The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kirk Hunter Studios...Am I Hearing Things? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
Here's a little snip of Vienna strings and clarinet in a context you may or may not be interested in-
Honestly, that did absolutely nothing for me. That's the library the poster above said I should consider? It doesn't even sound as good as what I have now.

That has to be the lite version or something, right?
Old 18th January 2015
Gear Head

I do sometimes wonder about concerns to make things as "real" as possible when so much listening is done at MP3 level, and at least in terms of "traditional" orchestral instruments, many, sadly, are fairly clueless about how they actually sound in real life. I wonder if we sometimes extrapolate that since "we" hear the difference "others" will as well, when that may not be the case. OTOH, it seems wiser to consider those who can and do hear the difference.
Old 18th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldar12 View Post
I do sometimes wonder about concerns to make things as "real" as possible when so much listening is done at MP3 level, and at least in terms of "traditional" orchestral instruments, many, sadly, are fairly clueless about how they actually sound in real life. I wonder if we sometimes extrapolate that since "we" hear the difference "others" will as well, when that may not be the case. OTOH, it seems wiser to consider those who can and do hear the difference.
Two things.

1) I played the kovitch 5th symphony 4th movement for my wife who is just your average Joe in the street (doesn't really even love classical music) and asked her to tell me which was the real orchestra and which was the fake. She guessed correctly. So at least she heard a difference. Of course she was also listening on $200 a piece Yamaha monitors.

2) I just went to the VSL site and listened to some pieces. I was incredibly impressed with Prelude For Partita by JS Bach using the Orchestral Strings bundle. I've yet to hear anything sound that good. At 990 Euro, it better sound that good. it's essentially 3x the price of EWQL Hollywood Strings Gold.

Go listen to it and tell me I'm not crazy, that it's really good.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Head

LOL, no need to listen. As a formally trained classical bassist way back in the day, to my ears, the VSL strings are as good as things get for the sound I am after (that doesn't mean other libraries aren't also "good" in their own way).

I suggested the SE versions due to their price point. In terms of VSL, I started with SE, but, as they should be, the full libraries are much better.

As mentioned, "the good stuff" is not cheap, but if I had it to do over again, I would have started with "the good stuff" and skipped "the decent stuff".

In terms of my own preferences I like their orchestral strings, chamber strings, and solo strings, though the cello does strike me as being just a bit nasal. I am more neutral towards their AP strings. I don't have the computer power to even consider running Dimension Strings, which seem to be the most realistic of all according to a number of users on the VSL forums.

Orchestral strings I and II are a good place to start, particularly as one also gets some basic con sordino articulations in the extended portion of the libraries. If budget is a huge issue, even chamber strings can be a decent starting point, depending on primary writing style(s).

As for pricing, their bundle holiday sale has just ended. Typically they offer student discounts somewhere around August-September, and the strings may go on sale again at some point during the year. VSL has a very different marketing model than EW, so libraries are not constantly on sale.

Oh, and as for "realism" some can tell others cannot. My bass luthier actually though some pieces using the VSL solo bass were live recorded, just mixed a little funny (the "funny" was of course due to the limitations of the samples).
Old 19th January 2015
Tui
Gear Guru

Well, I guess "most people" can't tell the difference between a violin and a cello to save their lives. Oboe, Clarinet, English Horn, Flute? Forget it.

"Most people" don't seem to know the difference between an electric bass and a guitar.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
LOL, no need to listen. As a formally trained classical bassist way back in the day, to my ears, the VSL strings are as good as things get for the sound I am after (that doesn't mean other libraries aren't also "good" in their own way).

I suggested the SE versions due to their price point. In terms of VSL, I started with SE, but, as they should be, the full libraries are much better.

As mentioned, "the good stuff" is not cheap, but if I had it to do over again, I would have started with "the good stuff" and skipped "the decent stuff".

In terms of my own preferences I like their orchestral strings, chamber strings, and solo strings, though the cello does strike me as being just a bit nasal. I am more neutral towards their AP strings. I don't have the computer power to even consider running Dimension Strings, which seem to be the most realistic of all according to a number of users on the VSL forums.

Orchestral strings I and II are a good place to start, particularly as one also gets some basic con sordino articulations in the extended portion of the libraries. If budget is a huge issue, even chamber strings can be a decent starting point, depending on primary writing style(s).

