The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Transient Shaper / Designer: You recommendations
Old 26th December 2014
Lives for gear

Metric Halo is my favourite by far.
Old 26th December 2014
Gear Addict

I like Voxengo TransGainer
Old 26th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrik View Post
$25.86 right now for Waves Trans-X is a good deal.
(audiodeluxe.com)
thanks might try that waves one...problem I find with some transient shapers is they sound harsh and produce a unpleasant transient...dont like the NI Transient Master...the shaack audio one is quite good tho...the demo of the waves one sounded musical so will try it later...
Old 26th December 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
...problem I find with some transient shapers is they sound harsh and produce a unpleasant transient...
When I started out ITB years ago, I remember thinking how those transient shapers sounded awful. Years went by without using those tools because of that. Then the other day, I read a thread where James Lugo asks for slamming drum tricks. Trans-X was mentioned and I tried it. Instant success on snare top mic. Then I tried it on drum overheads. Same success, I couldn't believe it. I don't know what happened between then and now, but I just bought the thing, because I know it will help me mix drums, now relying less on augmented drum samples. I also tried it on a dead sounding bass guitar recording. It did awesome.

I'm not saying you are misusing those transient shapers and making them sound bad. Not at all. But apparently I have changed my mind about these tools, either because I've gotten better at dialing them in or my ears are shot and can't hear how bad it sounds anymore.
Old 27th December 2014
Quote:
When I started out ITB years ago, I remember thinking how those transient shapers sounded awful. Years went by without using those tools because of that. Then the other day, I read a thread where James Lugo asks for slamming drum tricks. Trans-X was mentioned and I tried it. Instant success on snare top mic. Then I tried it on drum overheads. Same success, I couldn't believe it. I don't know what happened between then and now, but I just bought the thing, because I know it will help me mix drums, now relying less on augmented drum samples. I also tried it on a dead sounding bass guitar recording. It did awesome.

I'm not saying you are misusing those transient shapers and making them sound bad. Not at all. But apparently I have changed my mind about these tools, either because I've gotten better at dialing them in or my ears are shot and can't hear how bad it sounds anymore.
no this one is good for sure...esp the multiband...it really is quite nice...Im surprised....for $25 I grabbed it...
Old 29th December 2014
FNM
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosejaw View Post
I like Voxengo TransGainer
Anyone compared Trans-X to the Voxengo TransGainer? I will demo both but I have little time while they are on sale and was curious if anyone had any insight to pro's and con's for each so I can go into my demo time a little more focused on what to check out.
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
$25.86 right now for Waves Trans-X is a good deal.
(audiodeluxe.com)

...or $29 straight from Waves ????
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

Picked up Trans X a few days ago. If I'd known how good it was, I would've
bought it years ago! Works great on snare and bass guit. so far, really love it.
$29.00 is amazing.
Old 31st December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Picked up Trans X a few days ago. If I'd known how good it was, I would've
bought it years ago! Works great on snare and bass guit. so far, really love it.
$29.00 is amazing.
On bass?! Never tried it. Thanks for the tip,
Old 14th January 2015
Guys that bought (or have) the Waves Trans-X - please have a look at this thread and let me know if you are seeing the same issue:

Waves bug? Trans-X Multi polarity change
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Some more satisfied customers. Waves must be grinning like the Cheashire Cat!!
Old 15th January 2015
Gear Addict

Pardon my ignorance but could someone define transient shaper for me? How is it different than a limiter?
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Transient Designer...
If I'm not mistaken, a rough description:

3 signal paths.
2 of them Envelope detectors in parallel.
1 fixed parameter, one variable.
The output signals will remain the same except a "spike" will appear whenever the signal changes abruptly within a certain range - reflecting the difference in lag between the detectors.
As Attack is adjusted, a discrepancy between the output voltages appears and can be adjusted according to the control set. One signal is subtracted from the other to create a control signal sent to a VCA.
The VCA on the 3rd signal path will boost at that point. Release parameters are adjustable in most designs too.

It's IMHO one of the coolest ideas in recent (relatively) processing.

Last edited by Grant Ransom; 15th January 2015 at 03:30 PM..
Old 15th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontariomaximus View Post
Pardon my ignorance but could someone define transient shaper for me? How is it different than a limiter?
A limiter reduces the level of a signal above a certain threshold, giving similar (or possibly the same) behaviour as a compressor with fast attack and high ratio. A transient shaper uses different techniques to identify the initial transient (or attack) portion sounds regardless of their level (or volume), and then allows you to boost or cut just the attack and/or sustain portions of the sound.

This short video should give you a good idea of the behaviour of a transient shaper and how you might use one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KE79pam8QQ
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantex View Post
SSL? I don't know about SSL having any transient designer, but if you mean Sonnox, yes it is great! If you need a detailed control over attack, then that's it
There is 1 in their drum strip plugin.
Old 15th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
the one from eareckon I thought was quite good

TransReckon - Transient Shaper
Damn, that thing looks awesome, gonna have to try that out!
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

The way the Waves Trans-X works is it essentially allows Wideband and Multiband operation which introduces no phase issues.

You can set a Duration window and the Sensitivity which sort of works like a Threshold. But between setting custom bands and attack duration it pretty much allows for just about any tricky scenario.

You can use the low band to add more throb to the sub, or more crack to a snare if you use a higher band. I'm pretty sure you can use it to reduce any transient information as well.
Old 22nd January 2015
Lives for gear

As i can imagine, there was no transient designers in tape era, tape eats/smashes excessive transients so we can live with them (without them, actually). Am i right? If it is so, than why we just dont use tape sims to get rid of excessive transients?

Personally, i do not use any shapers, however i use tapesims, slew limiters/HF limiters and when recording just position mics the way i do not have excessive transients - far from source... It's not working for modern rock/pop, but i prefer do not record or mix it )
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
As i can imagine, there was no transient designers in tape era, tape eats/smashes excessive transients so we can live with them (without them, actually). Am i right? If it is so, than why we just dont use tape sims to get rid of excessive transients?

Personally, i do not use any shapers, however i use tapesims, slew limiters/HF limiters and when recording just position mics the way i do not have excessive transients - far from source... It's not working for modern rock/pop, but i prefer do not record or mix it )
Absolutely we can use a tape emulation, but it is limited in its application.

You may not nessesarily what the added harmonics particularly if you are going for clean and transparent.
If you want to enhance the intelligibility of a signal then tapes won't be much good for that either.
Transient shapers allow you to both add or subtract to the sounds attack giving you much more flexibility.
In cases like the multiband mode of Trans-X you should be able to use it for other takes like dessing if it's set up properly.

So yeah, there are a few instances where shaping transients is the way to go, but for some of the other instances you could still wack an emulation like theJ37 on the signal and get very pleasing results.
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Nut

Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear
DCAM Envelope Shaper
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search