The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Legacy Collection On Sale Arrrrggggghhhhh
Old 20th December 2014
Korg Legacy Collection On Sale Arrrrggggghhhhh

Just when I thought I was done buying stuff...arghhhh.

I just found out from KVR Deals that the Korg Legacy Collection is on sale until December 31.

I'm most interested in the MS 20, though I did own a Wavestation at one time and also the Poly 61 which came after the Poly 6.

Back in the old days, I had a love hate relationship with the MS 20. Every time I'd go to my local music store, where it was constantly on display never to be bought, I hated the way it looked but loved the way it sound. I just couldn't bring myself to buy such an ugly cheap looking synth.

Well, I'm over that stupidity. Question is, does anybody have the MS 20 VST? How good does it sound? I'd figure if ANYBODY would do this right it would be Korg itself.

I realize it's not going to sound exactly like the hardware version but how close is it? If the Wavestation and Poly 6 are also close enough to the originals, it's worth picking up the whole collection for a mere $99. And it's all 64 bit compatible now so that's a HUGE plus.

I'm only looking for people who actually have experience with the collection to respond. Anything else is just opinion based on hearsay and doesn't help. I need people who have actually used this stuff.

Worth it or not?
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Head

I don't have MS20 or Poly so I cannot speak to those plugins.

I have M1, Wavestation and the effects.

they are actuate recreations of the hardware, they sound amazing and it's great that the plugins let you see and program if you need to because the originals had small LED displays that and buried menu structures that were a pain to program.

some will say that the a/d of the hardware adds character not found in the plugins and that the plugins sound too clean or crisp.

I think they are amazing plugins great cause you can download patches from the internet that used to cost hundreds per bank, tons of sound patchs at your figure tips. sound is amazing and the price is cheap even when not on sale.

the bundle is great if you want all those plugins and you get the sample cell plugin which only comes in the bundle. I don't have the Cell thingy so I dont' know anything about it nor what I might be missing.

totally worth it
Old 21st December 2014
OMG...That MS 20 is unbelievable. It is so faithful to the hardware version. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to activate the momentary switch from my keyboard since my Axiom doesn't have a momentary switch like the actual MS 20 has. Tomorrow I'm going to comb the Internet to see if there's anything on this as the manual doesn't even have anything.

I should have kind of figured that this feature might require some hoops (maybe assigning a CC control through one of my Axiom sliders) to get it to work.

Either way, this thing is addicting as hell and will probably keep me from getting any work done for a while.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
I'm most interested in the MS 20, though I did own a Wavestation at one time and also the Poly 61 which came after the Poly 6.
Worth it or not?
I had an MS20 on loan for a year or two a while back. I've also had the full Legacy collection for a couple of years.

I would say that it is pretty damn spot on. I doubt any one could tell the difference in a double blind test. Though I am sure that many will say they could.

However, the consensus seems to be that the Legacy collection is one of the best 'emulations' ever.

If you had the original Wavestation, it didn't have a resonant filter. That has been added in the software now.

The M1 is pretty awesome too coming with thousands of sounds and being 8 part multi-timbral. I use it as a drum rompler. It's got a few banks of Akai MPC samples or something like that. Some real nice drums, from authentic (ish) snares to standard boombox fare. I find they need a bit of a boost on the bus to make them compete with other drums in a mix, but that is easily achieved.

Just be prepared for small gui sizes. A bit of a pain.

The Legacy cell itself, combining both the PolySix and MS20 with a couple of MDE-X multi-fx is a real gem. I'll just say what everyone says here - shame you can't combine the other synths in it too. The MDE-X is a great processor with some very nice reverb algos that are very very light on cpu. Again, the interface is tiny, so be prepared for that.

All in all, for the money, the package you get and the quality of the massive banks of samples, is pretty unrivalled I would say. I mean, I got the entire collection for just over sixty quid. I'm not aware of anything that can compete with that.