As for pricing, their bundle holiday sale has just ended. Typically they offer student discounts somewhere around August-September, and the strings may go on sale again at some point during the year. VSL has a very different marketing model than EW, so libraries are not constantly on sale.

Oh, and as for "realism" some can tell others cannot. My bass luthier actually though some pieces using the VSL solo bass were live recorded, just mixed a little funny (the "funny" was of course due to the limitations of the samples).
If money were no issue and I wanted to write orchestral scores for symphonies and maybe even movies, what would you suggest I get, skipping the "okay" stuff?
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Head

On the movie side can't help much, though Spitfire, LASS and LADD, the various Cinesamples and EW HS series libraries would all be worth exploring (there are others as well). As you did with VSL strings, search, and listen to as many demos as you can to get an idea of what might appeal to you. It seems to me that demos generally highlight what each library does well, so sometimes one can also learn about a library by the types of music that are omitted from any set of demos.

As for the orchestral side, if I had lots of money to spend at once, I would start with the full VSL cube, probably add their choir and solo voices, the Vienna Imperial Piano, and depending on writing style, the various muted string libraries along with AP strings. I would add their entire software package: MIR Pro, VE Pro, VI Pro, and the Vienna Suite. To run all of this, and especially if looking to do very large orchestral arrangements, I would get a computer with say a 5930k processor, at least 32 gigs of RAM, and 3-4 SSD's to hold the different sample libraries, built by a specialized DAW maker (ADK is one company that builds them). I'd also take a look at some of the new Berlin libraries as well.

As for my own experience, my budget remains limited, and I have only been able to put things together slowly, over time, and still have quite a ways to go. I did listen to a lot of demos, though it has been awhile, having settled on the VSL system first as a result of their sound, and although not primary, also the robustness and flexibility of their software (IMO, well beyond what EW's Play can do, for example). A few comments from what I remember: LASS: great concept, decent sound, but not enough articulations, not what I was looking for. Kirk Hunter: didn't like his strings at all, too much bowing attack noise. EW's HS: not what I was looking for sound wise, too heavy computer requirements, also at the time, I found Play to be very lacking (that may have changed by now). Also demoed the older SISS libraries... not bad, but a bit outdated.

Given my limitations, libraries I have actually used: started with GPO, went on to EWQLSO Gold and then Platinum, on to VSL's SE, and then to some of their full libraries, along with continuing to use SE. GPO is straight entry level, and a bargain at its price point, but was entry level quality. In the end, I did not like the strings of EWQLSO: ranges of some were limited, and the sample sound ranged from good to synth-like depending on how I used them. I also strongly disliked the baked-in reverb of EWQLSO Gold - way too much for chamber music. Platinum was somewhat better in terms of reverb, as it had the close microphones as an option. VSL's samples worked for me over a much broader range of compositions.

To reiterate: the advantage of VSL's SE: gets one in the VSL door for moderate funds, provides the "core" of the VSL sound, at least some discounts on future upgrades, the quality of their software, and very moderate computer requirements. The SE 1, 1 Plus, 2 and 2 Plus libraries can easily be loaded into 8 gigs of RAM, and could be successfully run on the old Intel Q9550 processor. With the MIR X plugin, and VE Pro, you would need at least some form of i7, and the minimum spec (not recommended) for MIR Pro is an i7 920.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. Putting together a serious orchestral computer, running high-end samples costs a good chunk of money. OTOH, when you consider the costs of actually renting a symphony orchestra to play and record a piece of music, the costs look much more reasonable.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

I'd add to consider a daw farm and VEPro. Depending on how extensive the op eventually goes.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the movie side can't help much, though Spitfire, LASS and LADD, the various Cinesamples and EW HS series libraries would all be worth exploring (there are others as well). As you did with VSL strings, search, and listen to as many demos as you can to get an idea of what might appeal to you. It seems to me that demos generally highlight what each library does well, so sometimes one can also learn about a library by the types of music that are omitted from any set of demos.

As for the orchestral side, if I had lots of money to spend at once, I would start with the full VSL cube, probably add their choir and solo voices, the Vienna Imperial Piano, and depending on writing style, the various muted string libraries along with AP strings. I would add their entire software package: MIR Pro, VE Pro, VI Pro, and the Vienna Suite. To run all of this, and especially if looking to do very large orchestral arrangements, I would get a computer with say a 5930k processor, at least 32 gigs of RAM, and 3-4 SSD's to hold the different sample libraries, built by a specialized DAW maker (ADK is one company that builds them). I'd also take a look at some of the new Berlin libraries as well.

