The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Toontrack-favorite ezx?
Old 24th December 2014
Toontrack-favorite ezx?

I'm an avid EZ drummer user. So far I have the stock "pop/rock" kit and the "Nashville" ezx. I LOVE them, especially the Nashville.

Looking to add...What should I get next? What are your favs?
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Nut

The EZdrummer 2 upgrade comes with a new modern kit that's a good addition plus you get the more powerful EZD2.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Addict

I love the Indie Folk kit. This is the kit I use to convince people EZD can sound real, and great.
Old 24th December 2014
Thanks. Both good suggestions. Indie folk was what I was thinking! I feel the same about the Nashville kit. I highly recommend it if you don't have it yet.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac

I've been following their advent sale and keeping my fingers crossed for the Nashville kit, other than that i'm still just using the ones that come with EZ Drummer 2. Added the songwriters pack for 8 bucks today though.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBootsOnFire View Post
I've been following their advent sale and keeping my fingers crossed for the Nashville kit, other than that i'm still just using the ones that come with EZ Drummer 2. Added the songwriters pack for 8 bucks today though.
Honestly, I think the new kits are better than the nashville kit. The nashville kit has become so sterile to me. Sure it's good, but once that word got around and everyone bought it, it just lost it's sound to me.

If you only had EZD1, I'd say get the nashville kit, if you have EZD2, skip them to be honest.
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Guru

Have to say EzDrummer 2 and it's Modern Kits. Best sounding drums Toontrack has done, at least for the stuff I like to do. It was produced by Chuck Ainlay, same guy who did Music City/Nashville I think. I really hope they come out with Superior 3 soon with the full shebang on those kits. In fact I hope they go back to the same studio and record more kit pieces the exact same way.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear
I really like the funk kit. The Clyde Stubblefield kit sounds great and I use it for a lot of stuff besides funk
Old 24th December 2014
Yeah, Nashville doesn't come to mind for what I typically do, but it just struck me as the best sounding one. I want some other flavors tho.

I've been dragging my feet on v2 because 1) I don't want to spend money 2) I'm so happy with the original.
Old 24th December 2014
Pip
Lives for gear

About to upgrade, been mid project - love Nashville, Americana gets used quite a bit, it's a bit more in your face, that would be my call
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Just got MadeOfMetal
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

The Pop ezx is actually pretty good. I just bought it.
Old 26th December 2014
PMF
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
I really like the funk kit. The Clyde Stubblefield kit sounds great and I use it for a lot of stuff besides funk
I really like this one also. I also use the Pop and the Jazz kit quite a lot too, depending on the material.
Old 26th December 2014
Gear Nut

On another note regarding EZ Drummer.

In version 2, it doesn't have a switch to turn off the humanize mode like in version 1. Does anyone sometimes find that the snare hits in humanize mode are just TOO loud in random places, sometimes to the point of it being so obvious that it's not usable. I found this in version 2. I think they should have included it in version 2. I like the idea of it but its too inconsistent.
Old 26th December 2014
Hmm... I have noticed that. I usually get 1 that pokes out bad every time I use it.
Old 8th January 2015
I like the Americana suggestion. If you like Nashville too and you say Americana is more "in your face" that may be up my alley.

I want to get something a little more aggressive next but I don't do metal, ya know...

Anyone have the Rock! kit? "Classic" looks promising too.
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnogs View Post

In version 2, it doesn't have a switch to turn off the humanize mode like in version 1. Does anyone sometimes find that the snare hits in humanize mode are just TOO loud in random places, sometimes to the point of it being so obvious that it's not usable. I found this in version 2. I think they should have included it in version 2. I like the idea of it but its too inconsistent.
Humanize does not affect timing and velocity, only which samples are used.
Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by LejonBrames View Post
Humanize does not affect timing and velocity, only which samples are used.
I'm pretty sure velocity determines what sample is played.
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
I'm pretty sure velocity determines what sample is played.
Yes and no.

There are many different samples and many different velocity times.