They are a little thirsty on the cpu, but you probably have more than enough juice if you have a computer bought/built in the last few years.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear
Are these the same plug-ins that have been around for over 10 years? I remember they were the 1st ones that sounded good.
Old 21st December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineClaw View Post
I have M1, Wavestation and the effects.

they are actuate recreations of the hardware, they sound amazing and it's great that the plugins let you see and program if you need to because the originals had small LED displays that and buried menu structures that were a pain to program.
Forgot to say I used an M1 a way back in a friend's studio where I lived for a bit. I doubt many people will argue it doesn't sound like the original. Go to the Korg user site - there is a free collection of soundbanks there with thousands of sounds iirc. Or was it the Wavestation? There used to be both, but one of them got pulled for copyright or something. Anyway, you can find other sysex patches around the place that they read, being faithful emulations.

All I care about is that they sound amazingly good, and if they are 'off' by an inch or two compared to the originals, that doesn't worry me.
Old 21st December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
Are these the same plug-ins that have been around for over 10 years? I remember they were the 1st ones that sounded good.
Yeah that's right. They originally used dongles or something like that. But many people made an exception for them because up until then, no other synth had been recreated so faithfully in software. It kind of put the whole argument to bed after that. It was possible! Albeit at the cost of a bit of extra cpu.

Plus รงa change.

I just rendered out a loop using Diva. No way was my old laptop having that on top of everything else. It brought it to its knees. But what a sound!

And they didn't have all the synths in one bundle either, with there being an Analog and a Digital collection, again, iirc.

I'd buy it all over again and pay double the price if they just updated (enlarged) those bloody tiny guis. But it won't happen.
Old 21st December 2014
Gear Maniac

The plugin size is tiny and hurts my eyes. If they could make the ui twice as big I'd be happy. Great plugins though.
Old 21st December 2014
Lives for gear

$99 seems like a good deal. You don't hear about the legacy collection much anymore.
Old 21st December 2014
Pip
Lives for gear

Use the wavestation yesterday - get them, well worth it.
Old 21st December 2014
After going through everything, the Wavestation is scary accurate. I absolutely cannot tell it from the original. But yeah, the GUI sizes are a nightmare. Thank goodness the MS 20 in edit mode isn't too bad and is actually programmable. The others, forget it. Shame, because they all sound so good. Still for $99 I can't complain.
Old 28th December 2014
Gear Addict

Awesome buy, no dongle. Couple of days left on that deal.
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear

One of the few vsts I regularly use. Love em.
Old 28th December 2014
This stuff is pretty oldschool. Is there a place for them in todays music? Reminds me of early breakdance music. A little on the cheesy side. Cant hear anything like this on the radio today.
Old 28th December 2014
I bought the iMS20. Sounds really good. Don't know how it compares to the plugin, but can't complain for 20 bucks.
Old 28th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post
This stuff is pretty oldschool. Is there a place for them in todays music? Reminds me of early breakdance music. A little on the cheesy side. Cant hear anything like this on the radio today.
You listen to radio? :p You'll always find a place in your music from this collection whether it be a synth bass, drum synth, lush pads, arpeggios or phat leads, you just have to be clever about it ie. avoid the obvious hit patches, I doubt anyone would use the Wavestation "wave police" preset for Rhianna or Adelle. Even if you couldn't find use for them which is unlikely you could justify the price for the MDE-X effects alone. imo
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbas View Post
You listen to radio? :p You'll always find a place in your music from this collection whether it be a synth bass, drum synth, lush pads, arpeggios or phat leads, you just have to be clever about it ie. avoid the obvious hit patches, I doubt anyone would use the Wavestation "wave police" preset for Rhianna or Adelle. Even if you couldn't find use for them which is unlikely you could justify the price for the MDE-X effects alone. imo

This violin thing is pretty oldschool. Is there a place for them in todays music? Reminds me of early paganini music. A little on the cheesy side. Cant hear anything like this on the radio today.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinh222 View Post

Sounds like my kinda thing Curious which synth were you referring to?

