The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg Legacy Collection On Sale Arrrrggggghhhhh
Old 29th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
I contacted Korg about AAX on the Legacy collection and they said, "not at the moment but maybe later on"
Korg will eventually do it…. i think.
Other than that, you could use Blue Cat`s host. Got no experience with it though.
I'll email them as well. Maybe if enough of us bug them.

So I think I'm getting the Wavestation and M1. Seems hard to go wrong for $50.
Old 30th December 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
I'll email them as well. Maybe if enough of us bug them.

Definitely not. They both sound great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagtunes View Post
The MS 20 in edit mode is okay though, which is really all I care about because that's my workhorse for programming. I could literally spend all day on that thing. The filters are off the charts amazing and the patch panel is simply a candy store for kids.

Probably the most fun I've had with a synth, hard or soft, in 35 years.
I've been trying to wrap my head around the patch bay of the MS-20. I feel like I am getting a grasp on it a little bit after reading the original manuals, but my brain doesn't want to fully grasp it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus00 View Post
Definitely not. They both sound great.

I've been trying to wrap my head around the patch bay of the MS-20. I feel like I am getting a grasp on it a little bit after reading the original manuals, but my brain doesn't want to fully grasp it.
It can be a little confusing at first but keep at it. Having module synth experience does help because it helps you understand how things actually connect. Relatively speaking, the MS 20 is simple in that respect. In other respects it's not so simple because it's also limited compared to a totally open ended system. That's where I sometimes get frustrated because I want to do things that on a fill blown modular are easy but on this thing they're not because you don't have as many patch routings available. That's when you have to think outside the box.

I'm thinking of maybe creating a video tutorial and putting it up on YouTube, if I ever get the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazer Toms View Post
Yep…. $25 each until Dec 31st
Its worth it and i,m sure they will go AAX
Old 30th December 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DAMN..I wanted the M1..looks like its not AAX yet..thats sucks!
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It can be a little confusing at first but keep at it. Having module synth experience does help because it helps you understand how things actually connect. Relatively speaking, the MS 20 is simple in that respect. In other respects it's not so simple because it's also limited compared to a totally open ended system. That's where I sometimes get frustrated because I want to do things that on a fill blown modular are easy but on this thing they're not because you don't have as many patch routings available. That's when you have to think outside the box.

I'm thinking of maybe creating a video tutorial and putting it up on YouTube, if I ever get the time.
The walk through on AutomaticGainsay's YouTube channel has been really helpful. I watched it a while ago and it was pretty helpful but a lot went over my head. As I've gotten more into sound design and just watched it again, it made a lot more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3721AB90972CB5

The biggest issue for me is understanding what can be plugged into what. I forgot about the part about having to turn up the EG/MG knobs in order to get the effect of the patch to work. I've patched stuff before and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound... That's probably why.

Next up... ARP2600 V.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus00 View Post
The walk through on AutomaticGainsay's YouTube channel has been really helpful. I watched it a while ago and it was pretty helpful but a lot went over my head. As I've gotten more into sound design and just watched it again, it made a lot more sense.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3721AB90972CB5

The biggest issue for me is understanding what can be plugged into what. I forgot about the part about having to turn up the EG/MG knobs in order to get the effect of the patch to work. I've patched stuff before and couldn't figure out why I wasn't getting any sound... That's probably why.

Next up... ARP2600 V.
Warning about the 2600 V. The interface is horribly small. You'll have a difficult if not impossible time trying to program it unless you have every connection slot memorized. I'm working on looking at schematics to do just that but it's going to take a while at my age.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Warning about the 2600 V. The interface is horribly small. You'll have a difficult if not impossible time trying to program it unless you have every connection slot memorized. I'm working on looking at schematics to do just that but it's going to take a while at my age.
Yeah, I have the V Collection and have played around with it a little bit. I've tried a few patching techniques and it seems to be a lot easier to understand so far, but yeah, this along with pretty much other Arturia's software GUI is horribly small... They're frustrating to get into.
Old 5th January 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Dammit I missed this. How often does the Legacy Collection go on sale?
Old 5th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Honestly, the only time I really remember is over the holidays.

If you get desperate, it's not too bad to piece it together. That's what I did... Some I bought on sale, others I picked up when I had a few extra bucks and was looking for something new. At the $50 regular price, you're not breaking the bank by going that route. Plus, they are definitely worth the regular price which makes the a steal at the sale price.
Old 1st March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So for $200 you get 6 from Korg and for $400 you get 13 from Arturia. Anyone has both? Were you able to compare? What was the CPU usage and quality like? Do they compare or are they totally different?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
So for $200 you get 6 from Korg and for $400 you get 13 from Arturia. Anyone has both? Were you able to compare? What was the CPU usage and quality like? Do they compare or are they totally different?
I have both. Totally different.