But humanize does not affect velocity levels.
Old 8th January 2015
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnogs View Post

In version 2, it doesn't have a switch to turn off the humanize mode like in version 1.
It does now. The option is in the "Menu" drop down.

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 8th January 2015 at 01:52 PM..
Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
Yes and no.

There are many different samples and many different velocity times.

But humanize does not affect velocity levels.
That's very vague and ambiguous. Yes and no?

Velocity is midi information that represents attack. Samples are recorded with varying attack and arranged in such a way to correspond with velocity. Ei; low velocity value triggers soft attack, higher value>stronger attack.
Old 8th January 2015
Nashville & Rock ezx are pretty good. The big kits in Superior are even better IMO. It's really up to the user though, I never go for the hip hop or the weird one's ...but more natural drums in general.
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
That's very vague and ambiguous. Yes and no?

Velocity is midi information that represents attack. Samples are recorded with varying attack and arranged in such a way to correspond with velocity. Ei; low velocity value triggers soft attack, higher value>stronger attack.
OK, Yes. But that isnt what we were talking about.

YES, Velocity affects sample selection. BUT they recorded several different samples for all velocities.

Humanize does not affect velocity levels. That's all we were talking about, Humanize. Humanize does not affect velocity levels.

But I also said NO because it is not the only determining factor for what sample is selected. With humanize on, there are several samples at all velocities that get randomly chosen for the hit.

So if you have 2 hits at 127 velocity, you will get 2 different samples that play, at the same velocity.

It isnt that difficult.
Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Nashville & Rock ezx are pretty good. The big kits in Superior are even better IMO. It's really up to the user though, I never go for the hip hop or the weird one's ...but more natural drums in general.
Yeah that's what I'm after too. I this I'll pick up rock and Americana next.

Classic anyone?
Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
OK, Yes. But that isnt what we were talking about.

YES, Velocity affects sample selection. BUT they recorded several different samples for all velocities.

Humanize does not affect velocity levels. That's all we were talking about, Humanize. Humanize does not affect velocity levels.

But I also said NO because it is not the only determining factor for what sample is selected. With humanize on, there are several samples at all velocities that get randomly chosen for the hit.

So if you have 2 hits at 127 velocity, you will get 2 different samples that play, at the same velocity.

It isnt that difficult.
That is not correct. First of all there is not a sample for all 127 velocities. I'm pretty sure there is 16 samples per drum(and in some cases, one area or part of that drum), and there is not more than one sample per a given velocity.

Now I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that all humanize is doing is randomly grabbing a sample before or after what the given velocity would normally dictate and it's basically only useful for people who aren't using a midi controller and actually playing their patterns so that there is "human"-like variation to the hits. I might be wrong about that tho.
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
That is not correct. First of all there is not a sample for all 127 velocities. I'm pretty sure there is 16 samples per drum(and in some cases, one area or part of that drum), and there is not more than one sample per a given velocity.

Now I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that all humanize is doing is randomly grabbing a sample before or after what the given velocity would normally dictate and it's basically only useful for people who aren't using a midi controller and actually playing their patterns so that there is "human"-like variation to the hits. I might be wrong about that tho.
I didn't say there were samples for every individual velocity.

And you are wrong about that function. Humanize would not grab a soft hit and turn up it's volume for a high velocity hit.

I dont even know why I'm trying to have this conversation with you.

Quote:
Hmm... I have noticed that. I usually get 1 that pokes out bad every time I use it.
Humanize does not affect velocity levels. You admittedly dont know a lot about this, so why are you trying to say anything otherwise?

Humanize does not affect velocity levels.
Old 8th January 2015
What does it do then?
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Read my previous posts.

Old 8th January 2015
Quote:
Read my previous posts.

The only things you said other than "Humanize does not affect velocity levels" are complete nonsense. Eg, you said that 2 samples will play for a 127 velocity, which is not true and shows that you are confused about the basic foundational function of the program.

Before we trash this tangent that is of little concern to the OP, does anyone one else know what humanize actually does? Because the only thing I notice from listening to it is that it makes a couple hits(per song) pop out in a way I don't want them to...
Old 8th January 2015
Gear Addict

Work on your reading comprehension
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search