As for my own experience, my budget remains limited, and I have only been able to put things together slowly, over time, and still have quite a ways to go. I did listen to a lot of demos, though it has been awhile, having settled on the VSL system first as a result of their sound, and although not primary, also the robustness and flexibility of their software (IMO, well beyond what EW's Play can do, for example). A few comments from what I remember: LASS: great concept, decent sound, but not enough articulations, not what I was looking for. Kirk Hunter: didn't like his strings at all, too much bowing attack noise. EW's HS: not what I was looking for sound wise, too heavy computer requirements, also at the time, I found Play to be very lacking (that may have changed by now). Also demoed the older SISS libraries... not bad, but a bit outdated.

Given my limitations, libraries I have actually used: started with GPO, went on to EWQLSO Gold and then Platinum, on to VSL's SE, and then to some of their full libraries, along with continuing to use SE. GPO is straight entry level, and a bargain at its price point, but was entry level quality. In the end, I did not like the strings of EWQLSO: ranges of some were limited, and the sample sound ranged from good to synth-like depending on how I used them. I also strongly disliked the baked-in reverb of EWQLSO Gold - way too much for chamber music. Platinum was somewhat better in terms of reverb, as it had the close microphones as an option. VSL's samples worked for me over a much broader range of compositions.

To reiterate: the advantage of VSL's SE: gets one in the VSL door for moderate funds, provides the "core" of the VSL sound, at least some discounts on future upgrades, the quality of their software, and very moderate computer requirements. The SE 1, 1 Plus, 2 and 2 Plus libraries can easily be loaded into 8 gigs of RAM, and could be successfully run on the old Intel Q9550 processor. With the MIR X plugin, and VE Pro, you would need at least some form of i7, and the minimum spec (not recommended) for MIR Pro is an i7 920.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. Putting together a serious orchestral computer, running high-end samples costs a good chunk of money. OTOH, when you consider the costs of actually renting a symphony orchestra to play and record a piece of music, the costs look much more reasonable.
Thank you so much for the detailed response. i will listen to more demos. I do like the VSL stuff the best of everything I've listened to so far.

Particulars.

Last night I listened to Kirk Hunter (sound is too thin for my taste, at least on the demo), EWQL HS Platinum (better than the Gold that I have but in all honesty, not by that much and not as good as VSL) and of course VSL. I was most impressed with the collection I mentioned above which is only a little over a grand US dollars. That is certainly doable and my PC (Windows 7, Core 3, 16 Gig RAM) should be able to handle it. I'm leaning towards going in that direction based on what I heard, especially that gorgeous Bach piece which sounded as close to real as anything I've ever heard.

After I get my Income Tax Refund check this year I think that's going to be my next purchase.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jster View Post
Wag,

Check out vi-control.net. That's where the serious mock up makers and samples sales reps hang out.

Check out spitfire. Probably the trendiest library. Immediate gratification. Also 8 dio. Also, Berlin is making huge waves these days. LASS is excellent.

A lot comes down to how you work and how exposed the instruments are and what you expect in terms of realism, e.g. are you OK with the use of scripting to achieve certain effects or do you want a library with that exact sound.

For a long time the big issue whether it has true recorded legato and how good is it and for how many instruments.

I use VSL stuff myself, 800 bucks worth. But the full enchilada would cost the better part of 10k. And VSL requires a lot more tweaking than I want. I almost bought LASS. But I got a VSL deal first. If I had it to do over again, I would look for something with more instant gratification. But all the companies look at VSL for pricing "inspiration" and the full Spitfire enchilada would cost the better part of 10k. Check out the vi-control.net classifieds. You can knock 40-50% off the price.

Really need to get super clear on what your needs are. Symphonic? Chamber? Pop? Single Instruments? Wet? Dry? Divisi? Instant Karma? Not so instant Karma?

Really, buying library stuff is kind of like planning your next half dozen vacations. Tons of choices and super easy to blow money. Easy to get caught in tourist traps!

Find LASS used and go from there. That's probably the safest play.
Thanks. This is great stuff.

My needs?

