The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My laptop won't find my microhpone!
Old 24th December 2014
Here for the gear

My laptop won't find my microhpone!

Hi guys,

I have a BM-700 condenser microphone, I have all the necessary leads and the 48V phantom power pack. I plug it all in and set it up how it should be and works perfectly if plugged into my amp. I also have a lead which allows it to be plugged into my computer via a headphone jack. To check the cable worked, I used an adapter to change it from a headphone to an amp jack, which I then plug into my amp, and works fine. So all my cables work perfectly, as does my mic and phantom power pack. But when I plug it into my computer (Asus Notebook PC running Windows 8.1) it doesn't even detect my microphone. I use Audacity for recording but it will only allow me to use my built-in computer microphone.

Need help with setting up please.
Old 27th January 2015
try updating your mic-in drivers!!
Old 27th January 2015
If you are expecting to see your mic on your audio control panel as an input device, you won't.
The Chinese Excelvan or Shengyue BM-700 mics are analog mics with conventional balanced analog output on a XLR connector.
The mic is not a digital audio source, so won't be "detected" as an audio input device in the audio control panel.

If you are selecting the "built-in" analog audio input and don't hear the mic, your adapter is probably not wired correctly for your headphone/mic input jack.
Your "amp" probably has an input jack that is a standard 3.5 mm or 1/4-inch TS/TRS input only, while the laptop may have a 3.5 mm TRRS headphone out/mic in which is wired differently.

You need to confirm the wiring connections on your computer, and then check the XLR cable adapter you're using between the phantom power supply and the laptop to see if it matches those connections. I have no idea of the particular configuration of your Asus notebook, but if it's a common 3.5 mm TRRS in/out connector, a plain XLR to 3.5 mm TRS adapter won't work since the mic-in contact is the second ring terminal.

A simple 3.5 mm XLR/TRS adapter will connect the mic to the headphone output, not the mic input on a 3.5 mm TRRS mic/headphone jack, so won't work on a computer TRRS connector, but will work fine on a TS or TRS amplifier input.

Does your adapter cable look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
My laptop won't find my microhpone!-xlr-trrs-adapter-cable.jpg  

Last edited by Lotus 7; 27th January 2015 at 08:42 AM..
Old 27th January 2015
Here for the gear

should be something wrong with the drivers...try to re-install it...if you can use other mic before...it's not about the computer...maybe about the computer system...but most of the time will be the drivers problem.
Old 28th January 2015
I just looked up the model of the microphone.. wow i've never seen a CONDENSER mic for that price, times change!
Old 28th January 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

About a year ago, my laptop couldn't find my microphone either. In the end, one of my poodles did.

Old 28th January 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentytapes.com View Post
I just looked up the model of the microphone.. wow i've never seen a CONDENSER mic for that price, times change!
Indeed. I'm considering getting one of these for mobile recording:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...AT2020USB+plus

Listen to the demos, it doesn't sound bad at all, considering it is also using its own converter.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search