I notice the M1 includes the sounds form all the various cards. Does the WAveStation as well?
Old 28th December 2014
Lives for gear
Crap, I am so bummed that I can't use these with Pro Tools 11. :(
Quote:
Sounds like my kinda thing Curious which synth were you referring to?

I notice the M1 includes the sounds form all the various cards. Does the WAveStation as well?
The Wavestation has RAM and ROM banks that I don't even remember. I had maybe 4 or 5 of these.

It's really loaded and worth every penny if you're a Wavestation lover.

The scary part is, I really can't tell the difference between the hardware WS and this thing. They did a really great job.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
The scary part is, I really can't tell the difference between the hardware WS and this thing. They did a really great job.
Great to hear! I used to love the Wavestation SR back in the day.

You can hear it all over this tune I made in '92:

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music
Quote:
Great to hear! I used to love the Wavestation SR back in the day.

You can hear it all over this tune I made in '92:

Grooveshark - Free Music Streaming, Online Music
Oh boy do I recognize it. That airy sound is unmistakable. Very well done.
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Nut

Picked up the M1 only. Wanted that one so bad for so long. Was like $25 on sale so had to grab that.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

I've only played around with this group but having owned a PolySix, I must say the emulation is spot on at least for that device.
Scary in fact...
Well done.
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I've only played around with this group but having owned a PolySix, I must say the emulation is spot on at least for that device.
Scary in fact...
Well done.
They're all like that. But the WS and the MS 20 are just scary real. The MS 20 is very addicting.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Hi these products work well on a windows tablet!
I got pretty stable results in stand alone mode.
And the wave station I think you can graph CPU usage and if you don't layer many sounds its stable.

I mean come on a tablet PC with no sound card and a Midi keyboard!
WIN!

Very CPU friendly.
Old 29th December 2014
Gear Head
I've been piecing these together over the years when I could afford them. The first one I bought was the M1 and I was completely blown away at how big it sounded. I've never used the original hardware versions, but all of these plugins have amazing sound.

The M1 and Wavestation comes with the sample and memory cards, so you get a ton of sounds with them.

My only issue is browsing the presets on the MS-20 and the Polysix. You have to load a bank which gives you about 30 or so presets. You can download more banks for additional presets, but it's kind of a pain.

The size of some of the GUI's is a pain. I would like to see the patch bay of the MS-20 a little larger. It's useable, but could be a bit more user-friendly.

If you have any interest in these synths, I can't recommend this collection enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus00 View Post
I've been piecing these together over the years when I could afford them. The first one I bought was the M1 and I was completely blown away at how big it sounded. I've never used the original hardware versions, but all of these plugins have amazing sound.

The M1 and Wavestation comes with the sample and memory cards, so you get a ton of sounds with them.

My only issue is browsing the presets on the MS-20 and the Polysix. You have to load a bank which gives you about 30 or so presets. You can download more banks for additional presets, but it's kind of a pain.

The size of some of the GUI's is a pain. I would like to see the patch bay of the MS-20 a little larger. It's useable, but could be a bit more user-friendly.

If you have any interest in these synths, I can't recommend this collection enough.
Yeah, the interfaces, sadly, are as bad as Arturia's. Some are so small I don't even bother to program them. I just use the presets. The MS 20 in edit mode is okay though, which is really all I care about because that's my workhorse for programming. I could literally spend all day on that thing. The filters are off the charts amazing and the patch panel is simply a candy store for kids.

Probably the most fun I've had with a synth, hard or soft, in 35 years.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Crap, I am so bummed that I can't use these with Pro Tools 11. :(
I contacted Korg about AAX on the Legacy collection and they said, "not at the moment but maybe later on"
Korg will eventually do itโ€ฆ. i think.
Other than that, you could use Blue Cat`s host. Got no experience with it though.

Michael Jackson used the Korg stuff sometimes.
I know he did something with one of the Wavestation preset

link
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-...vestation.html
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Are these 64bit AUs or just VST? The Korg website is skimpy on technical details.
๐Ÿ“ Reply