The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Windows 8.1 DAW software? DAW Software
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Windows 8.1 DAW software?

Still running Windows 7 on my main PC. SONAR 8.5 (yeah, it's old) is my DAW of choice. The X series SONAR has an interface that I cannot stand and just bundled in more features for new people that I don't care about so I've been using the same app since 2009.

Just picked up a Surface Pro 3 on a Black Friday sale. I don't intend on this being a DAW, but I want to try some stuff on in just to mess around.

My 5 year old version of SONAR doesn't work (shocking huh?) so I'm looking for something different.

What's good these days? Absolutely cannot have a dongle and must run Windows 8.
Old 3rd December 2014
Gear Addict

funny you should ask, i was in search of this answer today (a daw for my sp3)
funnier still that you hate sonar's X line, because thats looking like the only PC daw that deliberately implemented multi touch

i just bought X3 off steam for $30, there are about 17 hours left to get it at that price

i've seen moderate success with reason 8, and theres a tablet-flavored FL Studio in the windows app store for $10 that i didnt bother to research
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
I'm not sure what your problem is but my brother runs Sonar 8.03 just fine on his new laptop with Windows 8.1.
Old 3rd December 2014
I've successfully run Ableton Live 9 on a Dell Venue Pro tablet running Windows 8.1. No dongles required... well, except an audio interface!
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
I'm not sure what your problem is but my brother runs Sonar 8.03 just fine on his new laptop with Windows 8.1.
It Simply wouldn't install, but if somebody managed to get it to work I can muck around with it and get my hands dirty, thanks.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
It Simply wouldn't install, but if somebody managed to get it to work I can muck around with it and get my hands dirty, thanks.
That's odd. At the beginning of the installation it asks wether you want to install the 64 bit version or 32 so make sure it's 64. Also make sure all legal agreements are checked properly.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Sonar X3 works just fine and is touch-enabled. Just upgrade.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
Sonar X3 works just fine and is touch-enabled. Just upgrade.
The interface is awful, sorry I wouldn't upgrade to it if it were free.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
That's odd. At the beginning of the installation it asks wether you want to install the 64 bit version or 32 so make sure it's 64. Also make sure all legal agreements are checked properly.
Pilot error on my part, installing now.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
The interface is awful, sorry I wouldn't upgrade to it if it were free.
Compared to sonar 8.5? lolz
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Compared to sonar 8.5? lolz
I didn't upgrade for the same reason. I really hate the X series GUI. I guess it's in the eye of the user.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Well, ok. I was never fond of the sonar 8 GUI - but I've used cakewalk software since it was simply called cakewalk.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Well, ok. I was never fond of the sonar 8 GUI - but I've used cakewalk software since it was simply called cakewalk.
me as well, just can't stand the X series GUI and all the "features" they've added since X have been dreck that I simply don't need or want.

Anywhoo, got 8.5 working. Now I just need to find a cheap USB interface that isn't ****ty is is preferably bus-powered.
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
me as well, just can't stand the X series GUI and all the "features" they've added since X have been dreck that I simply don't need or want.

Anywhoo, got 8.5 working. Now I just need to find a cheap USB interface that isn't ****ty is is preferably bus-powered.
to each their own
Old 3rd December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Now I just need to find a cheap USB interface that isn't ****ty is is preferably bus-powered.
Steinberg UR22 | Sweetwater.com

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun1...nberg-ur22.htm
Old 4th December 2014
Lives for gear

I started out with Sonar 7, I now have Sonar X3 Producer. I don't have a problem with the X series GUI. Accept change (which is constant) and go with it.

BTW, Sonar X3 runs equally on my Win 7 64 bit OS system and my Win 8.1 64 bit OS systems. It even installed and runs OK on Win 10 Beta.
Old 6th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
Accept change (which is constant) and go with it.
Only sheep accept bad change, sorry I'm not giving them any more money for a worse product.

Got everything to work just fine, thanks all.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search