Primarily, I want to write symphonies and have them performed virtually as realistically as possible. IOW, like turning on the radio and listening to WQXR. I've written one 4 movement symphony in Finale that I exported using GPO and quite honestly, the sounds are horrid. But to have Finale export to my DAW and use a premium library would take a major amount of tweaking because of all the articulations that Finale doesn't support. This would mean doubling and even tripling many tracks. The amount of work involved for a 45 minute symphony would be astronomical and probably take me months. If there's a shortcut to this process with a library that also sounds amazing, great. If not, quite honestly, a better library doesn't help me in this area. I need instant export satisfaction based on how the symphony is actually written.

Yeah, I know...good luck with that.

Secondary, to do movie like trailer scores.

Yeah, I know...those are two very different sounds, especially with the big overdriven horns in the movie scores. I have no doubt I would need two completely different libraries for each need.

Anyway, that's essentially what I'm looking for...Shangri La.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jster View Post
My needs are simple enough that I don't get bogged down tweaking too often. This week I actually had to go back and watch videos, read the manual, and email support at VSL. But I'm overall pretty skeptical of the whole sample symphonic thing. I haven't gone to the movies much in the past few decades, but since exploring samples, I finally realized why I have really disliked so many of the trailers and soundtracks that I did manage to hear. In a word, mechanical and bombastic in equal parts.

I'll never be interested in doing trailers. But I could imagine writing a symphony some day. But how it seems like it would take longer to program articulations, dynamics and tempo changes than to write the symphony. Look at Ravel's string quartet. I couldn't imagine programming that and getting acceptable results and that has only four voices. So down the road, I would be inclined just to write the score in Finale with all the markings. I would program it crudely just to get a vague idea how it sounds. And if I really thought it was good, then I would find somebody to program it for me. We call it playing music for a reason. I can think of few things as far from play as heavy MIDI programming. And the result will never be anywhere near as good as live musicians. Nor would we want it to be as it would be yet another blow to our common humanity. At least that's how I see it. Actually, although I use Finale for half of my stuff now, I would probably transition to pencil and paper if I were to try a symphony.

Sorry to hijack your thread. It's just that I haven't seen any real success stories of people programming their own symphonies. A year or two ago I was open minded about the possibility. But now I am pretty skeptical. Polishing a three minute ditty and fooling grandma is one thing. Producing forty five minutes that anybody would actually want to listen to seems literally impossible.
So then given that, buying a strings library to reproduce Mozart like quality (as far as live performance goes) is pretty pointless.

If that's the case, then maybe getting anything other than what I already have is pretty pointless too. I mean how much better is it really going to sound?
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Two things.

1) I played the kovitch 5th symphony 4th movement for my wife who is just your average Joe in the street (doesn't really even love classical music) and asked her to tell me which was the real orchestra and which was the fake. She guessed correctly. So at least she heard a difference. Of course she was also listening on $200 a piece Yamaha monitors.

2) I just went to the VSL site and listened to some pieces. I was incredibly impressed with Prelude For Partita by JS Bach using the Orchestral Strings bundle. I've yet to hear anything sound that good. At 990 Euro, it better sound that good. it's essentially 3x the price of EWQL Hollywood Strings Gold.

Go listen to it and tell me I'm not crazy, that it's really good.
But surely you are not writing pieces in that style? In general, what is the point of writing music that sounds like music people wrote hundreds of years ago better than we ever can?

Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven were so good, we do not need some young composer writing in their styles. To do so, other than as a learning exercise, is hubris, IMHO.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post
But surely you are not writing pieces in that style? In general, what is the point of writing music that sounds like music people wrote hundreds of years ago better than we ever can?

Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven were so good, we do not need some young composer writing in their styles. To do so, other than as a learning exercise, is hubris, IMHO.
Except that's kind of the music I enjoy writing. I have a 45 minute symphony that I'd let you listen to but it sounds like crap being played back through GPO and redoing it in any library, with all the articulations I'd have to manually program, would be a nightmare.

But yes, that's the music I enjoy writing. That and over the top cinema scores.
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
Except that's kind of the music I enjoy writing. I have a 45 minute symphony that I'd let you listen to but it sounds like crap being played back through GPO and redoing it in any library, with all the articulations I'd have to manually program, would be a nightmare.

