The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations
Old 21st December 2014
Here for the gear

Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations

I want slowly went to mix ITB-only and search for an Transient Tool and want to know whcih you prefer and why?

happy holidays
Old 21st December 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Waves Trans-X. It offers the greatest amount of control while still sounding natural.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
i tried the one in DCAM Dynamics, it was fantastic
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Maniac

Schaak Transient Shaper is my personal favorite!
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Schaak Transient Shaper is my personal favorite!
+1 the Drive knob does amazing things.
Old 22nd December 2014
Old 22nd December 2014
Flux BitterSweet. It's FREE
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Nut

The brainworx/SPL transient designer is simple as it gets and sounds great.

I've been using Sonnox Transmod recently though - more options to shape the sound (frequency dependency, drive, transient timing, etc)

DMG compassion has a transient designer built in which does the job as well.

I trialed the flux one against the first 2 and it didn't compare favourably. reduced to erratic, unpleasant spitting on some sources that the others tackled fine
Old 22nd December 2014
I use the plugin allience SPL , sounds good from -3b to +3b , but nothing like the hardware
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Maniac

Has anyone compared the ................,

Native Instruments (Transient Master) ...., V.s ...., the; Plugin Alliance SPL (Transient Designer) ???
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam_green View Post
Has anyone compared the ................,

Native Instruments (Transient Master) ...., V.s ...., the; Plugin Alliance SPL (Transient Designer) ???

Yes, I have tried all of the above and every other transient shaper on the market. Demo'd all of them.

I settled for the one from Waves for its easy of use but most of all the great sound.

I must say that the Dcam one sound very, very good. But I didn't feel like buying a whole dynamics pack (including all compressors) that I simply do not need just to get the transient plugin. So.. Waves.
Old 22nd December 2014
I find the multi-band shaper in Alloy2 to work very well
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Waves Trans-X. It offers the greatest amount of control while still sounding natural.
so wait a second... Waves Trans-X only allows control of transient?.. but not sustain/decay??

SPL's allows control of transient and sustain...

1) So, what do you (or anyone else) use for altering the decay portion of sounds if you have Trans-X?

2) as for Sonnox's Transient Mod... that to is only able to shape transients, but not decay/sustain... right?
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

I have many, but among the ones which are directly based around SPL Transient Designer (with attack and sustain controls) I prefer NI Transient Master over Plugin Alliance SPL and UAD SPL. So as far as sustain portion of the transient designer is concerned, I think NI one is the best. Same goes for attack, though for shaping transient attack I prefer Sonnox Transmod over all.
Old 22nd December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
I have many, but among the ones which are directly based around SPL Transient Designer (with attack and sustain controls) I prefer NI Transient Master over Plugin Alliance SPL and UAD SPL. So as far as sustain portion of the transient designer is concerned, I think NI one is the best. Same goes for attack, though for shaping transient attack I prefer Sonnox Transmod over all.
okay.. so sonnox really is ONLY for transient, but not decay...?
so if a person bought either Trans-X or Transmod, they'd still need some kinda plugin if they dersired the option to alter sustain portion of sounds?.. so in other words might still have to get something like SPL's, NI's, or one of those free ones (like Bittersweet or Sleepytimes)?
Old 22nd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by penumbra View Post
okay.. so sonnox really is ONLY for transient, but not decay...?
so if a person bought either Trans-X or Transmod, they'd still need some kinda plugin if they dersired the option to alter sustain portion of sounds?.. so in other words might still have to get something like SPL's, NI's, or one of those free ones (like Bittersweet or Sleepytimes)?
Yes Sonnox deals only with transients, yes. To have a perfect combo I would suggest Sonnox and NI Transient Master. If you don't need such a surgical control over transients just take NI Transient Master and call it a day
Old 23rd December 2014
Quote:
so wait a second... Waves Trans-X only allows control of transient?.. but not sustain/decay??
Trans-X has a Release feature that works comparable to sustain. Here's a snippet from the manual:

Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations-transx.png
Attached Thumbnails
Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations-transx.png  
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes Sonnox deals only with transients, yes. To have a perfect combo I would suggest Sonnox and NI Transient Master. If you don't need such a surgical control over transients just take NI Transient Master and call it a day
Cheers for the advice Jantex , I already have N.I Transient master ,

Im steering clear of anything from waves ...,

You suggest N.I does a better job than SPL - in what ways ?
(usually id demo this for myself , but honestly dont have time before their mad plugin sale on 31st dec)
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cheers for the advice Jantex , I already have N.I Transient master ,

Im steering clear of anything from waves ...,

You suggest N.I does a better job than SSL - in what ways ?
(usually id demo this for myself , but honestly dont have time before their mad plugin sale on 31st dec)
SSL? I don't know about SSL having any transient designer, but if you mean Sonnox, yes it is great! If you need a detailed control over attack, then that's it
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

I'd have to agree with the Waves Trans-X.

Trans-X -Transient Shaper Plugin | Waves
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Head

Wink

Sonnox is the best for producing more transient (imo) it keeps the rest of the waveform sounding good
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
1) So, what do you (or anyone else) use for altering the decay portion of sounds if you have Trans-X?
The volume fader?

I have used or tested plenty of transient / envelope shapers but recently I've been having good results from the new multi-band envelope shaper in Cubase 8.

Alistair
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the Stillwell Transient Monster. Very, very easy to dial in sounds, and dirt cheap.
Old 24th December 2014
the one from eareckon I thought was quite good

TransReckon - Transient Shaper
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Nut

My go to is alloy2 for transients mostly because of the multiband function
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear
Earreckon for the win
Old 24th December 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
SSL? I don't know about SSL having any transient designer, but if you mean Sonnox, yes it is great! If you need a detailed control over attack, then that's it
typo sorry ..., SPL ....., the one you commented on
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
typo sorry ..., SPL ....., the one you commented on
NI version is slightly fatter on the transient section and much better with sustain section. Soundwise it is more similar to UAD version but IMHO slightly better.
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear

Like a few others here I've been through most transient designers on the market, and to be honest they are all pretty good - except for the built in enveloper in Logic (not great) and Bittersweet which never quite cut it for me - but pretty much any of the ones mentioned above will do the job . . . . for me the one I turn to the most is the transient designer in Alloy 2, for me it's not only the easiest to use, but sounds great and is multi band, I also use the UAD SPL occasionally, but Alloy 2 would still be my recommendation.
Old 26th December 2014
$25.86 right now for Waves Trans-X is a good deal.
(audiodeluxe.com)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search