The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Interface - Low Latency?
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Nut

Audio Interface - Low Latency?

I have been looking to get to have a low latency for quite some time. You people do post your computer specifications and the brands of your audio interfaces, if you would post the ms of latency you are having, I may buy the same audio interface you may have.

I have gotten an Intel i7 Quad Core (4 GHz) PC (64 bit Win OS) and I am still having around 18 ms input/output (for both) latency (at 512 samples) with the Yamaha Audiogram 3 (and its ASIO drivers). When I am lowering the buffer size till to 64 samples then I am having around 7 ms input/output (for both) latency. With this, when I record notes with the MIDI-keyboard (to the metronome) then it looks like the MIDI notes do get recorded a bit better "right on the grid" (in the piano roll).

With this fast PC I have - would I get even better latency (when it comes to the ms) with for example the Roland Quadcapture audio interface? Can somebody please let me know!
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxn View Post
I have been looking to get to have a low latency for quite some time. You people do post your computer specifications and the brands of your audio interfaces, if you would post the ms of latency you are having, I may buy the same audio interface you may have.

I have gotten an Intel i7 Quad Core (4 GHz) PC (64 bit Win OS) and I am still having around 18 ms input/output (for both) latency (at 512 samples) with the Yamaha Audiogram 3 (and its ASIO drivers). When I am lowering the buffer size till to 64 samples then I am having around 7 ms input/output (for both) latency. With this, when I record notes with the MIDI-keyboard (to the metronome) then it looks like the MIDI notes do get recorded a bit better "right on the grid" (in the piano roll).

With this fast PC I have - would I get even better latency (when it comes to the ms) with for example the Roland Quadcapture audio interface? Can somebody please let me know!
I guess you need to raise the sample rate to lower the latency even more.
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
Do you mean "increasing" it? It was at default at 512 samples (with around 17 input/output - for both - latency) I actually decreased the sample rate to have the latency get to: 7 ms (at 64 samples)
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

To get to 7ms you didn't decrease the sampling rate, you reduced the buffer size.

Either works.

With a buffer size of 256 samples at 44.1kHz on an old macbook paired with a fast track pro usb I'm getting an overall roundtrip latency of 11.something ms.
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear
Lexicon U42S - 7ms
Old 30th December 2014
Lives for gear

Internal interfaces (PCI) will always reach lower latency marks than external (USB/FW). But RME is always a good bet when aiming for really low ms's. Even on USB.
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
I have just tried it. Thanks for this suggestions I have had overlooked it before.

I set the sample rate to 48.000, and the buffer size to 256 samples, with this I am having around 12 ms input/output (for both) latency.

I did a bit of recording and it looked like it is snappy, I will try more later.

Is there something I should be aware of when it comes to the sound with these settings I mentioned?

For example, when I would have the buffer size at 64 samples I would notice how the sound would sound a bit "phased".
Old 30th December 2014
Gear Addict

Strange if the sound phased when you lower the buffer to 64 samples.

Think about it, when you 'increase' the sample rate, you will get more samples pr. second, and basic math will tell you that there will be a longer time period between 256 samples @ 44100 Hz than 48000 Hz, thus more latency @ 44100. Be aware that higher sample rate and lower buffer will put a strain on your computer. Do it if you don't get any audible crackle in the sound. Also, make sure that there's no mismatch between the sample rate in your interface preferences and DAW. All must be set to the same.

I'm mostly using hardware and direct monitoring to avoid the hassle you're describing.

Edit: Edit: I'm not sure if my statement above applies to soft synths. I haven't recorded with softsynths in a long time...

Last edited by netrom; 30th December 2014 at 11:54 PM..
Old 31st December 2014
Gear Nut

Thanks a lot netrom, for you answer! Your answer did help!

I will try a bit more with the settings I have till I get the monitors I am looking to buy, then I will try to have a closer look.

I decided for software because of articulations and editing. Yeah, I like to play on the keyboard, though I have decided for software because of being able to pay more attention to the sound (editing/mixing).

I can replay what I hear, but eventually I would be looking to have it sound similar to what I have been replaying.

Greetings!
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Maniac
Lowering latency

I've been doing research.
From that, and not experience:

one way to minimize latency:
- Make a stereo mix of whatever's already recorded in the DAW.
- mute everything else, disable master bus plugs. i.e. whatever it takes so computer is ONLY dealing with a stereo (or mono?!) mix + whatever you're playing.
- Reduce buffer to 32, see if you can record without dropouts/etc.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 6th January 2015
I use Presonus Firestudio Project. See advert language below. I am able to record with what I experience as zero latency. Is it actually zero? I guess I can't tell you for sure. I'd be curious to hear if the zero latency claim is true. I do experience it that way.

Quote:
The FireStudio Project also includes the FireControl mixer/router, an 18x10 DSP mixer/router for flexible mixing and direct routing any input to any output including the headphone output, with zero latency. The FireControl software application lives between your FireStudio Project interface and your DAW software enabling the mixing and routing of input streams coming into your FireStudio Studio Project interface and playback stream coming from your DAW software. The FireControl is capable of creating up to five stereo mixes and then routing to the outputs of your FireStudio Project for headphone mixes and various aux sends. This way everyone in the band and the recording engineer can have a custom mix. Also, the FireStudio Project is loaded with internal flash memory so that all FireControl settings are saved and recalled in the FireStudio Project during power off/on.
Old 6th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobert View Post
I use Presonus Firestudio Project. See advert language below. I am able to record with what I experience as zero latency. Is it actually zero? I guess I can't tell you for sure. I'd be curious to hear if the zero latency claim is true. I do experience it that way.
It's not zero, but close enough. I use direct monitoring myself, but I think the OP record soft synths, and direct monitoring don't work for that purpose. He must monitor through his DAW.
Old 6th January 2015
Quote:
but I think the OP record soft synths, and direct monitoring don't work for that purpose. He must monitor through his DAW.
Ah of course. When I use midi I also have to deal with latency. Not terrible but it's certainly less fun when one can't just zone into the sound as it happens to facilitate one's performance.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search