The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RME PCI Card Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 1st January 2015
Here for the gear

RME PCI Card

Hi all. Wondering if some of you more knowledgeable can help me out. I have an older PC running Win XP Pro that I want to convert for use with my current recording setup (Yamaha 01v96v2 & Alesis HD24).

I'd like to have the ability to send the tracks to the pc (1.87 GHz Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 CPU with 4 Gig Ram & 500 GB HD) and edit them using Reaper.

My plan for a PCI card is an RME HDSP 9652 to use as the interface. I'm not real PC savvy and just became aware of PCIe slots. Was hoping that someone could a) tell me if the slots on my pc are in fact PCI slots and/or b) give me some additional input on what I might use to transfer the tracks to the pc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Smitty
Old 2nd January 2015
Gear Guru

RME made both PCI and PCIe cards. The HDSP is PCI, and the HDSPe is PCIe. Can't say 100% which you have on your PC, although with a Core2, it will most likely have PCIe slots, and may have one or two PCI slots as well.

I can say that if you get the right one, either will work great. The only difference in performance is that the HDSPe can get down to 32 samples of latency, and the HDSP can do 64. Either is plenty adequate.
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
RME made both PCI and PCIe cards. The HDSP is PCI, and the HDSPe is PCIe. Can't say 100% which you have on your PC, although with a Core2, it will most likely have PCIe slots, and may have one or two PCI slots as well.

I can say that if you get the right one, either will work great. The only difference in performance is that the HDSPe can get down to 32 samples of latency, and the HDSP can do 64. Either is plenty adequate.
Not quite right. 32buffer on my i7 box run just fine under PCI bus.

But there again I also have a couple of UAD-1 pci-e cards running fine in the same machine.
No real reason why a pci solution wouldnt run just as well if the machine is set up right and he has the latest drivers/firmware on whichever RME card he chooses.
Old 2nd January 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks for the input guys. I've done some searching, but wondered if either of you could help me with what I would "look" for to know the difference?
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithjdad View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I've done some searching, but wondered if either of you could help me with what I would "look" for to know the difference?
You can determine whether or not your system has PCI-e slots by referring to the Motherboard user manual (if you've kept it). You can also look on the motherboard itself for markings of the model number/name to Google it for specifications. There are also freeware programs you can install that provide information about the system, including slots etc.

Usually, however, you can tell just by looking in the Device settings from the Control Panel.

I have been running my system on 32 buffer settings with minimal issues (ie if I'm running a lot of multi instruments, I may need to bump it up to 64). Latency is between 1.5 and 2ms on paper, but under 4ms real world. Fantastic way to interface with a PC.
Old 2nd January 2015
Quote:
what I would "look" for to know the difference?

I'd imagine your computer may even have both PCI and PCIe, but not being familiar with it's motherboard I couldn't say.

If you haven't bought an audio interface yet, check against the pics above 1st.
Old 2nd January 2015
Some more images

Old 2nd January 2015
Here for the gear

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the help. It appears to have two 32 bit pci slots and one 16x PCI express.

Thanks again for the help!

Smitty
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

The RME 9652 PCI card teams up nicely with both the Alesis HD24 and HD24XR. Make sure you get the newer version of the card with two midi I/O, should be around $300 used price.
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

I think I have an RME 9652 somewhere, most likely PCI. PM if you want to buy it.

(btw; used on Amazon is $500)
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Not trying to kill a sale from a fellow gearslutz member (especially one who regularly is a good contributer to the forums) where you are more likely to get a trusted seller but there is one on ebay right now for $250, free shipping, buy it now listing (it's probably against the rules to post a direct link to it so do some legwork). That particular item is not showing the breakout cables (midi / spdif / AES-EBU) so ask first. You can get those two special cables separately if not included for not much money.

I've seen them go for under $300, I've seen them go for well over $300. It like most things, just depends on how many show up and how many want them at the same time.
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Not trying to kill a sale from a fellow gearslutz member (especially one who regularly is a good contributer to the forums) where you are more likely to get a trusted seller but there is one on ebay right now for $250, free shipping, buy it now listing (it's probably against the rules to post a direct link to it so do some legwork). That particular item is not showing the breakout cables (midi / spdif / AES-EBU) so ask first. You can get those two special cables separately if not included for not much money.

I've seen them go for under $300, I've seen them go for well over $300. It like most things, just depends on how many show up and how many want them at the same time.
$250 seems like a pretty good deal. And don't worry about killing a sale from me, it's more important that the guy gets what he needs as cheaply and painlessly as possible.

I don't think I have cables for mine btw.
Old 2nd January 2015
Here for the gear

Thanks again for all the help guys. Unfortunately, I went ahead and ordered from Sweetwater before seeing the offer from mattiasync.

I have had so many frustratingly bad experiences on ebay I never even think of it these days. I probably should have checked the classifieds here, but never thought of it either.

Lol....I reckon as much of a newb as I am ordering new probably isn't the worst thing.

Smitty
Old 2nd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help guys. Unfortunately, I went ahead and ordered from Sweetwater before seeing the offer from mattiasync.

I have had so many frustratingly bad experiences on ebay I never even think of it these days. I probably should have checked the classifieds here, but never thought of it either.

Lol....I reckon as much of a newb as I am ordering new probably isn't the worst thing.

Smitty
You'll be fine. You'll get what you need + support and warranty! Sounds good to me.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search