The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland A-88 very high CPU usage
Old 7th December 2014
Here for the gear

Roland A-88 very high CPU usage

Hello all,

I'm using a Roland A-88 at the moment, and I found something very unusual when connected via USB. Whether using CoreMidi mode, or the Roland driver, the CPU usage shoots up to 50 - 60% of one core! This is measure with the Apple Activity Monitor (in Applications / Utilities) on the CPU tab.

This happens on both 10.10 and 10.9, I've tried it on 4 different macs, it's always the same - stupidly high CPU usage for a USB MIDI keyboard. It stops as soon as I unplug the A-88.

Other USB MIDI keyboards hardly register a blip on the CPU meter even when I press down pretty much all the keys at once.

Has anybody else had a similar experience with the A-88? I'd be very interested in hearing from any other A-88 users whether they get such CPU loads.

Cheers
Grant
Attached Thumbnails
Roland A-88 very high CPU usage-88-mavericks-cpu.png  
Old 7th December 2014
Deleted User
1. Sounds like the Roland is sending data out on a continual basis eating up the midi stream. Check the D-BEAM controller
2. Have you tried using the AC power instead of USB power?
3. It would be interesting to connect it via the midi port to another midi box and see if the numbers are the same which would help you isolate it to the USB port being the issue. Just a couple of thoughts.

*** Ill check my setup here with Garage Band, MOTU MTPAV USB just to see the diff when I get a chance

0.1 on my CPU usage here with me laying on the keys
Old 9th December 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've recorded the input from both USB and MIDI, there are no extra events happening, just the keys being pressed and the relevant controllers when they are used.

The keyboard behaves fine under MIDI, the high CPU load only occurs when connected via USB. That's whether I use USB or power supply power, doesn't matter which port I plug into, or if I use a hub.

I'm assuming now that in addition to the USB MIDI signal, which still works, the A-88 is putting a bunch of extraneous trash onto the USB bus and the CPU is chugging away processing it all. Looks like it's time for a repair - unless I like dedicating nearly a quarter of my quad core to processing the keyboard :-|

Thanks
Grant
Old 9th December 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantozolins View Post
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I've recorded the input from both USB and MIDI, there are no extra events happening, just the keys being pressed and the relevant controllers when they are used.

The keyboard behaves fine under MIDI, the high CPU load only occurs when connected via USB. That's whether I use USB or power supply power, doesn't matter which port I plug into, or if I use a hub.

I'm assuming now that in addition to the USB MIDI signal, which still works, the A-88 is putting a bunch of extraneous trash onto the USB bus and the CPU is chugging away processing it all. Looks like it's time for a repair - unless I like dedicating nearly a quarter of my quad core to processing the keyboard :-|

Thanks
Grant
Im wondering if the driver has an audio driver as well included with it and its sucking up your CPU? Id say its your USB on the keyboard though since regular midi port works fine. Please update when you get it fixed
Old 9th December 2014
Here for the gear

Hey Shanabit,

The Roland A-88 does come with a MIDI driver for Mac, but it also works as a CoreMidi device also. The high CPU behaviour happens whether using the Roland driver or CoreMidi (I tested this after uninstalling the Roland driver)

So I think it's pretty safe to say in this situation that it's the keyboard USB causing havoc!
Old 10th December 2014
Deleted User
The regular MIDI OUT on the keyboard works fine but the USB port causes the issue whether you have it bus powered or AC line power. Has to be the keyboards USB function
Old 17th May 2016
Here for the gear

Having the exact same issue, any resolution?
Old 10th June 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprimrose85 View Post
Having the exact same issue, any resolution?
I'm having a similar issue too. Testing on my 2.6 i7 MBP and my 3.5 i7 iMac both having the same issue. Trouble shot with a Novation Impulse and Korg NanoPad and no such numbers. Any resolution?
Attached Thumbnails
Roland A-88 very high CPU usage-screen-shot-2016-06-10-9.55.00-am.jpg   Roland A-88 very high CPU usage-screen-shot-2016-06-10-9.55.16-am.jpg  
Old 11th June 2016
Same problem here! "Solved" it by using midi instead..
Old 18th June 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus Faber View Post
Same problem here! "Solved" it by using midi instead..
I have an old Edirol UM-2EX midi interface so I gave it a shot too and yep. "Solved". I'm hoping a firmware update can clean this up!
Old 26th November 2017
Here for the gear

I started this thread nearly 3 years ago, thinking that I might have an individually faulty keyboard. However it seems that other users report exactly the same problem. I have written to Roland UK (there seems to be no english language contact on the Roland Japan corporate site that I can find) describing the problem.

I hope that the Roland UK folks pass this info on to Roland Japan - after all, the A-88 is still a current Roland product!
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Maniac
No issue with mine on Win10 via USB
Old 15th January 2019
Here for the gear
@ grantozolins , Did you ever get any response? My Edirol went bad and the issue still exists. Just curious before I buy another Midi Interface.
Old 21st January 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javy Montoya View Post
@ grantozolins , Did you ever get any response? My Edirol went bad and the issue still exists. Just curious before I buy another Midi Interface.
I am currently also experiencing this issue. I have opened a customer service report with Roland. Did anyone ever hear anything more about this?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hey johnonguitar7, I did not. Odd man. I'm just using a midi interface as a workaround. Lame.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search