Pianos vs Midi Controllers on Gearslutz.
Can anyone point me in the right way?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ic-production/
Old 11th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thanks
Old 11th January 2015
Lives for gear

For $35 of long cables you can move the computer out of your audio spaces where it belongs, thus spending extra to get a quiet case and no fan Power Supply etc. is wasted money and a red herring issue. Additionally when you push most computers with a heavy load guess what, the fans kick in high to deal with the extra heat so if the computer/fans are not in your audio space who cares how much noise it makes. The guys that have to worry about computer noise are the laptop and all in one computer/screen devices like the imac because as soon as the load gets high the fans kick in hard. Often many bedroom warriors going this route are working in non-acoustically treated spaces where the ambient noise is very high to begin with so they just bear with the additional masking noise. Pro use in a treated space is another matter, move the computer and spend $35 on long cables (long HDMI or VGA cable for the video, long USB or USB repeater for your wireless keyboard/mouse).
Old 11th January 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
For $35 of long cables you can move the computer out of your audio spaces where it belongs, thus spending extra to get a quiet case and no fan Power Supply etc. is wasted money and a red herring issue. Additionally when you push most computers with a heavy load guess what, the fans kick in high to deal with the extra heat so if the computer/fans are not in your audio space who cares how much noise it makes. The guys that have to worry about computer noise are the laptop and all in one computer/screen devices like the imac because as soon as the load gets high the fans kick in hard. Often many bedroom warriors going this route are working in non-acoustically treated spaces where the ambient noise is very high to begin with so they just bear with the additional masking noise. Pro use in a treated space is another matter, move the computer and spend $35 on long cables (long HDMI or VGA cable for the video, long USB or USB repeater for your wireless keyboard/mouse).
Exactly . Which is why I suggested this about 30 posts back. Zero noise and no added heat in the work area. Either a simple "pass thru" or temporarily run the cables under the bottom corner of the door jamb. You've got alot of good information here, you should be able to make informed choices and move forward now. Good luck with it man !
Old 11th January 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
For $35 of long cables you can move the computer out of your audio spaces where it belongs, thus spending extra to get a quiet case and no fan Power Supply etc. is wasted money and a red herring issue.
Long term, yes. But it's going to take some time to get a more ideal space built out. My first priority has to be isolation between my space and my wife's.
Keeping my noise out of her living room makes buying toys for that space much easier!

This is a place I can compromise it seems. Since I'm over budget, need to cut a few bucks out ... and most importantly ... sit 10 feet from the central heat and air unit... that fan makes my computer fan seem kind of irrelevant at the moment. I cut it off when I'm doing things, sure. Point is... I'm not in a perfect sound environment. Getting a PSU that would help me keep my computer near by isn't that important right now. I put that on one my list because it will be important at some point and it seemed like a solid part for $200. For now though, it seems I can cut my cost in half, or maybe even reuse the one coming in my donor case. (I didn't get to pick it up so I don't know what all is in it)
Until I start really isolating my space and treating it, I be fine. When I go to drop another couple K on my walls, I'll toss in a few more bucks for equipment upgrades if it makes sense at that point.
That's my thoughts anyway.

Can't say enough about how much I appreciate the help guys! I feel like I'm moving forward with a purpose and some good info.

-r
Old 12th January 2015
Quote:
Some of the Pro DAW builders have generously posted their DAWbench results here in old threads about specific CPU's (both at stock speed and overclocked).
To be more specific: Vin from AAVIM has done all the hard work creating the benches and comparing interfaces, DAWs and OS versions on one dedicated system.
Scott from ADK has posted all the CPU DAWbench results.

Props to these great guys!
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear
I've made some adjustments ... mother board choice mostly. But this is my list! I submit it to the wife for approval tonight and hopefully order everything tonight as well.

Free/Reuse List;
Nice ATX case w/
-Fancy blue LEDs all up in it
-Backlit, analog temp and fan speed gauges for increased legitimacy
-500W PSU
-Dual display video card (need to pull it out and see what kind, but I only care that it works for now)
-1TB 10k HDD
-DVD Burner

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($134.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $913.92

The motherboard switch was because it was limited on the types of memory it could run. 1866 at best. Thinking about the future... I can go with "better" ram later using this board. It also had an array of USB inputs that was nice. Ratings were good and I don't know any better ... so in the cart it went.

And technically there's $75 more because I'll be doing the 8.1 Pro upgrade Amazon is running.

I'll grab some pictures and what not as parts start coming in. Color me excited ...