But yes, that's the music I enjoy writing. That and over the top cinema scores.
I see. But you do realize that kind of writing and "over the top film scores" is a very different sound, correct?

I have no further constructive advice to give you, so I will simply wish you good luck with your endeavors.
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Head

Wagtunes, a few more comments:

Please listen to lots of demos from different libraries. It is easy to spend lots of money on stuff that in the end, one doesn't find helpful. What works for one person, may not work for another.

To get as close to "real" as possible involves lots of detailed computer edits. If one is willing to take the time, one can get much closer to "real" than a quick rough approximation. Time is an issue. For professionals, that is a legitimate concern as when one is earning one's living through composing, and facing tight deadlines, time very much equals money. The overall consensus is that it does take more time to work with VSL libraries. Also, true live, symphonic "real", as others have said, doesn't exist. But, one can get good results.

In terms of writing styles, I suspect you and I overlap considerably. I also sometimes enjoy writing in classical styles. Honestly, it irks me a bit when people disparage those styles, regarding writing like "dead guys", etc. I am not in to film scoring, but it seems that while there truly are some excellent original composers, much of it is people cloning what others are doing. How is that any more "original" than writing in a "dead-guy" style? IMO, it really isn't. I have been advocating the VSL libraries precisely due to their use in "traditional" composition, an interest you clearly have.

If, in the end, you are primarily interested in getting close to "instant" results, VSL probably isn't the best choice.

As others have said, do check out the vi-control forum. Be aware that opinions there are very strong, and geared to the professional market. It is a very good place, and one can learn a great deal there.

From reading your posts, please do a lot more studying and checking out of different company's libraries, before purchasing anything. It is wise to figure out what it is you are seeking to do, first. Most companies do not allow resale of their libraries - once you buy it, it is yours (VSL at least does allow one to resell their libraries under controlled circumstances).
Old 19th January 2015
Gear Head

Jay is quite right in his comment about "different sound". The types of sound libraries used for "over-the-top" film scoring and for "traditional" symphonic composition generally are not the same. As with anything else, the tools need to fit with the project at hand. If film scoring tools comes first, you will probably end up wanting to pursue something other than VSL. You will find VI-control to be most helpful on the film-scoring side.
Old 19th August 2016
DSK
Lives for gear

I find that you buy libraries for the texture.

Then every little thing you do with it depends on the composition itself.

I used to think I have a favorite library for strings.... not so much. Even the less adulated libraries can really save a project when used in a way that serves the composition.

With the midi and audio tools at our disposal, I will repeat the point and say it's pretty much a time and vibe investment in putting the personal emotion and dynamics into these libraries.

But for the sake of clarification, albeit all the libraries are useful to some degree some are way better sounding out of the box ( Metropolis Ark and EW ones are pretty good starters for the more Wagnerian and epic style for example).

As for the Kirk Hunter libraries I can hear a lot of usable sounds and some really gorgeous solo instrument recordings.

The reason I am responding to an old thread is that VSTBuzz is having a massive sale on a huge KH library atm, and at this price and with that content you can't go wrong if you need another layer or just starting up building your orchestral sound library.
Old 19th August 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
With the midi and audio tools at our disposal, I will repeat the point and say it's pretty much a time and vibe investment in putting the personal emotion and dynamics into these libraries.
Agreed. A friend of mine creates incredible string arrangements on his iPad, with free SoundFont libraries.
Old 19th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Agreed. A friend of mine creates incredible string arrangements on his iPad, with free SoundFont libraries.
Tui, one could read this statement in one of two way, or even both if contemplated on different dimensions.
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiKLover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Tui, one could read this statement in one of two way, or even both if contemplated on different dimensions.
I know this is an old thread, but Audio Plugins Deal has all three Kirk Hunter Strings libraries for $99 today, or 92% off. I know nothing about them, but was searching for reviews and found this thread. Deal good for the next 13 days here:

https://audioplugin.deals
Old 9th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post
I know this is an old thread, but Audio Plugins Deal has all three Kirk Hunter Strings libraries for $99 today, or 92% off. I know nothing about them, but was searching for reviews and found this thread. Deal good for the next 13 days here:

KVR has a thread on them in the manufacturer's section under Kirk Hunter. Also check on the VI Control Forums here:

Kirk Hunter Studios | KVR Audio Forum

VI-CONTROL
Old 9th March 2017
Here for the gear
Speaking of realism, just got my upgrade of bohemian violin. Holy bananas. They are doing something special over there at Virharmonic. I got chills more than once just playing around on "improvise" mode. If they keep expanding on that technology and scripting for other libraries, we may get closer than we ever thought possible to the real thing.