Korg is a mix of analog and digital synths. The M1 and Wavestations are (and should be) dead on since they have the samples from the originals.

Both are pretty faithful to the analog originals. Korg is lighter on CPU. Korg MonoPoly is greatly enhanced over the original in a good way (polyphony, effects, etc.). Korg's patch banking makes patch access limited over Arturia.

The "shell" that Arturia uses to house their synths has the feel of a poor port from another system to me. The synth interfaces themselves are good, but accessing patches etc. through the shell feels clunky.

For variety, I suggest the Korg, since you get 3 distinct technologies with M1, Wavestation and the analog synths.

If you are a vintage analog buff, the Arturia bundle has more desirable emulations.

If you were to compare the actual hardware value, the Korg collection would not have much value but the Arturia collection would cost a small fortune.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgastineau View Post
I have both. Totally different.

Korg is a mix of analog and digital synths. The M1 and Wavestations are (and should be) dead on since they have the samples from the originals.

Both are pretty faithful to the analog originals. Korg is lighter on CPU. Korg MonoPoly is greatly enhanced over the original in a good way (polyphony, effects, etc.). Korg's patch banking makes patch access limited over Arturia.

The "shell" that Arturia uses to house their synths has the feel of a poor port from another system to me. The synth interfaces themselves are good, but accessing patches etc. through the shell feels clunky.

For variety, I suggest the Korg, since you get 3 distinct technologies with M1, Wavestation and the analog synths.

If you are a vintage analog buff, the Arturia bundle has more desirable emulations.

If you were to compare the actual hardware value, the Korg collection would not have much value but the Arturia collection would cost a small fortune.
Thanks. I am not that much of a vintage buff. Just looking around for a new keybrd and controller. Looking at the Korg taktile 49 looks interesting.
Old 2nd March 2015
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I got the LE version of the Korg suite with a Nanopad 2 and upgraded it to the full bundle when they had this sale, no regrets there. I sold my Arturia stuff long long ago, a huge % of their code when I was using their tools seemed replicated across models that emulated entirely different manufacturers. CS80 for instance had some parts that were obviously identical to the minimoog & moog modular emulations. SoS reviewers had similar experiences back when this software was new as well. Some of that was addressed over the years, but I never felt like Arturia was making spot-on emulations as much as they were just giving people your typical software instrument experience with a workflow and UI that was 'similar to' the machines they were emulating. The CPU usage wasn't deserved imho, and in contrast U-he's emulations absolutely cane your cpu but feel extremely well worth it in use both in terms of responsiveness to playing and sound quality on higher settings. Korg's cpu usage is almost nil in comparison, and yet I'm happy enough with the Wavestation emulation to have stopped looking for hardware (I think the software sounds 'clearer' than the keybed version I've played with too...mostly due to running on modern converters & 32bit FLT mixing engines I'm sure). However I should note that I've little need for another 'VA' style synth, be it plugin or hardware, so Arturia was never 'needed' here anymore than I 'need' the PolySix or MS20 emulations from Korg. I love the Wavestation (always have) for its internal wave sequencing, and the M1 gives you classic sounds galore with an incredible ease of use. I no longer feel tempted when I see an M1 or M3 on craigslist...
Old 2nd March 2015
TGV
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
64 bit AU. Works fine in Logic 10 and Yosemite.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sales on again. How do these hold up in 2016?
Old 18th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pichi View Post
Sales on again. How do these hold up in 2016?
For me? Fantastic. But, I was always a Korg fan and they will always have a place in my music so I'm a little biased. Is the M1 and Wavestation still the latest and greatest? Of course not but it still holds up against my newer stuff (Uhe Zebra etc.). If you like older Korg stuff it's a must buy and still probably the best emu of hardware around (yes I owned Korg hardware).
Old 18th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have always liked the Korg Wavestation soundscapes, since way back when the keyboard player in our band had the hardware.
I bought now the "legacy" Wavestation, it sounds great!

Now, questions concerning the use of presets. Presets are organized in "Ram cards". Is there any way to select by the type/category, e.g. bass, leads, etc.?
An other question: There is a funny "Preview" system where you select the nature of the playing style, e.g. arpeggio, bass, and when you click the sound, Wavestation plays that sound in that chosen style. But I notice that this "Preview" uses modwheel settings which are not included to the factory presets. Is there a way to launch the presets WITH those Preview modwheek settings?
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hoping Korg make this AAX one day.
Old 18th August 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Picked up Wavestation a few days ago. It sounds fine, but the lack of any ability to automate or bind parameters to external controls really sucks, especially since the UI is so small and fiddly. Really wish I could return or exchange it, but Korg says no.