-r
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by renopowers View Post
I've made some adjustments ... mother board choice mostly. But this is my list! I submit it to the wife for approval tonight and hopefully order everything tonight as well.

Free/Reuse List;
Nice ATX case w/
-Fancy blue LEDs all up in it
-Backlit, analog temp and fan speed gauges for increased legitimacy
-500W PSU
-Dual display video card (need to pull it out and see what kind, but I only care that it works for now)
-1TB 10k HDD
-DVD Burner

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($317.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($149.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($134.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $913.92

The motherboard switch was because it was limited on the types of memory it could run. 1866 at best. Thinking about the future... I can go with "better" ram later using this board. It also had an array of USB inputs that was nice. Ratings were good and I don't know any better ... so in the cart it went.

And technically there's $75 more because I'll be doing the 8.1 Pro upgrade Amazon is running.

I'll grab some pictures and what not as parts start coming in. Color me excited ...

-r
For the CPU, no Microcenter close to you?

I didn't Google the memory yet, Your going to mix the RAM, are the timings the same?
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
For the CPU, no Microcenter close to you?
There is one a little over an hour or so away. Everyone keeps saying I can get it cheaper there... but I can't find anything that indicates that. I haven't walked into the store and talked to anyone. It's too far away to make a casual stop in. I did call the number on their site, told them what I was looking to build and if they could do any better on the cost. They basically said the pricing for "in store pickup" on the site is the price it's going to cost($290). Couple the time, the cost of driving down and back (truck get's a sweet 12mpg) it didn't seem beneficial.
Let me source everything via Microcenter and see what the cost differences were. I believe it was more all the way around.

Quote:
I didn't Google the memory yet, Your going to mix the RAM, are the timings the same?
Crap... I forgot to take the Team Xtreem out of the cart...
I'm only getting 16GB G.Skill package. Thanks for catching that!!

-r
Old 16th January 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
There is one a little over an hour or so away. Everyone keeps saying I can get it cheaper there... but I can't find anything that indicates that. I haven't walked into the store and talked to anyone. It's too far away to make a casual stop in. I did call the number on their site, told them what I was looking to build and if they could do any better on the cost. They basically said the pricing for "in store pickup" on the site is the price it's going to cost($290). Couple the time, the cost of driving down and back (truck get's a sweet 12mpg) it didn't seem beneficial.
Let me source everything via Microcenter and see what the cost differences were. I believe it was more all the way around.

Crap... I forgot to take the Team Xtreem out of the cart...
I'm only getting 16GB G.Skill package. Thanks for catching that!!

-r
I only ask people to check Microcenter because they have good in-store deals for CPU's and motherboard deals when you buy both at the same time. I got my i7 4790k for $249.99 but this deal is over.

https://app.box.com/s/e05leh4eoq0nbogsyg4ya90z446ht031 PIC of the email i got from Microcenter today.

Not sure how to find this deal from there website yet.
Old 16th January 2015
Lives for gear

Microcenter currently has for in-store pickup that CPU and motherboard combo for $410, saving you $58 over what you have listed above.

Intel Processor Motherboard Bundles | Micro Center

The 4790K CPU is $280 there right now however if you can wait till Feb. 1st (they update sales monthly) that chip may again be listed for $250, which has been their common sales price for that CPU and you may get that same motherboard as a combo deal for an additional $40 off, $120 for the motherboard (talk to the salesman if it's not on special next month as they can give you a deal) giving you a total combo price of $370 (worth the drive). Again you will probably save a few bucks more for the other small items you may need to complete the build.

Remember you don't have to source all your parts from one store, pickup whatever item(s) are the lowest cost from all your available options (multiple suppliers / multiple orders) as that will give you the lowest total cost. So Microcenter may have the best deal for a CPU/motherboard/case/small items, Newegg may have the best deal on the Power Supply, Amazon may have the best deal on Ram, someone else may have the best deal on hard drives, etc....

Last edited by Bassmankr; 16th January 2015 at 06:23 PM..
Old 16th January 2015
So who gets the $20?
Old 16th January 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwagner View Post
So who gets the $20?
You're in Denver... you could swing by the Tech Center and pick up my parts, collect $20 and the beers?? haha.

I don't know ... I need to read back through here and figure that out though.

-r
Old 16th January 2015
Quote:
You're in Denver... you could swing by the Tech Center and pick up my parts, collect $20 and the beers?? haha.

I don't know ... I need to read back through here and figure that out though.

-r
Beers??
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search