Last edited by Sibelius19; 9th March 2017 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Lurker View Post
What is missing is a bunch of human beings who have spent a lifetime practicing their craft listening and reacting to each other. No samples are going to give you that.
We have discovered the Bohemian Violin and Cello from VirHarmonic, and it seems that if you are willing to record enough individual tracks, you can easily achieve a realistic individual-based ensemble sound.

Thoughts?
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

Also -- just checked and this sale seems to still be going one... we snagged it a couple days ago:
Entire SONiVOX Film Score Bundle for $56
Look at the 1st items there....
The first being the Orchestral Companion Strings for $1.
Then the second item is the Film Score Companion Upgrade for $55, which is available for just buying the first item above for $1.
That gets you an entire Orchestra bundle for $56.
Now think about this:

Perhaps since the Bohemian Violin and Cello sound so good for "solo" parts, then the SONiVOX Strings should suffice for ensemble parts, achieving what the Kirk Hunter stuff does -- even if it is sans the Divisi and the Looseness features.

-
Old 11th March 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNielsen View Post

Came here too with the same goal, but got a lot of info at other forums in the meantime and already downloaded Kirk Hunter Concert Strings 3, which is a very useful library indeed, definitely at that low price. Nice to add character. Love it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sorry to revive this thread once again but I see that EW Hollywood Orchestra Gold is on sale at VSTBuzz for around $260 USD and KH Diamond Symphony Orchestra is on sale for $75 USD. What I can't find is are these both 64 bit as I use Cubase Pro 9.5?

Any other thoughts concerning the two?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
Sorry to revive this thread once again but I see that EW Hollywood Orchestra Gold is on sale at VSTBuzz for around $260 USD and KH Diamond Symphony Orchestra is on sale for $75 USD. What I can't find is are these both 64 bit as I use Cubase Pro 9.5?

Any other thoughts concerning the two?
I noticed that offer, too.
Basicly EW quality is good, some earlier comments what I´ve noticed, point that the quality of the EWH Gold is uneven: some sections, such as winds, are not that brilliant.

It all depends what you own earlier, and what kind of music you write.
My policy concerning the orchestral libraries, has been to purchase separate good quality solo instruments, or chamber libraries, rather than full orchestra sets.

I just purchased the KH Diamond, for the use when I occasionally need full orchestra power in my writing.

Obviously the KH Diamond is an "economy library" -it has some really well sampled sections, some great innovations, a lot of stuff. To get best out of it, takes time, trial-and-error, because it has not integrated interface. It doesn´t have huge amount of instrument articulations, but the overall quality and sound of samples are beatiful. Some sections, such as percussions, and some wind instruments, are less succesful. There are some strange artefacts.
But you can avoid all these, if you use your ears, and have time.

I don´t think, that after what I own already, the EWH Gold will bring that much additional quality, that I would invest in it.
I will purchase an other symphony percussion library in the near future, but it must be more versatile the the EWH Gold percussions offer.

Same concerns the winds. Strings are nice in the EWH Gold, but nothing superb. I have Chirs Hein and NI brass libraries.

But as said in this thread, there are several, really high quality special orchestral library products and developers in the market. Rather pick up someting really special, brilliant, than a lot of mediocre stuff.
But then again, it all depends your own needs and taste.

Last edited by Harry_O; 1 week ago at 07:44 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
I appreciate the response. Are they both 64 bit?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewire View Post
I appreciate the response. Are they both 64 bit?
KH is a Kontakt (i.e. you need the Kontakt full) library, EWH Gold has the EW Play. Both are 64 bit vst.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry_O View Post
KH is a Kontakt (i.e. you need the Kontakt full) library, EWH Gold has the EW Play. Both are 64 bit vst.
Cool. Thanks. Didn't realize KH was a Kontakt library. I was just scanning it quickly looking for 64 bit. Think I'll go ahead and get it. Sale's almost over and it's very inexpensive.

I've got time to think on the EW. Now that you mention it I do remember comments about EW Play in the large EW thread awhile back. I'd forgotten about that.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search