May or may not grab M1 for my girlfriend, just so she can fill out odds and ends in her tracks with "realistic" presets. That's not a utility I would pay big money for, but at $25, the price is right.
Old 19th August 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Any word on compatibility with OSX 10.11.6 and Digital Performer?

I've not been able to find anything on the Korg sites.
Old 19th August 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I would like to check how bad the tiny UI is before spending.

They have about 10 buy now buttons on the site but no where can I see demo
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yeah, and I can't even install a demo 'cause I've only just upgraded to El Capitan and am testing existing apps and settings before I make an image of the drive.

So, peeps, we're looking for compatibility notes newer than OSX 10.8.5(!) and a demo...

Seriously, the latest Korg note I can find says 10.8.5 or later. Really?

El Cap is a long way down the road from Mountain Lion!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dang. This gets even scarier:

Been looking at the PDFs from Korg's site.

The "KLC_Differences_FAQs" document states that the "Syncrosoft USB Key" is required for authorisation using the "'eLicenser' system and Syncrosoft key made by the Syncrosoft Corporation."

Then it says:

"Note: The Syncrosoft Key is not compatible with the iLok system."

Next up, the KLC_EasyStart PDF:

System Requirements:

Mac OS X (10.2.6 or later)
CPU: Apple G4/800MHz or faster, G4/1.25 or faster recommended
Memory: 256MB or larger, 512MB or larger recommended
Display:1024x768 – 32000 color or higher

I mean, really? 10.2.6 or later? G4 1.25GHz and 256MB RAM?

For the love of God, somebody please enlighten us all as to what's going on with the KLC. Is Korg keeping it up to date? Is it compatible with El Capitan and Windows 10? How about the various DAWs running on these latest OS's?

What I'm most confused about is why Korg would offer a 50%-off deal without clearly stating the current compatibility of the software, along with some sort of reassurance of this into the future.

Again, somebody please enlighten this ignorant monkey as to wassup wit' dat!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Yeah, and I can't even install a demo 'cause I've only just upgraded to El Capitan and am testing existing apps and settings before I make an image of the drive.

So, peeps, we're looking for compatibility notes newer than OSX 10.8.5(!) and a demo...

Seriously, the latest Korg note I can find says 10.8.5 or later. Really?

El Cap is a long way down the road from Mountain Lion!
Hey Monkey Man

I bought the lot this morning, works fine on OS 10.11.4 on my iMac
A bit tedious with the ancient reg/installation process but worth the price and effort as the sounds are really pristine with the retro UI ....Lol

Not for PT11/12 users as none are AAX'ed
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dang, thank you, Deng! LOL

So, what happens with the reg process? I've got iLock, but not that old-fangled Syncrosoft USB Key, nor do I have a spare port for one.

Also, I s'pose Digital Performer compatibility's an unknown then? No word on any of this that you've spotted anywhere?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Dang, thank you, Deng! LOL

So, what happens with the reg process? I've got iLock, but not that old-fangled Syncrosoft USB Key, nor do I have a spare port for one.

Also, I s'pose Digital Performer compatibility's an unknown then? No word on any of this that you've spotted anywhere?
Dongle not required, works as standalone as well.....
You might wanna check their forum re DP compatibility

Been buying up lots of soft/hard synths since March this year to match my geetar gear....Elektrons, Minlogue, Boutiques, Circuit, Volca FM, Keystep, SoftTube Modular, iRis 2, Codex, etc.... maybe a Mother 32 or even a "B" DeepMind to finish off......Lol
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey, I'm not laughing.

IMHO, the BarfRinger sounds bloody sweet; I even posted a heads-up on the Kemper forum about it yesterday.

I've only heard the SOS preview, but to me the filters sound great and the hard sync's to die for. Seriously good stuff, and good on Uli I reckon, 'cause analogue die-hards have had to shell out way too much for minuscule polyphony these past 10 years IMHO. Enter: BarfRinger! LOL

No dongle required sounds great man; thank you. I'll take your advice and head on over to that forum.

You mentioned earlier that the sounds are pristine. I know, they sure are! I tried a cracked version more than 10 years ago as it was the only way to hear it at the time. I'm proud to say that even on my measly budget, I've refused to go anywhere near anything cracked since then. It's been a long wait for a special deal on the KLC; I missed the 2014/15 one/s or whatever.

Thanks again bud. Will check it out now...
πŸ“ Reply